Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 233 of 233 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233
Results 3,481 to 3,493 of 3493
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I wouldn't want to gut our farm system for an extra year of Ohtani.
    If you can get him then you get him. The cubs don’t have anyone in the farm system who should be a dealbreaker to acquire the most talented player in the world.

So we have Ohtani and no farm system if we trade for him. I know our pitching is better than the angels but they have Mike Trout paired with him and the angels still suck. This team has too many holes offensively to trade the farm away for a 29 year old. And the rotation is going to have more holes after Hendricks and Stroman are gone after next season. You can't build a whole team thru free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Ohtani isn't likely to make FA. If he's traded, he's going to almost assuredly sign an extension there. The Cubs have a very deep farm and Shoehi Ohtani is the most unique player baseball has seen in a very, very long time. The Cubs should be entirely interested in Ohtani. Much like Soto, it's very hard to lose those kinds of trades.
    Agreed. If they are going to get Ohtani it will need to be in a trade. You give whatever it takes. Now, him with a SS and Senga would be an awesome off season.

I do think they have one big”ish” trade in them for next year. Maybe not Ohtani, but I could see Bieber, or someone like that. Get one pitcher via FA and another in a trade. Then add SS and small moves. Bellinger would be good. That is as good as I could “somewhat” realistically hope for. Rotation would be very solid with Steele as a #4. Solid defense and enough offense would be a mid 80 win team to me. And if that big”ish” trade was Ohtani, I see no reason they wouldn’t be a solid 87-90 win team if they also made the FA moves we expect.
    Last edited by rcal10; Today at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    So we have Ohtani and no farm system if we trade for him. I know our pitching is better than the angels but they have Mike Trout paired with him and the angels still suck. This team has too many holes offensively to trade the farm away for a 29 year old. And the rotation is going to have more holes after Hendricks and Stroman are gone after next season. You can't build a whole team thru free agency.
    Cubs farm system is very deep. They can give up 4 top guys and still not be gutted. If they lost a pitcher, PCA, Alcantara and Davis they still have Canario, the other pitchers not taken, Mervis, Hernandez etc…. I wouldn’t worry about a gutted farm. Not when you are getting Ohtani.

Eliminated From the Playoffs in Early May MONTHLY IGT

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    It’s one year and he’s making $30 million. It’s not like it’ll take the entire farm system to get him. It’ll take like a third of the cost of the Soto trade. He also just turned 28 in July. Next season is considered his age 28 season.

The padres gave up 2 guys who were very highly ranked but who were losing some prospect momentum. Gore lost a ton of momentum. Abrams really struggled in mlb and did alright in AAA. They gave up a solid former 1st round pick in Hassell who was performing pretty well before the trade. They gave up a very faster riser which a ton of upside in Wood. The last piece was a very talented pitcher, but one who was 18 and playing in the complex league with less than 30 pro innings.

A third to half of that trade is one fading top prospect (Davis), one rising stud prospect (PCA), one solid 1st round pick type good prospect (Wicks), and maybe a filler piece with upside in a low level. That’s not depleting the Cubs farm system.
    Last edited by CP_414; Today at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Just looking at our production at 1B this year....

Mervis aint gonna have to be a stud to improve on this year...

That is ugly....

Cubs 1B 2022

.233/.302/.348/.650 K 25.3% BB 8.4%

Mervis

.309/.379/.605/.984 K 15.1% BB 8.7%
    Exactly

Davis just went deep in AFL play. Such a great way to watch a game.

Mervis line drive double off right field fence.

Another Cub heard from. Cassie doubles off centerfield wall. Drive home 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If you can get him then you get him. The cubs don’t have anyone in the farm system who should be a dealbreaker to acquire the most talented player in the world.
    If he'd extend I'd trade maybe a couple of our top 10 for him. But I wouldn't gut the farm. I think the Angels will ask the moon for him and someone will give it to them.

edit: okay maybe 3 of our top 10.
    Last edited by Stratos; Today at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Ohtani isn't likely to make FA. If he's traded, he's going to almost assuredly sign an extension there. The Cubs have a very deep farm and Shoehi Ohtani is the most unique player baseball has seen in a very, very long time. The Cubs should be entirely interested in Ohtani. Much like Soto, it's very hard to lose those kinds of trades.
    I dunno, if I were Ohtani i'd test free agency. Also, his contract value/AAV is very hard to gauge since he's unique, it would be hard for his agent to know if any extension offer is fair or not compared to what he may get in FA because we just don't know what a high bidder is willing to spend. It's possible he could 400m or even 500m in free agency, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It’ll take like a third of the cost of the Soto trade. He also just turned 28 in July. Next season is considered his age 28 season.
    I'd dunno about that, he's also better than Soto, probably by a pretty good amount. The only thing is the difference in prime years if Soto extends.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I dunno, if I were Ohtani i'd test free agency. Also, his contract value/AAV is very hard to gauge since he's unique, it would be hard for his agent to know if any extension offer is fair or not compared to what he may get in FA because we just don't know what a high bidder is willing to spend. It's possible he could 400m or even 500m in free agency, who knows.
    If the Cubs traded for Ohtani he isn't getting away. The Cubs have plenty of money. They'd get that deal done in that world. I'm not worried.

Trading for Ohtani would be a very hard thing to mess up from a value standpoint.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk