Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I don't blame them for not signing Freeman, he's going to turn 33 this season. He may be good this season and next but what about after that? The FO should have traded for for CJ Cron or maybe Josh Bell during the offseason. First basemen really aren't worth all that much as far as asking price. I wouldn't be surprised if Banuelos or Castro and a minor leaguer was all it took to get Cron or Bell right now.

Rizzo is every bit the declining player I expected. What was unexpected was his power surge early on. This club focuses way too much on past reputation rather than what a player can give you moving forward.
    I would somewhat disagree that they focus too much on past performance. Luke Voit, Michael Tauchman, Didier Gregorius, Aaron Hicks before the injuries, Gio Urshela and now IKF and Rortvedt are all guys without past performance who the Yankees believed they could get more out of with varying degrees of success. Actually I think Cashman has been one of the better GM's when it comes to finding diamonds in the rough overall, but that's a crime of opportunity, meaning that these are all cases where the Yankees chose not to spend and instead to dumpster dive. As far as past performance goes, Rizzo's performance thus far is pretty consistent with his past 3 years overall. So in that respect they have been correct about what to expect from him. I think some fans expected some kind of resurrection when the Yankees signed him, like he would somehow perform the way he did in the Cubs championship seasons just by donning pinstripes. I don't think the front office ever said they expected that of him though.

The problem is with Cashman not selling his prospects at their height. Recent guys like Andujar, Frazier, and now Florial. Could have gotten Cole when he was with Pittsburg for Andujar and Frazier. He never would have went to the Astros and we probably would have won the ship that year.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    The problem is with Cashman not selling his prospects at their height. Recent guys like Andujar, Frazier, and now Florial. Could have gotten Cole when he was with Pittsburg for Andujar and Frazier. He never would have went to the Astros and we probably would have won the ship that year.
    I agree regarding selling high.
    I will only question, if Cole never went to the Astros, would he have developed the same way? I think having Verlander as the ace allowed Cole to develop. I don't know if he would have had the same success if he came straight here.

I absolutely agree about your premise. I also think it's a tough spot. You want guys from your system to succeed. Right now they have a ton of high end talent in the middle IF. Even if all ended up fulfilling their potential, there wouldn't be room.

Ignorance is bliss

Besides Benintendi, if I were Cashman I would be keeping my eyes on the Mariners right now to see if they keep falling out of contention. Jesse Winker has been complete trash for them but I think there's value. We desperately need another LH bat besides Rizzo, Gallo and Hicks aren't going to cut it.

I think Andujar's performance (albeit only a few games in) is encouraging especially his outfield defense, he made some nice plays today. He might surprise and turn into an everyday player but I still think we need another solid LH bat to complete this offense. It would be ideal if they could platoon Winker vs righties and then Andujar vs lefties.

Gallo I'd trade to the NL, there are teams that could use a LH power OFer like the Mets, Padres and the Brewers. I'd rather keep Gallo than Hicks but we all know Hicks has no value at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post
    Besides Benintendi, if I were Cashman I would be keeping my eyes on the Mariners right now to see if they keep falling out of contention. Jesse Winker has been complete trash for them but I think there's value. We desperately need another LH bat besides Rizzo, Gallo and Hicks aren't going to cut it.

I think Andujar's performance (albeit only a few games in) is encouraging especially his outfield defense, he made some nice plays today. He might surprise and turn into an everyday player but I still think we need another solid LH bat to complete this offense. It would be ideal if they could platoon Winker vs righties and then Andujar vs lefties.

Gallo I'd trade to the NL, there are teams that could use a LH power OFer like the Mets, Padres and the Brewers. I'd rather keep Gallo than Hicks but we all know Hicks has no value at all.
    i do not get this love for benintendi he has 2 home runs in 155 at bats. jose trevino in 69 at bats has 2 home runs.. sure he has a great batting average so far this year but he has no power..

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    i do not get this love for benintendi he has 2 home runs in 155 at bats. jose trevino in 69 at bats has 2 home runs.. sure he has a great batting average so far this year but he has no power..
    We have enough power in our lineup. We need batting avg, contact, OBP%, solid defense and speed and athleticism would be a huge plus.. Check out what Judge said today, "batting avg is King"

We already traded for an OFer with 40hr + power, look how thats working out. Lets not make that mistake again by get a power but but sacrificing good contact

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    We have enough power in our lineup. We need batting avg, contact, OBP%, solid defense and speed and athleticism would be a huge plus.. Check out what Judge said today, "batting avg is King"

We already traded for an OFer with 40hr + power, look how thats working out. Lets not make that mistake again by get a power but but sacrificing good contact
    I think the sabermetric community would beg to differ with first bolded.

To the second, I think the answer is balance in the line up. Contact hitters in addition to power bats to drive home runs. I am a firm believer in the Earl Weaver school of thought, ""The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

HOWEVER, I believe the current offensive malaise in the Yankee line: the contact bats acquired aren't hitting. You need table setters. IKF, DJ, JD, Trevino, Torres, Rizzo, Hicks all with dismal BA's. I realize injuries will always play a role and are part of the game.

This should in NO WAY be construed as advocating for more power or in any way a negative regarding Benintendi.

That said the offense in general has been lackluster, the pitching has bailed them out repeatedly. This is potentially a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I think the sabermetric community would beg to differ with first bolded.

To the second, I think the answer is balance in the line up. Contact hitters in addition to power bats to drive home runs. I am a firm believer in the Earl Weaver school of thought, ""The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

HOWEVER, I believe the current offensive malaise in the Yankee line: the contact bats acquired aren't hitting. You need table setters. IKF, DJ, JD, Trevino, Torres, Rizzo, Hicks all with dismal BA's. I realize injuries will always play a role and are part of the game.

This should in NO WAY be construed as advocating for more power or in any way a negative regarding Benintendi.

That said the offense in general has been lackluster, the pitching has bailed them out repeatedly. This is potentially a recipe for disaster.
    With the way this lineup is constructed i'd rather have a high batting avg guy over the 3 true outcomes guy, every time.

To get those 3 run HRs you need guys on-base, we don't have enough of those IMO.

I absolutely agree you have to have that balance in the lineup and a couple of guys in the middle that can do both doesn't hurt

With the way this lineup is constructed i'd rather have a high batting avg guy over the 3 true outcomes guy, every time.

To get those 3 run HRs you need guys on-base, we don't have enough of those IMO.

I absolutely agree you have to have that balance in the lineup and a couple of guys in the middle that can do both doesn't hurt
    With due respect Day, I disagree. Imo the table setters are not performing. Aside from Judge and Stanton the offense has been stagnant.

How can we argue with the results. Why mess with success. They have the best record in the MLB, are leading the division by 5.5 games and have the primo rotation and BP in the ML. A .711 win % should we even be having this convo?

Andujar is a better player than Benintendi and he's already on the team.

@M_Marakovits
    ·
    1m
    After taking swings in the cage…DJ LeMahieu told me his wrist is good to go. He’ ll be an option off the bench tonight and expects to be back in the lineup tomorrow #yankees

Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    Andujar is a better player than Benintendi and he's already on the team.
    I wouldn't say he's a better player. I hope that his defense has greatly improved but Benintendi is a GG winner in LF, LH and a very high avg /OBP% guy. Fit wise, Benintendi is what we need at this point IMO.

That said, I would love nothing more than to see Andujar take this opportunity and run with it. If he can show he can be the hitter he showed he was his rookie yr , he would be a massive help that we don't have to go get.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    With due respect Day, I disagree. Imo the table setters are not performing. Aside from Judge and Stanton the offense has been stagnant.

How can we argue with the results. Why mess with success. They have the best record in the MLB, are leading the division by 5.5 games and have the primo rotation and BP in the ML. A .711 win % should we even be having this convo?
    Doc I get your point but because of how good the pitching is, is the reason we need to have this convo. Our pitching has bailed us out so many times this yr and is the driving reason we have the record and lead that we do. The much improved defense has helped as well.

That said, against the few really good teams that there are this season, we can't count on the pitching only allowing 1-2 runs.

I agree that the table setters and offense in general haven't been great. IMO with as good as the pitching has been, this is the time you go get the players we need to give us the best chance we can to win the chip.

IKF is what he is, they aren't going to go upgrade that position unless it comes internally. Plus, he been getting hits and doing what he does. Peraza is heating up, maybe he comes up and helps later in the yr.

I don't mind what we getting from Trevino offensively, which is above league avg from the C position, when you factor in his elite defense. I know Contreras has been talked about and he is the superior offensive player without question. The down side is he is one of the worst receivers by the number in BB. With how the pitching is, I don't think we want to go back to a Sanchez type C, at least I wouldn't.

The 2 other dead spot offensively in the order are Hicks and Gallo. IMO, do give us the best chance to win the WS, we have to upgrade at least one if not both. We need the current table setters to do better, but I think we need to upgrade where we can.

It's not like were getting that many realistic chance at a chip anymore. This yr is one of those opportunities and I would love to see them take every chance to capitalize on that

gallo cant hit for average but he will hit home, runs and he is a better defender then benintendi gallo has as good a arm as anyone in baseball.. so he contributes on defense..benintendi from what i have seen of him has a very weak arm..do we want 2 weak arms in the field hicks and benintendi

the yanks could have gotten away with 1 or even 2 weak offensive players but they have 4 in the everyday lineup.. that is why if one of the big hitters is is a slump or is injured the team will struggle at the plate..

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast