Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 219 of 231 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 3456

Eliminated From the Playoffs in Early May MONTHLY IGT

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    When you say 2 at least and maybe 3 are you talking pen only? Or for the staff. Because if for the staff I agree they need 2 (a starter and a pen arm). Sure they can use another pen arm as well, which would make it 3 arms for the staff. But I donít think they need 3 pen arms. Maybe not even 2.
    I meant the bullpen . They need more than 1 arm in there . They donít have to be expensive but experience high leverage . I really like Keegan in the pen and Hughes has done well . Outside of those two I donít have confidence in many more as high leverage arms . Alzolay has potencial , but has to figure out lefties . Hauer will be coming off TJ . Manny Rodriguez hasnít looked good at all in mlb ( small sample )

Estrada has electric stuff and is very interesting , there is hope there .

They have a lot of depth on guys that are middle relievers , but they need high leverage guys . Hoyer himself has said that he likes to have experience mix with youth in bullpen . I expect them to add 2 at the least .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 09-22-2022 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The athletic cubs writers did a mailbag Q&A today and someone asked about Zach Britton. Heíll be coming off TJ next year. He kind of seems like the Cubs type of free agent bullpen arm.
    Yeah i mentioned Britton a while ago . I wouldnít be surprised if they sign both Britton and Robertson TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    I meant the bullpen . They need more than 1 arm in there . They donít have to be expensive but experience high leverage . I really like Keegan in the pen and Hughes has done well . Outside of those two I donít have confidence in many more as high leverage arms . Alzolay has potencial , but has to figure out lefties . Hauer will be coming off TJ . Manny Rodriguez hasnít looked good at all in mlb ( small sample )

Estrada has electric stuff and is very interesting , there is hope there .

They have a lot of depth on guys that are middle relievers , but they need high leverage guys . Hoyer himself has said that he likes to have experience mix with youth in bullpen . I expect them to add 2 at the least .

Ok, cool. We differ a little. I think 2 at the most and maybe get away with one. I agree that it should be middle priced guys like Britton and/or Robertson. Or next years version of those guys. I just donít want to sink $20M into the pen.

Wesneski threw an immaculate inning. 1st since LaTroy Hawkins in 2004

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I think with guys like Thompson, Estrada, Hughes, Alzolay, & Rodriguez the Cubs could very well end up with a good, cheap pen. There are others coming as well. Haeur is one. Maybe Weick? Plus several solid options in the minors. They probably need another lefty, that is why I went with Weick. If they sign a FA starting pitcher and Wesnecki can take that 4th or 5th spot they might have a decent staff next year.
    They also need to make a decision on guys like Lieter and Sampson. Seemed obvious before, but I am not so sure it is still obvious. And then there is SmylyÖ
    My thoughts too with the pen..
    Im also seeing the rotation possibly shaping up to with Stroman, Steele, Hendricks if healthy, and now with Wisneski. Possibly bringing Smily back

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The athletic cubs writers did a mailbag Q&A today and someone asked about Zach Britton. Heíll be coming off TJ next year. He kind of seems like the Cubs type of free agent bullpen arm.
    Wasn't Britton on their radar a few years ago to trade for or sign as a FA?

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Im also seeing the rotation possibly shaping up to with Stroman, Steele, Hendricks if healthy, and now with Wisneski. Possibly bringing Smily back

Disagree. They need a front end starter. NOT Smyly.

The absolutely need a frontline starter too but I get what you are saying.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Wesneski threw an immaculate inning. 1st since LaTroy Hawkins in 2004

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Wow awesome!

I'm putting his last 2 starts in perspective though: against the Rockies who were on the road and the Pirates.

Slider looking good though, control too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    The absolutely need a frontline starter too but I get what you are saying.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Right, if it were my choice id get 2 starters to replace Hendricks and Smily.

Stroman Steele and Wisneski is a good start

Disagree. They need a front end starter. NOT Smyly.
    Yeah I don't understand not grabbing a TORP if we have all this back end depth and little money on the books. Im down to risk it on Rodon. I don't think DeGrom will be leaving NYM and id he did, I don't think I would want to pay him what he is going to get. Who else? Kershaw? Syndergaard?

How about Kluber on a 2 year deal? Looks like he lost seem speed on his FB though...
    Romans 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us

Right, if it were my choice id get 2 starters to replace Hendricks and Smily.

Stroman Steele and Wisneski is a good start

Add a TOTR guy to those four, and that leaves one spot left. Maybe it's Kyle, Thompson, Killian, Wicks, Brown, a trade, or even another FA.

Nobody knows Kyle better than the Cubs. He will have had about 7 months to rest and rehab his arm before camp. They will know fairly early if he's both healthy, and regained his form to be in the rotation. If he's healthy and has not regained his form, it will be clear to the Cubs. If he's not healthy, it will also be clear to the Cubs.

Like I said, the Cubs will know before the season starts if Kyle will be a part of the rotation and roster. They won't need to see him get any starts during the season if he's anything like his last 48 starts. Right now, there are better options than Kyle's last 48 starts. Maybe when they look at him in 5 months, he will be the best option for that last spot. That would be pretty nice.

If they like what they see, with both health and stuff, he should get a spot. If not, I think they either DFA him, or put him on the 60 day DL before the OD roster is set.
    Last edited by thawv; 09-23-2022 at 08:18 AM.

I think with guys like Thompson, Estrada, Hughes, Alzolay, & Rodriguez the Cubs could very well end up with a good, cheap pen. There are others coming as well. Haeur is one. Maybe Weick? Plus several solid options in the minors. They probably need another lefty, that is why I went with Weick. If they sign a FA starting pitcher and Wesnecki can take that 4th or 5th spot they might have a decent staff next year.
    They also need to make a decision on guys like Lieter and Sampson. Seemed obvious before, but I am not so sure it is still obvious. And then there is SmylyÖ
    Mentioning Wesneski, his slider is lights out. I can see it being his out pitch and his usage being a good 40-50% of his pitch count. Does anyone know if the slider is slightly more detrimentral to the arm mechanics & the UCL?
    BTW Wesneski hopefully can get the 4 seamer up a couple of ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    Mentioning Wesneski, his slider is lights out. I can see it being his out pitch and his usage being a good 40-50% of his pitch count. Does anyone know if the slider is slightly more detrimentral to the arm mechanics & the UCL?
    BTW Wesneski hopefully can get the 4 seamer up a couple of ticks.
    Players who rely on the slider have had some arm issues in the past. Tyson Ross, who was a slider-fastball (heavy slider usage) pitcher ended up with thoracic outlet syndrome and ended his career (TOS is a killer still). But that doesn't mean all slider heavy guys are injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Players who rely on the slider have had some arm issues in the past. Tyson Ross, who was a slider-fastball (heavy slider usage) pitcher ended up with thoracic outlet syndrome and ended his career (TOS is a killer still). But that doesn't mean all slider heavy guys are injury issues.
    Good stuff 1908, but wow the break inwards on that slider against lefties is going to help him immensely.
    Do we see Wesneski as a potential 10K/9 or more type pitcher?