Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clay Holmes for Closer?

Since he's been acquired by the yankees he's been lights out. Why not give him an opportunity to replace Chapman considering this is his last year, and the yankees need a future closer anyway?

Having one person designated as closer is stupid imo.

Depending on the situation, every bullpen arm (for the most part) should be interchangeable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Having one person designated as closer is stupid imo.

Depending on the situation, every bullpen arm (for the most part) should be interchangeable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    agreed. I was happy to hear in the broadcast today that Boone said he had 4-5 guys in that BP that he felt were able to close games and that they were going to play the matchups going forward.

IMO, Holmes should be the guy, at least for now that comes in to get the last outs in a big game situation. Chapman simply can't pitch effectively in close games with runners on.

It sure will be nice to have the 40m were spending on Chapman, Britton and Green off the books next yr. It will be nice to have that money to spend else where

[QUOTE=dayners81;34359509]agreed. I was happy to hear in the broadcast today that Boone said he had 4-5 guys in that BP that he felt were able to close games and that they were going to play the matchups going forward.

IMO, Holmes should be the guy, at least for now that comes in to get the last outs in a big game situation. Chapman simply can't pitch effectively in close games with runners on.

It sure will be nice to have the 40m were spending on Chapman, Britton and Green off the books next yr. It will be nice to have that money to spend else where[/QUOTE]

If we were able to trade Chappy and Green NOW I'd be thrilled. And I'm not even thinking money, just I think we have guys who I'd rather see in there

Imo, 19 scoreless innings as of today qualifies him for the role. He has what it takes.

I would agree Doc. He looked like he was made to take over that role. I thought it was going to be Lo. Looking like I was wrong.

With that demon sinker and much improved SL that tunnels off the sinker incredibly well, he's look damn near unhittable

Id much rather see him in that role than Chapman

I think it's going to a combination for the foreseeable future until Chapman is either traded or becomes a free agent. Chapman is 9 for 9 in save opportunities. So, if there are lefties coming up in the ninth inning or if there's the bottom of the lineup due up, Chapman should pitch, but if there are 3 RH power hitters in the middle of the lineup, then Holmes is the man any day of the week.

Holmes is only under control for 2 more seasons, I'm curious if it wouldn't be wise just to take a chance and throw him a 5 year 20 million contract right now just to lock him in for additional 3 more years and potentially save a load of cash as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Holmes is only under control for 2 more seasons, I'm curious if it wouldn't be wise just to take a chance and throw him a 5 year 20 million contract right now just to lock him in for additional 3 more years and potentially save a load of cash as well.
    I agree would be smart and advantageous, however would 5/20 get it done? You DO NOT want to risk insulting and alienating your primo BP arm.

Clay Holmes since April 9: 4-0, 21 IP, 0.00 ERA, 21 K, 2 BB, 10 H, 4 S. Perfection, what price do they put on it?

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I agree would be smart and advantageous, however would 5/20 get it done? You DO NOT want to risk insulting and alienating your primo BP arm.

Clay Holmes since April 9: 4-0, 21 IP, 0.00 ERA, 21 K, 2 BB, 10 H, 4 S. Perfection, what price do they put on it?
    How can you insult someone when you're the primary reason they're not sitting at home right now without a job? Outside of that I think it's easy to forget just how much money is 20 million dollars when you see the salaries of what other ppl are getting. Clay holmes has never even made the full league minimum before. But if he passes on an offer like that, and has to have TJ surgery or has a horrible year for whatever reason how soon will he be forgotten and never make it back to the majors? That's a risky proposition when someone is offering to make you rich playing baseball.

Yes!
    Let me rephrase that-- Hell Yes!
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 05-23-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    How can you insult someone when you're the primary reason they're not sitting at home right now without a job? Outside of that I think it's easy to forget just how much money is 20 million dollars when you see the salaries of what other ppl are getting. Clay holmes has never even made the full league minimum before. But if he passes on an offer like that, and has to have TJ surgery or has a horrible year for whatever reason how soon will he be forgotten and never make it back to the majors? That's a risky proposition when someone is offering to make you rich playing baseball.
    If I am him? 5 for 20? All I would be thinking is, I will clear around 11 or 12 mil. If I make smart, safe investments with 5 mil of that, I will likely never have to work after baseball.

Ignorance is bliss

I think he would probably want a bit more. But, then it gets risky for the Yanks. RPs are the most inconsistent guys there are. The Yankees have been blessed with good RPs in the past that have defied this trend but just look at Lasagna this year. Holmes is a guy who really struggled with control before. He is a candidate to lose his command and fall off a cliff any year.

How did the Yanks acquire Holmes? I know he was a Pirate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    How did the Yanks acquire Holmes? I know he was a Pirate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Diego Castillo and Hoy Jun Park I believe. Two AAAA middle INF most likely. Excellent trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast