Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 222 of 238 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 3569
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Thatís anyones guess. Argue whatever you want but if the cubs decided to spend top dollar they could easily spend enough to get those 4 guys.
    In theory they could, but if they brought back Willy, signed 2 of the 3 SS, and signed both Rodon and Senga theyíd be well over the lux tax. I think we all know the odds of something like that happening next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    In theory they could, but if they brought back Willy, signed 2 of the 3 SS, and signed both Rodon and Senga theyíd be well over the lux tax. I think we all know the odds of something like that happening next year.
    Yep, very unlikely. However, if they do intend on being a top 5 spending team again, as some suggest they typically are, they will have to be over that first tier on the LT penalties. SD, is 6th highest in salary and over the LT> Yep, that LARGE MARKET SD team is over the LT threshold.

I think what Petrey is suggesting would be awesome. And they CAN do that if they wanted. But I think we all know they will not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Yep, very unlikely. However, if they do intend on being a top 5 spending team again, as some suggest they typically are, they will have to be over that first tier on the LT penalties. SD, is 6th highest in salary and over the LT> Yep, that LARGE MARKET SD team is over the LT threshold.

I think what Petrey is suggesting would be awesome. And they CAN do that if they wanted. But I think we all know they will not do it.
    It would be awesome, but there will be other teams trying to sign free agents this offseason too. Iím expecting the cubs will try to do half of that offseason and try to sign 1 of the SS and 1 potentially high end SP. Two of each would be great, but itís wishful thinking. One of each might be wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It would be awesome, but there will be other teams trying to sign free agents this offseason too. Iím expecting the cubs will try to do half of that offseason and try to sign 1 of the SS and 1 potentially high end SP. Two of each would be great, but itís wishful thinking. One of each might be wishful thinking.
    To be clear, this is my thoughts as well. Maybe add a pen arm or two and a left handed bat and call it the off-season. I think that is the best they can hope for tbh.
    Last edited by rcal10; 09-24-2022 at 05:34 PM.

I'd be happy with an off-season of one of each. More would be nice but one of each would still be a great off-season.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

I'm tempering my expectations this winter on the SP side. I could see them signing a couple of mid tier SP for depth/ insurance, putting Thompson in the multi inning role unless there's injuries.

If I'm the Cubs and they want to win next year I'd take a good look at Verlander. He could add a lot of value mentoring our young pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I'm tempering my expectations this winter on the SP side. I could see them signing a couple of mid tier SP for depth/ insurance, putting Thompson in the multi inning role unless there's injuries.

If I'm the Cubs and they want to win next year I'd take a good look at Verlander. He could add a lot of value mentoring our young pitchers.
    Wouldnt hate it but im expecting one of the TORPs and one SS this offseason. Anything less than that is a failure imo. 2 premium free agents should be the minimum for us this offseason.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Wouldnt hate it but im expecting one of the TORPs and one SS this offseason. Anything less than that is a failure imo. 2 premium free agents should be the minimum for us this offseason.

The Cubs will need to improve on the offense by scoring 100 more runs and prevent about 100 fewer runs from scoring to realistically compete. Assuming they'd even be able to bring back Willson that's still 100 more runs to score. They need all-star numbers out of 3B, 1B, and CF next year. Luckily those positions have been so bad this year it should be easy to improve them.

Suzuki would have to improve, Mervis would have to produce, and Davis would probably have to come up by the ASB and produce, and we'd need to sign one of the 3 SS.

This team isn't even much of a different position than they were before entering last offseason. We thought Davis and Kilian were going to come up mid-season. We again need to sign one of these FA SS, we need another TORP, and we're looking for Hendricks to rebound etc. But now we're losing Contreras.

The Cubs have to go in hard on the FA market this offseason if they want to compete next year, similar to last offseason.

2 yr 90 million contract. Someone might get desperate and offer him that third year tho

The Cubs will need to improve on the offense by scoring 100 more runs and prevent about 100 fewer runs from scoring to realistically compete. Assuming they'd even be able to bring back Willson that's still 100 more runs to score. They need all-star numbers out of 3B, 1B, and CF next year. Luckily those positions have been so bad this year it should be easy to improve them.

Suzuki would have to improve, Mervis would have to produce, and Davis would probably have to come up by the ASB and produce, and we'd need to sign one of the 3 SS.

This team isn't even much of a different position than they were before entering last offseason. We thought Davis and Kilian were going to come up mid-season. We again need to sign one of these FA SS, we need another TORP, and we're looking for Hendricks to rebound etc. But now we're losing Contreras.

The Cubs have to go in hard on the FA market this offseason if they want to compete next year, similar to last offseason.
    Completely agree, Stratos.

If we're being realistic about the cubs chances of being a legit playoff contender next season, we have to agree that this roster positional wise only has 3 hitters under control that are worth being starters in Hoerner Happ and Suzuki, everyone else are bench guys at best.
    Im just saying that they need to do alot more to the roster then just add one of those SS and a TOR arm to be legit contenders, they have alot of work to do with that roster and need some of those prospects to pan out before we can say theyre good to compete and contend for and in the playoffs.

Why, i do hope to see an improved roster and season, im just not seeing them becoming a legit playoff team in just one offseason .

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If we're being realistic about the cubs chances of being a legit playoff contender next season, we have to agree that this roster positional wise only has 3 hitters under control that are worth being starters in Hoerner Happ and Suzuki, everyone else are bench guys at best.
    Im just saying that they need to do alot more to the roster then just add one of those SS and a TOR arm to be legit contenders, they have alot of work to do with that roster and need some of those prospects to pan out before we can say theyre good to compete and contend for and in the playoffs.

Why, i do hope to see an improved roster and season, im just not seeing them becoming a legit playoff team in just one offseason .

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I'm not banking on them being a surefire legit playoff contender next year, but with a couple things going their way there's no reason they can't being a contender for this garbage division.

If you are saying that they only have Happ, Suzuki, and Hoerner and then 1 of the SS's, that's half the lineup. Mervis is most likely your starting 1B so that's 5 spots filled up. Assuming they put one of those SS's at 3B then 2B is Madrgial/Morel/Bote/McKinstry, that's 6 spots.

C, CF, and DH is all that's remaining.

Gomes is still going to be around next year and offense out of the C isn't that big of a deal, but I would really like to see the Cubs get involved with the Blue Jays and their logjam of catchers because I really dont want to see PJ Higgins be the guy that's sharing time with Gomes back there. I'm still firmly in the trade Ian Happ camp and he would be a guy I would be trying to push on the Blue Jays in a package for Danny Jansen, and then replace Happ with Conforto.

I have no idea what they are going to do with CF and DH. There are a handful of CF that are good defenders but terrible hitters available. Bellinger's name has been brought up. I've brought up trading a bucket of balls for Florial. There's really no good option there. I dont see Davis being anything more than a midseason call up, assuming everything goes swimmingly next year and that he's not used in a trade for a pitcher. Same story for DH in that I can't see anyone that's head and shoulders above crossing your fingers on Reyes or just letting Wisdom do it. Maybe they try and reduce the strikeouts and get someone like Mancini for $8M or something. I dunno.

Their goal should be to get a lineup together thats good enough to let the pitching do most of the heavy lifting and then add some more pieces to the lineup next offseason.
    Last edited by cuzi; 09-25-2022 at 06:52 AM.

Marquee showed that Cubs have 3rd best SP ERA in the 2nd half in all of MLB.

Marquee showed that Cubs have 3rd best SP ERA in the 2nd half in all of MLB.
    Theyíve played at an 85 win pace since then too. 32-29.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    I'm not banking on them being a surefire legit playoff contender next year, but with a couple things going their way there's no reason they can't being a contender for this garbage division.

If you are saying that they only have Happ, Suzuki, and Hoerner and then 1 of the SS's, that's half the lineup. Mervis is most likely your starting 1B so that's 5 spots filled up. Assuming they put one of those SS's at 3B then 2B is Madrgial/Morel/Bote/McKinstry, that's 6 spots.

C, CF, and DH is all that's remaining.

Gomes is still going to be around next year and offense out of the C isn't that big of a deal, but I would really like to see the Cubs get involved with the Blue Jays and their logjam of catchers because I really dont want to see PJ Higgins be the guy that's sharing time with Gomes back there. I'm still firmly in the trade Ian Happ camp and he would be a guy I would be trying to push on the Blue Jays in a package for Danny Jansen, and then replace Happ with Conforto.

I have no idea what they are going to do with CF and DH. There are a handful of CF that are good defenders but terrible hitters available. Bellinger's name has been brought up. I've brought up trading a bucket of balls for Florial. There's really no good option there. I dont see Davis being anything more than a midseason call up, assuming everything goes swimmingly next year and that he's not used in a trade for a pitcher. Same story for DH in that I can't see anyone that's head and shoulders above crossing your fingers on Reyes or just letting Wisdom do it. Maybe they try and reduce the strikeouts and get someone like Mancini for $8M or something. I dunno.

Their goal should be to get a lineup together thats good enough to let the pitching do most of the heavy lifting and then add some more pieces to the lineup next offseason.
    I donít think the Cubs will trade Happ. They could have probably traded him at the deadline but they didnít . I think they will add some sort of catcher this offseason . I donít see Higgins on the roster next year . They will probably go with defense at C and CF . Mervis at 1B and hopefully one of the SS . They should just non tender Reyes and sign Conforto who probably will take a short term deal . Happ / Conforto / Suzuki can rotate at the DH spot .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk