Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Just got a message from my buddy. Sounds like the Yanks are going to move Gallo. The biggest reason he hasn't been moved is Cash wants a favorable return for him, similar to what they paid.

They have Flo taking reps in both CF and LF and they are giving serious consideration to bringing him up and giving him time at both positions.

I asked about Hicks and was told one problem at a time. They know Hicks has no trade value but they feel Gallo still does to the right team and they would like to get something back while their are still other good options are available

They would love to get Soto, but right now they feel like there are to many moving parts to get something done now. In order to get Soto, they would have to move both Gallo and Hicks. Sounds like they are hoping he doesn;t get traded before the deadline and he would be plan 1b this off season if they aren't able to get a Judge extension done. They still feel like they could get a deal done with Judge before the end of the yr. Part of that deal would include making him the captain

The one thing that could change that is if Hal says it's ok to blow past the 270m threshold. The thing that maybe a very real reason they might not is they already have a deal done with the #1 IFA in this next class for close to 5m. With the international draft possibly coming, they know this might be their last chance to acquire that kind of talent in that market and they view this kid very, very highly. He's a Betts type, but is going to stick in CF long term. Talent wise he's on par with Dom and Arias. We've seen Cashman not go over a certain tax threshold before to ensure they don't lose out on top IFA talent.

Also I was told that Cashman is going to be especially aggressive before the deadline because they feel this team has a real shot at winning a WS this yr. Expect them to be in on anything that could seriously improve this team, but not mess with the chemistry they have going on.

Rizzo and JD have taken leadership of the locker room and they want people who are going to fit into that environment well and not make waves.

Rizzo has vouched for Contreras because of their time together with the Cubs. With Trevino being able to catch Cole, keeping Higgy for that reason isn't as big of an issue. It sounded like Trevino would be the guy they would like to keep of the 2.

They still believe Rortvert can be a big piece for them, but maybe not this yr. Tanner Swanson ( our catching coach) was with the Twins when he was drafted him. Rortvert was someone they targeted this winter and was a key reason they made that deal. He was/is the young C Swanson wanted and feel like he could be a long term solution, but won't stop them from acquiring a different upgrade behind the plate for this yr.

They have 4 OFer that i was told they like in different degrees. Mullins, Reynolds, Benintendi and Ramon Laureano from the A's

They do have innings concerns for both Nestor and Sevy. If the right starter could be had, like a Castillio or Mahle that would be something they would investigate

They feel like they have enough pitching that they don't HAVE to acquire any, but if they right opportunity came up they wouldn't pass on it.

BP is something they are confident they can fix /upgrade in house. That said if they could move Chapman they wouldn't mind finding another late inning arm. Don't expect it to be a household name though, it would be someone like a Holmes or Wandy they feel like Blake could improve in a hurry.

As always, take it for whatever it's worth
    LOVE IT ALL GOOD VIBES!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    The fact that Cashman hasn't gotten back the equivalent of what he paid for Gallo and has been shopping him since the offseason tells all you need to know about his overall value. In fact, only one team, the padres are interested in him and that's only because the GM also used to be the assistant GM of the Rangers. It also tells us that Cashman made a horrible mistake and isn't willing to accept it, eat the mistake and learn from it. Duran has basically turned into the Ranger's version of Oswald Peraza from 2020. You can make an argument he's even better if he continues hitting like he has. I wish Volpe were putting up those same numbers in AA. Hopefully Duran comes up and becomes an all star one day.

If Rortvedt was the key reason why they took on a 50 million dollar salary dump, Cashman may be the biggest fool in any FO. Rorty was a rule 5 catcher they probably could have gotten for a little bit of cash, or maybe a third tier minor league reliever, etc.
    Your focus on the Rortvedt portion of this trade is starting to get myopic. There was more to the trade than that. We agree about the trade overall but you're starting to lose me by focusing too much one one player.

The Gallo trade was bad and i think many people knew it right away, including me. It just made no sense then or now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Your focus on the Rortvedt portion of this trade is starting to get myopic. There was more to the trade than that. We agree about the trade overall but you're starting to lose me by focusing too much one one player.

The Gallo trade was bad and i think many people knew it right away, including me. It just made no sense then or now.
    What am i going to do, ignore the fact that someone said the yankees made Rortvedt a "key reason" for making that trade? lol.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Just got a message from my buddy. Sounds like the Yanks are going to move Gallo. The biggest reason he hasn't been moved is Cash wants a favorable return for him, similar to what they paid.

They have Flo taking reps in both CF and LF and they are giving serious consideration to bringing him up and giving him time at both positions.

I asked about Hicks and was told one problem at a time. They know Hicks has no trade value but they feel Gallo still does to the right team and they would like to get something back while their are still other good options are available

They would love to get Soto, but right now they feel like there are to many moving parts to get something done now. In order to get Soto, they would have to move both Gallo and Hicks. Sounds like they are hoping he doesn;t get traded before the deadline and he would be plan 1b this off season if they aren't able to get a Judge extension done. They still feel like they could get a deal done with Judge before the end of the yr. Part of that deal would include making him the captain

The one thing that could change that is if Hal says it's ok to blow past the 270m threshold. The thing that maybe a very real reason they might not is they already have a deal done with the #1 IFA in this next class for close to 5m. With the international draft possibly coming, they know this might be their last chance to acquire that kind of talent in that market and they view this kid very, very highly. He's a Betts type, but is going to stick in CF long term. Talent wise he's on par with Dom and Arias. We've seen Cashman not go over a certain tax threshold before to ensure they don't lose out on top IFA talent.

Also I was told that Cashman is going to be especially aggressive before the deadline because they feel this team has a real shot at winning a WS this yr. Expect them to be in on anything that could seriously improve this team, but not mess with the chemistry they have going on.

Rizzo and JD have taken leadership of the locker room and they want people who are going to fit into that environment well and not make waves.

Rizzo has vouched for Contreras because of their time together with the Cubs. With Trevino being able to catch Cole, keeping Higgy for that reason isn't as big of an issue. It sounded like Trevino would be the guy they would like to keep of the 2.

They still believe Rortvert can be a big piece for them, but maybe not this yr. Tanner Swanson ( our catching coach) was with the Twins when he was drafted him. Rortvert was someone they targeted this winter and was a key reason they made that deal. He was/is the young C Swanson wanted and feel like he could be a long term solution, but won't stop them from acquiring a different upgrade behind the plate for this yr.

They have 4 OFer that i was told they like in different degrees. Mullins, Reynolds, Benintendi and Ramon Laureano from the A's

They do have innings concerns for both Nestor and Sevy. If the right starter could be had, like a Castillio or Mahle that would be something they would investigate

They feel like they have enough pitching that they don't HAVE to acquire any, but if they right opportunity came up they wouldn't pass on it.

BP is something they are confident they can fix /upgrade in house. That said if they could move Chapman they wouldn't mind finding another late inning arm. Don't expect it to be a household name though, it would be someone like a Holmes or Wandy they feel like Blake could improve in a hurry.

As always, take it for whatever it's worth
    Thanks Day!

Cashman may want value but sometimes you have to cut bait.

As stated by many, Benintendi makes the most sense as far as fit for the team. He won't cost a ton. He's a contact lefty bat who plays good D and can run. He's also a tough out.

Ignorance is bliss

I don't think the Gallo trade was bad so to speak. You're an advanced stats guy. Dude has some seasons where he was 20 to 40% better than a league average hitter and was a GG caliber OFer. Yeah, he strikes out a ton and doesn't hit for average but if any player is built for Yankee Stadium, its Joey Gallo. The problem is he hasn't been the player he was in Texas. You're talking about a guy whose ISO has dropped to half of what it was in Arlington. I don't think anyone could have expected that type of precipitous drop off, especially when he's only 28 years old.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-21-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    What am i going to do, ignore the fact that someone said the yankees made Rortvedt a "key reason" for making that trade? lol.
    I agree, I've seen his name thrown around a lot since the trade acting like he is more than what they already have. He is another no bat all glove guy like they already have. I don't get what people are excited about here.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't think the Gallo trade was bad so to speak. You're an advanced stats guy. Dude has some seasons where he was 20 to 40% better than a league average hitter and was a GG caliber OFer. Yeah, he strikes out a ton and doesn't hit for average but if any player is built for Yankee Stadium, its Joey Gallo. The problem is he hasn't been the player he was in Texas. You're talking about a guy whose ISO has dropped to half of what it was in Arlington. I don't think anyone could have expected that type of precipitous drop off, especially when he's only 28 years old.
    It was a bad fit from the start though. The advanced stats are good, still shouldn't have been what the Yankees were targeting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    It was a bad fit from the start though. The advanced stats are good, still shouldn't have been what the Yankees were targeting at all.
    If he put up 40 home runs, played a GG OF, and was a 3-4 WAR player would he be a bad fit?

If he put up 40 home runs, played a GG OF, and was a 3-4 WAR player would he be a bad fit?
    Yeah I think so, they don't need the power badly enough to put up with a horrible hitter. He is pretty much an automatic out against any decent pitcher. IMO, he is the exact opposite of a player that you'd want on your team in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Yeah I think so, they don't need the power badly enough to put up with a horrible hitter. He is pretty much an automatic out against any decent pitcher. IMO, he is the exact opposite of a player that you'd want on your team in the postseason.
    Yeah but that's exacerbated by how bad he's been with the Yankees. His numbers have been far worse since being traded from Texas. I know people don't love the 3 outcome guy but he has been a one outcome guy (making outs) since putting on the pinstripes.

Yes. The team has plenty of power without him. He's absolutely useless at the plate, and whatever this GG defense is that I've heard mentioned many times, also seems to be nonexistent. He's messed up or miss played plenty of balls that I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

You're entitled to your opinion, but personally I did not like the move at the time they made it. He was not a fit with their lineup full of high strikeout, low contact players. That still holds true today, even if he did hit 40 homeruns. I don't dislike Joey Gallo, though I must admit I gave always felt players like him are the worst kind of player to have in the playoffs. I always said the same thing about Nick Swisher, and Gallo takes that high OBP, high strikeout, high power, low average profile to the extreme.

I like advanced stats, but I don't value the advanced stats Gallo excels in.

Sure, he's been even worse with the Yankees and that makes his profile basically useless. This means on top of him not being a good fit in many fans eyes, including my own, he also is not even holding up his end of the bargain. This means he also can't perform in NY. The trade is a disaster and depleted their minors for no good reason.

You're entitled to your opinion, but personally I did not like the move at the time they made it. He was not a fit with their lineup full of high strikeout, low contact players. That still holds true today, even if he did hit 40 homeruns. I don't dislike Joey Gallo, though I must admit I gave always felt players like him are the worst kind of player to have in the playoffs. I always said the same thing about Nick Swisher, and Gallo takes that high OBP, high strikeout, high power, low average profile to the extreme.

I like advanced stats, but I don't value the advanced stats Gallo excels in.

Sure, he's been even worse with the Yankees and that makes his profile basically useless. This means on top of him not being a good fit in many fans eyes, including my own, he also is not even holding up his end of the bargain. This means he also can't perform in NY. The trade is a disaster and depleted their minors for no good reason.
    The Yankees didn't make that trade under the premise that he was going to **** the bed though. They thought they were getting the guy who was a 40 homer, GG caliber OFer. Not a guy who has hit .160 and can't drive the ball. They gave up a few guys who are top 400, 500 prospects around MLB. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Tell me you gave up Peraza or Sweeney and yeah I'd think that deal was a lot worse but Josh Smith, Trevor Hauver and Glenn Otto are not great prospects. The one guy that might have some upside is Duran.

The Yankees didn't make that trade under the premise that he was going to **** the bed though. They thought they were getting the guy who was a 40 homer, GG caliber OFer. Not a guy who has hit .160 and can't drive the ball. They gave up a few guys who are top 400, 500 prospects around MLB. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Tell me you gave up Peraza or Sweeney and yeah I'd think that deal was a lot worse but Josh Smith, Trevor Hauver and Glenn Otto are not great prospects. The one guy that might have some upside is Duran.
    I'm more in the middle. I agree with Phoba he was a poor fit from the jump. That said, the guy we have seen isn't the guy they thought they were getting. If he was performing like he did in Texas, I doubt people would want him gone as badly as they (myself included) do. He hasn't been anywhere close to the player we were hoping we were getting. With the way this roster is constructed and the way this team is currently constructed, he's a very poor fit IMO.

I don't know if they didn't listen to their advanced scouts or what, but with Gallo having turrets', that gets worse with pressure/ stress, it wasn't long division to figure out he would likely struggle here. He needs to go to a smaller market team with less pressure

That said, the only guy they gave up that could possibly be a difference make is Duran. With all the other elite MINF talent we have, its hard to imagine him getting a real shot here. We are loaded( even with a couple off to slow starts) with higher ceiling players than Duran. Thank goodness we pulled Pereira out of that deal at the last minute

They can't live with both Gallo and Hicks not performing well whatsoever. They need to give Flo and extended look in CF and if they could get Benintendi, that lineup would be far more dangerous at the bottom of that lineup. Thats what were going to need come playoff time to really have a shot, IMO

The Yankees didn't think they were getting the guy who hits .170 but that's why you don't trade for a guy who hits .200. If he doesn't perform well you have a .170 hitter. If you trade for the .300 hitter and he doesn't hit well, he still hits .270. I know it's not that simple but the bottom line is there are those of us who would still want him gone if he was hitting .200 and on pace for 40 homeruns. I am one of them.

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast