Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Giving judge the last 2-3 years before his performance plummets is extremely generous. Performance begins to rapidly decline after age 33/34, sometimes sooner. Guys that perform at a high level till their 37 and beyond is really uncommon, to the point these types of players are more or less an anomaly.

At some point you have to fork over big money for a big player as a big market team who wants to be competitive. If his market value is 10/350, then that's what you need to pay to get him. Plain and simple. Judge should not be allowed to walk away. He's a star who has proven he can perform in NY. Those types of players don't come around frequently. Pay the man whatever he is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    At some point you have to fork over big money for a big player as a big market team who wants to be competitive. If his market value is 10/350, then that's what you need to pay to get him. Plain and simple. Judge should not be allowed to walk away. He's a star who has proven he can perform in NY. Those types of players don't come around frequently. Pay the man whatever he is worth.
    Yes, bc that worked out real well with Arods 2nd 10 year deal.

If Judge signs for 10 yrs I'd absolutely bet the entire 2nd half of his contract will be awful.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Yes, bc that worked out real well with Arods 2nd 10 year deal.

If Judge signs for 10 yrs I'd absolutely bet the entire 2nd half of his contract will be awful.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Yep, especially a man his size. Few guys in MLB are that big. The only position player I ever remember being that good into his late 30s at Judge's height was Dave Winfield. Judge is also 60 pounds heavier than Winfield was too.

Its a significantly risky deal, especially because he'll be 31 when it starts and he's already shown to be injury prone.
    Last edited by metswon69; 05-15-2022 at 12:08 AM.

And what is he worth?

Worth enough to be the highest paid position player in the league? Not really

And what guy over 30 gets a 10 year deal? If he keeps it up, go 7/250. Who’s beating that? If that isn’t enough, tell him go shop around. He’s going to do so anyways

I'm not saying he's worth 10 and 350. I'm saying the Yankees need to beat any offer on the market. If the offer is 10 and 350, they need to beat that too. It doesn't mean he's worth that much... but the Yankees can afford it and what they can't afford is to lose Judge. That lineup is garbage without him, and there isn't a replacement on the market right now.

What do I think Judge is worth? 8 years, $280 million. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than that though.

I don’t believe in doing something dumb because “there’s no one else”. Those types of moves never work out well. And this FO isn’t like in past years. Having a 30M+ dead weight on the roster for the last few years of the deal is going to cripple us. All we will hear/talk about is how we need to wait for the deal to come off the books

I don’t believe anyone is beating 7/250. The only guys that get longer than that, are pitchers, or guys well under 30. If he gets more, good for him, let him go
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 05-15-2022 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I don’t believe in doing something dumb because “there’s no one else”. Those types of moves never work out well. And this FO isn’t like in past years. Having a 30M+ dead weight on the roster for the last few years of the deal is going to cripple us. All we will hear/talk about is how we need to wait for the deal to come off the books

I don’t believe anyone is beating 7/250. The only guys that get longer than that, are pitchers, or guys well under 30. If he gets more, good for him, let him go
    This is an oversimplification of my reasoning. "There's no one else" is only one of the reasons why you have to overpay for Judge if someone else gives him a huge offer. One of many, which I've already highlighted.

I hope you're right that no one beats 7/250.

Bottom line to me is that if they don't resign Judge, they are not a playoff team in 2023. To me, that is not acceptable for a team with the financial resources of the Yankees. They can figure out how to deal with the last 3 years of his contract later. With inflation, $35 million won't be as big of a burden by the end of a 9-10 year contract anyway. Or maybe you front load it so the average annual value isn't as bad towards the end of the contract.

This is an oversimplification of my reasoning. "There's no one else" is only one of the reasons why you have to overpay for Judge if someone else gives him a huge offer. One of many, which I've already highlighted.

Bottom line to me is that if they don't resign Judge, they are not a playoff team in 2023. To me, that is not acceptable for a team with the financial resources of the Yankees. They can figure out how to deal with the last 3 years of his contract later. With inflation, $35 million won't be as big of a burden by the end of a 9-10 year contract anyway. Or maybe you front load it so the average annual value isn't as bad towards the end of the contract.
    I guess I’m just more along the lines of “if you shouldn’t, you shouldn’t” regardless of whether you can..

If someone blows away what I think is fair, I’d be 100% fine with going another direction

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I guess I’m just more along the lines of “if you shouldn’t, you shouldn’t” regardless of whether you can..

If someone blows away what I think is fair, I’d be 100% fine with going another direction
    If there were other options I'd agree. Maybe there will be. Maybe they sign Xander Bogaerts instead, or go with Trea Turner or Correa if he turns his season around. Maybe they make a couple of minor upgrades in other areas and hope that it makes up for the loss. I don't think any of these guys has the same presence in a lineup as Aaron Judge though. I think that production would be very hard to replace, especially when you factor in the New York factor, where many guys just can't cut it here while we already know Judge can.

Yankees’ Clay Holmes earns increasing trust from Aaron Boone
    By Dan Martin
    May 15, 2022 9:18pm Updated

https://nypost.com/2022/05/15/yankee...m-aaron-boone/

Yankees’ Joey Gallo finding form at plate after brutal start to season
    By Dan Martin
    May 15, 2022 8:55pm Updated

Between his high strikeout rating and slow start to the season, Yankee outfielder Joey Gallo has become a popular punching bag for fans. Over the last couple of weeks, however, the left-handed left fielder has begun to turn it around at the plate, tallying his first multi-RBI game of the season with a two-run home run in the ninth inning of yesterday’s game. After slashing .153/.254/.271 over the first 21 games of the season, Gallo had posted a .296/.424/.519 in the 10 games prior to the start of yesterday’s game.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/15/yankee...art-to-season/

What do I think Judge is worth? 8 years, $280 million. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than that though.
    Sounds about right to me.

If Judge finds $35m per unsatisfactory, I'm hopeful the Yanks can apply that $35m (+ Britton's $15m) to a couple of other primo FAs that can fill other weaknesses.

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast