Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't understand the Landry obsession. He's a dump off machine. He's beniftted from getting a crap ton of targets over his career because he's played on a bunch of teams with really mediocre WR rooms.

He's a slot WR. The Packers dont need a slot guy. Cobb and Rodgers are already slot guys. Realistically, the best way to get rookies involved is generally to use them in the slot of bunches to get them free releases. That's especially true of a guy like Watson who's greatest asset is his speed but his level of competition was really low so it's likely hell struggle early with NFL caliber jams at the line.

We need guys that can play wide. Lazard and Watkins can both play out wide. I also dont understand how we overpaid for Watkins. He's making less than $2 mill. Yea, he has an injury history. That's concerning, but when he plays, he's solid. And that package for $2 mill is not bad at all.

Also, Lazard is fine. He has no leverage. His only leverage is holding out now to express his displeasure. But he's not losing anything. Rodgers barely participates when he does show up. He and Rodgers are fine together. He's worked with love enough too. He hasn't signed his tender mostly so he can hold out to express his displeasure. But it doesn't change anything.

Even if nothing long term gets worked out, I can almost guarantee that when the actual training camp rolls around, Lazard will be there and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    Watkins was the first WR Green Bay over paid for. it's a terrible signing. he has played on 2 pass heavy teams and been a ghost even when healthy for most of the time there. he is high risk (in the sense of a roster position) with low reward. Landry i believe was originally looking for huge deal anywhere. and he finally settled for New Orleans with a 1 year, 6 mil prove it deal. as for the tender Green Bay could have pulled it i believe and Lazard becomes a free agent. Landry is special. he is not the same he was 3 years ago but still has gas left in the tank. he is miles ahead of both Watkins and Lazard even today. Roto is even speculating Watkins might not be on the roster in week 1. like i said this is a twice missed opportunity because you get stuck with players inferior to a guy that has several skill sets that make him unique. i didn't even mention Cobb. i like the guy but he is a wasted seat right now. part of that is on Rodgers.
    Watkins signed a 1 year 4 mill contract. he will be making the same money as Lazard and only affect the salary cap by 1.7 mil. its an easy contract to get rid of if the Packers wanted to. Again its noteworthy that Landry was out on the market for awhile before taking a 1 year 6 mil contract with his home town Saints. hes more of a slot guy and we already have 2 slot guys on the team Cobb and Amari. Rodgers petitioned for the team to bring in Cobb last year there is no way he is going anywhere so where does Landry line up? he isn't a deep threat. we also don't know if it is a guarantee Landry makes it out of camp with the Saints because he has an easy deal to get out of.

honestly I think you are *****ing to be *****ing. I appreciate you doing something to keep the forum alive but, this is just nitpicking

Lazard did finally sign his tender today.

i hope Lazard has a career year. if you guys can't see that Landry has more upside than anyone we have at slot right now i don't know what to say? you could line up 2 slot WR's on the same side. Amari is one of the more interesting guys we currently have only in the sense this is a breakout or true bust year for him. for the record i do think Landry will have a more productive year (catches, yards and TD's) in New Orleans than Watkins will have here.

i hope Lazard has a career year. if you guys can't see that Landry has more upside than anyone we have at slot right now i don't know what to say? you could line up 2 slot WR's on the same side. Amari is one of the more interesting guys we currently have only in the sense this is a breakout or true bust year for him. for the record i do think Landry will have a more productive year (catches, yards and TD's) in New Orleans than Watkins will have here.
    But it's not one to one. It's not Landry vs watkins. They are very different players who play different spots. It's possible we think Rodgers and Cobb can approximate what Landry can do. Those guys were already on the team and coming back. It's highly unlikely we thought we had anyone on the roster that can do what watkins does outside maybe Lazard. So does signing Landry mean less snaps for Cobb and Rodgers and possibly more for someone like winfree since we need perimeter guys? It's possible it does. It's about building the best wr core, not maximizing individual stats.

The other side of it is when we signed watkins, the rumor was Landry was still looking for $20 mill a year. He signed much later when the market was basically dry for wrs. Maybe we could have held out and hoped Landry signed somewhere cheap. But thst carried risk to. Timing and situatuon matter for contracts too. It's not just Landry signed X contract so we could have signed him to that. He went back to lousiana where he went to school and did so late. No promisea GB could have had him for that either.

And lastly the money matters. No clue what our plan is, but last year everyone threw a fit that we couldn't bring OBJ in. It was largely because he didn't have any money. We actually have money this year for an in season transaction if the right one comes up. Maybe that is a wr, or maybe we suffer an injury at a spot like S or Edge where we don't have any depth and can supplement that spot. That matters too.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 06-19-2022 at 05:18 PM.

the extra money thing intrigues me as this was a successful methodology TT used to extend players applying the signing bonus over the current year. as you said if someone becomes available you can sign him during the season. every "fan" site on FB has Green Bay trading for Vegas' TE and that would take money to pull off. OBJ comes to mind as the biggest possible FA out there right now at the WR position but i think camp cuts will be starting shortly. it gives you options and options make your team better.
    as for what happened with Landry as far as contracts go he became an option. one that was far too expensive at the beginning but for varying circumstances became value later on. if he is signed you would have to probably make a cut at the WR position but maybe not immediately. anyway on Landry i will move on. my opinion is not shared here which is fine and i do not want become a guy that only talks about 1 thing.

the extra money thing intrigues me as this was a successful methodology TT used to extend players applying the signing bonus over the current year. as you said if someone becomes available you can sign him during the season. every "fan" site on FB has Green Bay trading for Vegas' TE and that would take money to pull off. OBJ comes to mind as the biggest possible FA out there right now at the WR position but i think camp cuts will be starting shortly. it gives you options and options make your team better.
    as for what happened with Landry as far as contracts go he became an option. one that was far too expensive at the beginning but for varying circumstances became value later on. if he is signed you would have to probably make a cut at the WR position but maybe not immediately. anyway on Landry i will move on. my opinion is not shared here which is fine and i do not want become a guy that only talks about 1 thing.
    I still think lockett makes some sense down the road. It never actually made sense for Seattle to trade him before June 1st. Post June 1st they do get some cap relief, so he makes sense. But I also think Seattle doesnt hate getting a look at that team before moving him, but if they are like 2-5 or something, it may make sense to move him. So he could be an in season type option for us as well.

And then there's a few other teams that if young guys step up but the team doesn't look like a stud, guys could become available. I think guys like Golladay, Corey Davis, Chase Claypool and Sterling Shepard could be guys that may be trade in season. Not saying any or all of them will be available, but they are all guys with young dudes behind them that could be cap casualties or FAs as soon as the year after next, so they would make some sense to possibly be made available at the deadline.

To me, that type of strategy makes sense. It's possible none of them come available and we're up **** creek. But it gives us a chance to get a look at the offense as currently constructed but we have space available if we want to make some moves. And like you said, OBJ is the wild card. I don't know when he signs or when hell he ready, but we actually have some money this year if he's able to go and wants to lock onto a competitor and try to get another big deal next year if he can stay healthy.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 06-21-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12