Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is Nestor ?

It takes a couple season, IMO, and some strong late season/ playoff outing to truly be considered an ace.

He's only made 17 starts in the last 2 seasons for us, but in those starts he certainly has TOR numbers.

Did Blake unlock something with him? Is he a guy the league hasn't figured out?
    Is he a mid rotation starter on a hot streak?
    Is he Cinderella and the clock hasn't hit midnight yet??

He's not just putting up good numbers against bad teams either, he's shut down 2 very good teams in Toronto and Cleveland. He also dominated the bad one

He already has a WAR over 1 this yr. I want him to be legit, but I'm not sure i'm a 100% believer just yet. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by dayners81; 04-24-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I'm thrilled but not sure. He needs a couple seasons of this. If he does this for a 75 innings, I will start to believe.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I'm thrilled but not sure. He needs a couple seasons of this. If he does this for a 75 innings, I will start to believe.
    Between this yr and last yr, he is over 75 innings as a starter, with a low 2 ERA. He's still only 27, maybe he's just a guy that needed the right pitching coach and figured it out late ?

He's the ace, that's what.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    He's the ace, that's what.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I can't call him an ace after 100 innings. How many legit Aces are there in BB? 10-15? I'd say he's trending to be a TORP, but IMO I can't call him an ace, yet.

For me the biggest factor performance wise that I can't call him an ace, is lack of length. Ace's should be able to give you at least 7-8 innings from time to time. Has he even gone 7 yet? also his ERA the 3rd time through isn't great

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Between this yr and last yr, he is over 75 innings as a starter, with a low 2 ERA. He's still only 27, maybe he's just a guy that needed the right pitching coach and figured it out late ?

Very true. I should have been. more clear. I meant this year 75. I need to see him face a bunch of teams, Sox, Rays, Jays, multiple times and keep doing it. If he can still do this once teams are familiar with him? Damn

For sure. You and I talked about guys figuring it out and so far, it looks like he has. I just want to see how he's doing around the break. That should be around 15 or so starts?

Ignorance is bliss

I can't call him an ace after 100 innings. How many legit Aces are there in BB? 10-15? I'd say he's trending to be a TORP, but IMO I can't call him an ace, yet.

For me the biggest factor performance wise that I can't call him an ace, is lack of length. Ace's should be able to give you at least 7-8 innings from time to time. Has he even gone 7 yet? also his ERA the 3rd time through isn't great
    Glavine, Maddux and of course El Duque are really the only guys I can think of, off hand.

Ignorance is bliss

Very true. I should have been. more clear. I meant this year 75. I need to see him face a bunch of teams, Sox, Rays, Jays, multiple times and keep doing it. If he can still do this once teams are familiar with him? Damn

For sure. You and I talked about guys figuring it out and so far, it looks like he has. I just want to see how he's doing around the break. That should be around 15 or so starts?
    agreed 100%

You can't call him an ace yet. But he's definitely a great find, low cost player who knows how to get guys out. He's a tremendous asset to this team right now. I don't think calling him a #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 matters much. Bottom line, he's a great pitcher. I think his pitch mix, control, ability to change speeds, tempo, break, and angles, it bodes well for him to continue to beat teams the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times he plays them. He can simply give them a different look each time. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the season with the best ERA on the team. Does that make him an ace? I don't know. You might call him an ace starting next year if he manages to do that, almost definitely not before the end of this year though.

If Cole can turn his season around, the rotation is pretty stacked and they have really good #6, 7, and 8 options too (King, Schmidt, German). Right now I'd put Krook as #9, and JP Sears at #10 (Wesneski not far behind, Garcia and Gil too if they can get their acts together). I can't say enough about the pitching depth the Yankees have developed, mostly through homegrown talent (Severino, Montgomery, Cortes, Schmidt, German, King). Cole and Taillon are the only two non-homegrown at this point. You can complain about the fact that they haven't produced an ace, and you'd have a valid point. You can't argue with their ability to produce solid starters at this point though.

Now if they could develop some homegrown hitters, that would be great. Fingers crossed for Peraza, Volpe, Cabrera, Wells, Sweeney, Dominguez, Pereira.

Day, in Coleís last 19 starts and including the WC game Cole has pitched 7 innings or more in just 2 starts.

Is that an ACE?
    Probably the best Pearl Jam concert performance
    PINKPOP 1992

1. Even Flow
    2. Why Go
    3. Jeremy
    4. Alive
    5. Black
    6.Leash
    7.Once
    8. Porch
    9. Rockin the Free World

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Day, in Coleís last 19 starts and including the WC game Cole has pitched 7 innings or more in just 2 starts.

Is that an ACE?
    Cole has been an Ace for yrs, he's already passed all those tests. Part of being labeled an Ace IMO, comes with throwing 200 IN, 200 Ks in a season, complete games, ect it's having a track record for multiple seasons

Without question 3 times through the rotation, Cole is by far the least impressive of the 5. You know who exciting that is? we have 4 other starting pitchers that are really good. When was the last time we had the best pitching in the AL?, because we do so far

Phoba said exactly what Nestor is, much better than i can.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    You can't call him an ace yet. But he's definitely a great find, low cost player who knows how to get guys out. He's a tremendous asset to this team right now. I don't think calling him a #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 matters much. Bottom line, he's a great pitcher. I think his pitch mix, control, ability to change speeds, tempo, break, and angles, it bodes well for him to continue to beat teams the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times he plays them. He can simply give them a different look each time. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the season with the best ERA on the team. Does that make him an ace? I don't know. You might call him an ace starting next year if he manages to do that, almost definitely not before the end of this year though.

If Cole can turn his season around, the rotation is pretty stacked and they have really good #6, 7, and 8 options too (King, Schmidt, German). Right now I'd put Krook as #9, and JP Sears at #10 (Wesneski not far behind, Garcia and Gil too if they can get their acts together). I can't say enough about the pitching depth the Yankees have developed, mostly through homegrown talent (Severino, Montgomery, Cortes, Schmidt, German, King). Cole and Taillon are the only two non-homegrown at this point. You can complain about the fact that they haven't produced an ace, and you'd have a valid point. You can't argue with their ability to produce solid starters at this point though.

Now if they could develop some homegrown hitters, that would be great. Fingers crossed for Peraza, Volpe, Cabrera, Wells, Sweeney, Dominguez, Pereira.
    5 months later, U nailed that one

5 months later, U nailed that one
    I had already called him the best starter on the team way back before anybody else did.. Most said no Nick, he needs more starts(25-30)to be convinced.

Eye test. All I did was compare him to Jimmy Key minus the El Duque stuff. Key was that quiet ace. Game 6 vs Maddux in 96 was the high point.
    Probably the best Pearl Jam concert performance
    PINKPOP 1992

1. Even Flow
    2. Why Go
    3. Jeremy
    4. Alive
    5. Black
    6.Leash
    7.Once
    8. Porch
    9. Rockin the Free World

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    I had already called him the best starter on the team way back before anybody else did.. Most said no Nick, he needs more starts(25-30)to be convinced.

Eye test. All I did was compare him to Jimmy Key minus the El Duque stuff. Key was that quiet ace. Game 6 vs Maddux in 96 was the high point.
    I agree. You did.

Ignorance is bliss

I agree. You did.
    Yes he did.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast