Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    My son told me today that the rumor mill has the Sox talking trade with Boston for Bogartes(sp?) They need something to happen that will instill life in them. This team is playing really, really BAD in everything but starting pitching right now.
    I can only imagine what that would cost us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    I can only imagine what that would cost us.
    https://southsideshowdown.com/2022/0...nder-bogaerts/

Not thrilled about any of these (especially the 3rd offer which is such an overpay).

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    https://southsideshowdown.com/2022/0...nder-bogaerts/

Not thrilled about any of these (especially the 3rd offer which is such an overpay).
    No way I do any of those without him signing an extension. The only I'd consider is option 2, but I have high hopes for Crochet. I don't love Cespedes.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    No way I do any of those without him signing an extension. The only I'd consider is option 2, but I have high hopes for Crochet. I don't love Cespedes.
    I'd still rather move Moncada to 2nd base or trade him and move up Sanchez. They still need a good starting pitcher.

I get these emails from Scott Merkin called the White Sox Beat Newsletter. Couldn't find a link to a webpage holding this info, but figured I'd copy/paste what was in the email that featured a conversation with Rick Hahn. Clears up a few things.

Welcome to a new segment now known as “White Sox issues to discuss with Rick Hahn.”

Ok, I’m still working on a better name, but the White Sox general manager took time at the start of the Yankees series to answer more than a few questions I posed to him, which you have posed to me at various times since the start of Spring Training. Hahn’s in-depth answers will be split into this week and next week’s Newsletters, which we in the business call a tease or a promo.

So, let’s tackle Part 1 of this conversation.

Left-handed-hitting outfielder

I first mentioned left-handed hitting in general, bringing up Gavin Sheets, after which Hahn also mentioned switch-hitters such as Yoán Moncada and Yasmani Grandal. Eventually I arrived at the need for a left-handed-hitting outfielder to further balance the lineup.

“We certainly were in the market in various conversations to guys who would fit that profile,” Hahn said. “When you say left-handed right fielder, you are saying you wanted us to get more lineup balance to do damage against right-handed pitching. And in the end, you add AJ Pollock to this club, we added someone who does damage against right-handed pitching not only in 2021 but throughout his career.

“Not perhaps the prototype you had in mind at the start of the offseason when you say we need a left-handed bat. But in terms of the actual offensive production, AJ has a track record of being more productive than perhaps some of the left-handed-hitting options we could have plugged in there.”

Free agent Michael Conforto was the overwhelmingly popular White Sox fan choice. Conforto won’t play in 2022 after undergoing shoulder surgery.

“I will always have respect for fan opinions and ideas,” Hahn said. “The bare minimum I would ask is an understanding that not only are team executives looking to do everything in their power to make the team better and want to do so as much as any individual fan does, but also more often than not, they are privy to information that is not readily available publicly.

“One very popular free agent from this offseason wound up not signing for reasons that were known to clubs well before they were known publicly. Again, that influences your decision-making process.”

Carlos Rodón

Rodón allowed eight runs over 3 2/3 innings in a 15-6 loss to the Cardinals on Sunday, during a game in which future Hall of Famer Albert Pujols pitched. But the southpaw, who was a 2021 All-Star for the White Sox, had been dominant for the Giants up until that point. The White Sox did not bring back Rodón or offer the free agent a qualifying offer, which Hahn explained.

“Based on all the information we had at the time, we felt it was more prudent to continue to maintain the financial flexibility into the offseason, even if it was going to cost us the 80th pick in the Draft,” Hahn said. “Didn’t preclude us from revisiting signing Carlos from a different type of deal at some point.

“But at that point in time, given the potential economic commitment it was going to require, we preferred to maintain our flexibility even though obviously we were forsaking a chance to get roughly the 80th pick in the Draft. Nothing to do with not wanting Draft picks or not appreciating the value of Draft picks. It was just a part of the decision-making calculus at the time where flexibility was more important than the pick.”

Hahn is happy for Rodón’s success, including his breakout campaign with the White Sox in ’21.

“It’s wonderful. He’s a kid who has been through so much,” Hahn said. “I was thrilled last year he got to show White Sox fans what he’s capable of doing when he’s fully healthy and everything is right. It’s a testament to Carlos and his family.

“Selfishly, it’s also a testament to our scouts, who fought for him out of North Carolina State, our training staff who helped him navigate through all the setbacks he had the first part of his career, and the fact that the first half of this season looks a lot like the first half of last season is wonderful. Very happy for him.”

The only issue I have with his Rodon explanation is that they could have applied the same logic towards Kimbrel. Only Kimbrel would not have netted us a pick, and he only ended up netting us Pollock who we are paying $15 mil for, and appears nowhere close to earning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    The only issue I have with his Rodon explanation is that they could have applied the same logic towards Kimbrel. Only Kimbrel would not have netted us a pick, and he only ended up netting us Pollock who we are paying $15 mil for, and appears nowhere close to earning it.
    I think picking up Kimbrel's option was to save face from the trade, and also try to get back an asset later on (which they did). I also firmly believe had they offered the QO to Rodon he would've declined anyways. Why couldn't these conversations been had leading up to the QO deadline? The draft pick, while not end of the world not getting it, definitely helps.

You really have to think about what if anything the hitting coaches are doing for this team. It seems to me that the majority of these hitters are worth much in even attempting to adjust on how they approach hitting and especially adjusting to how they are shifted against and trying to beat the shift and going with the pitch. Look at our batting orders. When I looked at the Yankees they adjusted other than a couple guys who were dead pull hitters. Our guys do not as a rule and it is stupid to me.

I think picking up Kimbrel's option was to save face from the trade, and also try to get back an asset later on (which they did). I also firmly believe had they offered the QO to Rodon he would've declined anyways. Why couldn't these conversations been had leading up to the QO deadline? The draft pick, while not end of the world not getting it, definitely helps.
    I liked the Kimbrel trade when they made it but it was kind of a have to do something deal in the end. I wanted them to make a qualifying off for Rodon and I hoped that they would re-sign him. I loved the guy's make-up and am disappointed in Pollock.

With all the talk about Juan Soto potentially being traded, and this thread dead in the water, lets throw out some packages for Soto:

Me personally, I'd throw the kitchen sink at them. I'd decimate our short handed system for 2.5 years of Soto, and I'd make him the high paid baseball as soon as possible.

I'd give them 1 of Montgomery or Ramos

I'd Give them Garrett Crochet or Vaughn (If we keep Vaughn, then I'd include Sheets)

I'd give them Jake Burger

I'd give them Eloy Jimenez

I'd give them Wes Kath

I'd give them Yolequi Cespedes

I would try to hang onto 1 of Montgomery and Ramos to be our 3B of the future. I'd try to hold onto Colas to form an OF of Soto/Robert/Colas. I'd hand onto Sosa and Yolbert for future MI's.

You might be able to take a few of those guys off the list and throw Moncada in the deal.

2022 Chicago White Sox Trade Discussion & Ideas Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    With all the talk about Juan Soto potentially being traded, and this thread dead in the water, lets throw out some packages for Soto:

Me personally, I'd throw the kitchen sink at them. I'd decimate our short handed system for 2.5 years of Soto, and I'd make him the high paid baseball as soon as possible.

I'd give them 1 of Montgomery or Ramos

I'd Give them Garrett Crochet or Vaughn (If we keep Vaughn, then I'd include Sheets)

I'd give them Jake Burger

I'd give them Eloy Jimenez

I'd give them Wes Kath

I'd give them Yolequi Cespedes

I would try to hang onto 1 of Montgomery and Ramos to be our 3B of the future. I'd try to hold onto Colas to form an OF of Soto/Robert/Colas. I'd hand onto Sosa and Yolbert for future MI's.
    Our minor league prospect appeal is very low unfortunately so we’d be essentially needing to gut the ml roster to do it. Starting with Robert to even bring them to the table.

My guess is something like Robert and Cease. Or Robert, Vaughn, Crochet and a minor league prospect in our top 10.

Soto is a stud plain and simple, turns 24 this weekend and not even a FA until 2025, and to get him at this age you’re going to pay heavily. He’s proven, unlike Luis who I ****ing love as a player, and that is the big difference in value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pierzynski4Prez; 05-19-2022 at 11:55 PM.

Our minor league prospect appeal is very low unfortunately so we’d be essentially needing to gut the ml roster to do it. Starting with Robert to even bring them to the table.

My guess is something like Robert and Cease. Or Robert, Vaughn, Crochet and a minor league prospect in our top 10.

Soto is a stud plain and simple, turns 24 this weekend and not even a FA until 2025, and to get him at this age you’re going to pay heavily. He’s proven, unlike Luis who I ****ing love as a player, and that is the big difference in value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Soto> Robert, but tossing in Cease on a deal makes it a MASSIVE overpay. Robert and just Vaughn is a slight overpay, but adding in Crochet and another spec is too much IMO
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Some of our specs are gonna rise if they play well. Especially the 20 year olds playing well. I think 1 of Ramos/Montgomery and 1 of Crochet/Vaughn is a good front end of that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Soto> Robert, but tossing in Cease on a deal makes it a MASSIVE overpay. Robert and just Vaughn is a slight overpay, but adding in Crochet and another spec is too much IMO
    I promise you Vaughn + Robert is not an overpay. Robert + Cease might be close to an overpay I agree, but you're going to have a plethora of teams were competing against. Looking at a few baseball trade value sites, a few have Robert + Cease as right there with Soto. One has Robert + Cease as still an underpay.

It's a lot to give up, but Soto is just on another level. He's a year younger than Luis and has already accomplished a ton more. If you want him, you're going to have to pay a lot. We don't have any specs in the top of the rankings to hand over that would ease the burden of throwing in someone like Cease.

Soto turns 24 today, has played 500 games and has a career OBP of .430. His similarity scores through his current age match up with guys like Hank Aaron, Griffey Jr, Mantle, Trout, Cabrera, Frank Robinson. Anyone getting him is going to be breaking the bank to do so, and then extending him for about 400 million.

I don't think we'll be in the running for the record. Too many teams out there with multiple prospects ranked in the top 25-30 that can combine those + something from the ML roster.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast