Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 171 of 179 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 2678
  1. #2551
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    81,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    [/B]

    Liberals know how to find what they are looking for…and they will just keep looking until they find what they want. Conservatives, admittedly, base a lot on personal life experience……something many liberals seem to have very little of.

    Many of you libs need to get off your high horse where you think you thought process is so high minded and superior to others.
    removing the drug language, because I think we both agree that is it's own topic.

    Remove liberals- education means what, you become smart? No, of course not. It teaches you how to acquire information by researching, finding, then validating information. And then the best way to summarize it when making a decision. So while sure, there are people on all sides that look for the answer they want, the more education you receive, the more academically humble you become (religious professors are a great example-most are agnostic or athiest).

    We all have life experiences. Every one of us. But if you formulate general opinions of the 6 billion people on this planet, or to a smaller degree, people who have different paths than you, from your experiences, well you are deriving yourself from the basic element of empathy, and furthermore, will never be able to understand the whole, "walk a mile in their shoes" mentality.

    This isn't 1985, where our information comes from local/national news. Everything you need is at your fingertips.

    My thought process is ever evolving. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Humans are always changing. But wagging your finger at a fact right in front of you is a very simple way to be ignored, or worse, chastised.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  2. #2552
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    10,871
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Is there anything that embodies a modern conservative more than this?

    Sure, it's a literal fact but I don't think it's true because it doesn't feel right to me.
    iT’s coMmON SeNSe.

  3. #2553
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    [/B]

    Liberals know how to find what they are looking for…and they will just keep looking until they find what they want. Conservatives, admittedly, base a lot on personal life experience……something many liberals seem to have very little of.

    And the bolded portion……this is true.

    Consider……Do you think that there is a good chance that many deaths from drug overdoses are are attributed to other physical conditions. It seems more acceptable to have "heart failure" on a death certificate than "cocaine overdose." Or death by an undetermined cause. This probably happens more than we might want to think. Kind of hard to dress up a gun death. And a simple question……(if you have kids) are you more concerned about thwm gwetting involved with drugs or guns\???

    More of that rational thinking.

    Many of you libs need to get off your high horse where you think you thought process is so high minded and superior to others.
    If I have come off as being on a high horse, I apologize and hope you reconsider the points I've tried to make.

    Going off of a feeling just doesn't sit right with me. When discussing issues about society, trends, policy, etc. why not base our opinion on available information? The argument of "data can be skewed to prove either side" may have little truth to it, but when pressed to provide your side's data, you couldn't. If anything, that only highlights the fallacy in the "there's skewed data for both sides" argument.

    I think the real issue I take with you is how dismissive you are of information. You have a view of things based on what is seemingly very little (your own gut feelings and the people you've interacted with). When presented with an alternative viewpoint that is supported by more robust experience and data, you scoff at it in disbelief, dismissing it without reading it. Perhaps read the things I, or others, link and respond to what you read. Engaging in discussion in this manner at least demonstrates a willingness to listen, learn, and offer meaningful counterpoints.

    Please understand that when I, or others, present data that disproves your long held beliefs, it is not a judgement on who you are as a person. Being wrong or reconsidering your stance on something does not hurt and may actually feel liberating, no matter what age you are.

    When I, and others, hear your viewpoint, there is usually not much else to go on because you rarely provide evidence to back up what you say. In earlier posts you mention people you know, and then share your opinion based on that. If I did that, I would say that white people are spoiled coke addicts because that's what I experienced in my interactions with many white people. But, I know this to not be true because of reading and listening to others. So, it might be worth it for you to open your mind to the possibility that your viewpoint might not match the overall reality about trends in crime, shootings, and other topics.

  4. #2554
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Is there anything that embodies a modern ,liberal more than this?

    Sure, it's a literal fact but and it agrees with what I want it to say so why go any further. No need to did any deeper. It's just like global warming er climate change. It's just like abortion er women's health. We know how the vast majority wants it so why put it to a vote. It's just like voter registration er suppression. Most people are ion favor of it but just don't let them vote on it.
    What do you mean go any further. I literally posted a fact and you said "I don't believe it." That is very different than analyzing what that fact means.

    We can't even get to that stage until we all acknowledge it's a literal fact.

  5. #2555
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    47,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Liberals know how to find what they are looking for…and they will just keep looking until they find what they want. Conservatives, admittedly, base a lot on personal life experience……something many liberals seem to have very little of.

    And the bolded portion……this is true.

    Consider……Do you think that there is a good chance that many deaths from drug overdoses are are attributed to other physical conditions. It seems more acceptable to have "heart failure" on a death certificate than "cocaine overdose." Or death by an undetermined cause. This probably happens more than we might want to think. Kind of hard to dress up a gun death. And a simple question……(if you have kids) are you more concerned about thwm gwetting involved with drugs or guns\???

    More of that rational thinking.

    Many of you libs need to get off your high horse where you think you thought process is so high minded and superior to others.
    What's ironic about the bolded is if you take any class on analyzing data, the first thing they tell you is that your singular experience is a tiny fraction of the data and to not use it as being indicative of large measurements.

    But consider how delusional you are that to you, rationale thinking is that rather than believing the actual data, you invent an entire conspiracy theory that doctors are hiding drug overdose deaths so that gun deaths will look like the most prevalent among children.


    Everyone knows conspiracy theorists are known for being the most rational thinkers!

  6. #2556
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    49,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    I am not highlightng drug use. I am only questioning soe article someone posted as a bit hard to believe. That's a;; I ever said/
    This embodies many of your positions. Facts are not important. Belief of what you think is true is. You and brett share a lot in common.

  7. #2557
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    106,793
    There are two different types of people:

    Those who don’t know that Reefer Madness is a parody of Reefer Madness and those who are to be taken seriously.

  8. #2558
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    68,047
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    What led to this belief of yours or this assumption that drugs kill more kids than guns? What is the root of this belief? What helped to shape this belief?
    https://youtu.be/AVQ8byG2mY8


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  9. #2559
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    68,047
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Sure....if you're an old dummy.
    Lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  10. #2560
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    68,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    [/B]

    Liberals know how to find what they are looking for…and they will just keep looking until they find what they want. Conservatives, admittedly, base a lot on personal life experience……something many liberals seem to have very little of.

    And the bolded portion……this is true.

    Consider……Do you think that there is a good chance that many deaths from drug overdoses are are attributed to other physical conditions. It seems more acceptable to have "heart failure" on a death certificate than "cocaine overdose." Or death by an undetermined cause. This probably happens more than we might want to think. Kind of hard to dress up a gun death. And a simple question……(if you have kids) are you more concerned about thwm gwetting involved with drugs or guns\???

    More of that rational thinking.

    Many of you libs need to get off your high horse where you think you thought process is so high minded and superior to others.
    Superior to you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  11. #2561
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What's ironic about the bolded is if you take any class on analyzing data, the first thing they tell you is that your singular experience is a tiny fraction of the data and to not use it as being indicative of large measurements.

    But consider how delusional you are that to you, rationale thinking is that rather than believing the actual data, you invent an entire conspiracy theory that doctors are hiding drug overdose deaths so that gun deaths will look like the most prevalent among children.


    Everyone knows conspiracy theorists are known for being the most rational thinkers!
    Your post really proves my point that many see what they want to see.

    Let's take a look. Here is what I wrote (that you actually have in front of you while you try to respond)……

    [I]Consider……Do you think that there is a good chance that many deaths from drug overdoses are are attributed to other physical conditions. It seems more acceptable to have "heart failure" on a death certificate than "cocaine overdose." Or death by an undetermined cause. This probably happens more than we might want to think. Kind of hard to dress up a gun death. And a simple question……(if you have kids) are you more concerned about them getting involved with drugs or guns\???

    Where in the original comment am I alluding to "conspiracy theories" or "doctors… hiding drug overdose deaths so that gun deaths will look like the most prevalent among children."??? I never said that but that is what you "saw." This is the problem with reviewing research.

    And you're studying to be a lawyer???

    To be clear (as if that will mean anything here)…all I ever said my first response along these lines was that gun deaths surpassing drug deaths seems a bit hard to believe. I don't doubt the number of gun deaths……it just seems hard to believe that gun deaths would outnumber drug deaths given the amount of drugs available and the rampant use of drugs. . It still does and I think that there must be other reasons at play in tallying drug deaths. A

    And that point about doctors and death certificates……that happens. Dead is dead. Why muddy up someone's (or someone's child's) reputation, both now and for future reference, by placing a character harming reference in the cause of death??? Dead is dead. Why not ease the pain to survivors if possible???

  12. #2562
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Superior to you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not even close.

  13. #2563
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    68,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Not even close.
    Did you have to step over any bodies b/c of the legal weed yet?
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  14. #2564
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    81,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Your post really proves my point that many see what they want to see.

    Let's take a look. Here is what I wrote (that you actually have in front of you while you try to respond)……

    [I]Consider……Do you think that there is a good chance that many deaths from drug overdoses are are attributed to other physical conditions. It seems more acceptable to have "heart failure" on a death certificate than "cocaine overdose." Or death by an undetermined cause. This probably happens more than we might want to think. Kind of hard to dress up a gun death. And a simple question……(if you have kids) are you more concerned about them getting involved with drugs or guns\???

    Where in the original comment am I alluding to "conspiracy theories" or "doctors… hiding drug overdose deaths so that gun deaths will look like the most prevalent among children."??? I never said that but that is what you "saw." This is the problem with reviewing research.

    And you're studying to be a lawyer???

    To be clear (as if that will mean anything here)…all I ever said my first response along these lines was that gun deaths surpassing drug deaths seems a bit hard to believe. I don't doubt the number of gun deaths……it just seems hard to believe that gun deaths would outnumber drug deaths given the amount of drugs available and the rampant use of drugs. . It still does and I think that there must be other reasons at play in tallying drug deaths. A

    And that point about doctors and death certificates……that happens. Dead is dead. Why muddy up someone's (or someone's child's) reputation, both now and for future reference, by placing a character harming reference in the cause of death??? Dead is dead. Why not ease the pain to survivors if possible???
    I mean, I can play the assumption game too- how many strong young bodies have underlying health conditions where a drug prompts a failure or causes death in a different manner than drug overdose?

    I get your point- a guy has a bad ticker, snorts coke, dies. We attribute the death to his heart. But in reality, we typically state, "heart attack triggered by cocaine", because during an autopsy, the drug would be found. A 16 year old kid likely doesn't have a bad ticker..

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  15. #2565
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I mean, I can play the assumption game too- how many strong young bodies have underlying health conditions where a drug prompts a failure or causes death in a different manner than drug overdose?

    I get your point- a guy has a bad ticker, snorts coke, dies. We attribute the death to his heart. But in reality, we typically state, "heart attack triggered by cocaine", because during an autopsy, the drug would be found. A 16 year old kid likely doesn't have a bad ticker..
    Nice post but not really enough.

    Consider……

    Sonny finds dad's pistol, droops it on the floor, it goes off and kills little sister. That goes as a death from guns.

    Sonny is playing with dad's pistol and it goes pff and kills a kid across the street. That does as a death from guns.

    Some hop head is high from cocaine (can't be from pot since pot is so beneficial to all of us [wink, wink]) drives his car into a tree and kills himself……that goes down as a death from a traffic accident.

    Another addict under the influence of some recreational drug (love that term) gets set off and kills his wife……that goes down as a murder.

    Another freak falls off the roof……that's an accident (or maybe a suicide0.

    And on and on.

    Pretty hard to misinterpret a dead body with a hole in the chest and a piece of lead inside. It's a gun death.

    This is really all I ever said when I said that i found that original post (of gun deaths among kids being greater than drug deaths) a little hard to believe. For me, it is a little hard to believe. I do not doubt the gun death number (whatever it was) but I think you can question the drug death number (whatever it was).

    Can't you see that???

    And just for laughs……suppose there are two buttons in front of you: 1 button would get rid of all guns (except for the military) and the 2nd button would get rid of all drugs. You can opnly push one. Which button would you push???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •