Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Thanks for the updates guys. I'm reading them and look forward to them each day.
    No problem man! I have fun doing it.

Team is off today. Monday will probably be a little light and Tuesday is the first day of pads. Gonna be exciting.

It’s been a decent start of camp but pads will answer so much. Early reports is that the Oline looks better even without Armstead, but you can’t tell for sure until pads. Liam and AJ look good so far but let’s see when it’s more physical. How is Connor Williams going to hold up? Is JP able to dominate like he has so far this offseason. I also feel like this would be when a LB like Tindall starts to heat up.

I also want to see the secondary vs the passing game. No Byron has hurt them and there’s only so much you can expect from guys like Noah and Needham against Tyreek and Waddle. But will the defense get more physical with pads? Will we see Tua play well when he has to hold the ball that split second longer?
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 07-31-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Day 5 reports. Sounds like a red zone heavy day.

Marcel:
    Alec Ingold and Raheem Mostert wore red non-contact jerseys at practice Monday

Trill Williams had a sick one-handed INT vs Tua during red zone drills. Not sure if Tua was trying to throw it away but from my angle I didn’t see a receiver in the area(sounds like a miscommunication between Tua and Waddle)

Been a strong camp for Williams so far. He’s making plays.

Said on @BigOShow last week that it wouldn’t shock me if it was Williams, not Igbinoghene, filling in for Byron Jones in Week 1 if necessary

This was the low point during an otherwise solid day for Tua.

Few TD passes, the deep shots keep coming

Furones:
    Tua Tagovailoa threw a deep touchdown to Erik Ezukanma. He also hit Tyreek Hill with plenty of room for TD run after catch and another big gain to Jaylen Waddle.

Teddy Bridgewater was limited, Michael Deiter (foot), Adam Butler (undisclosed) remain out at Dolphins Monday practice. Terron Armstead out there participating but not in team portions, and Raheem Mostert, Alec Ingold wore red.

Safid
    QB Tua Tagovailoa with several TDs in red zone work, perhaps none more important than the one he threw to Mike Gesicki.

Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Chase Edmonds, Cethan Carter and Mo Sanu among TD scorers Monday.

CB Trill Williams had a stellar one-handed INT on Monday in the red zone.

Raekwon Davis and Andrew Van Ginkel had sacks as well.

QB Teddy Bridgewater was limited.

Raekwon Davis says Connor Williams has been huge for the progress the third-year DT is making this camp/off-season

Raekwon Davis says he’s the lightest he’s been since his sophomore year at Alabama. Says he feels like he took a weight vest off. Lighter & quicker.

Started doing more cardio and stopped snacking with his kids.

Barry posted a full story I’ll post later. Travis Wingfield had his Twitter thread as well but I don’t have time at work for all of that right now lol
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 08-01-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Barry’s recap

STARS OF THE DAY ▪ Rookie Erik Ezukanma. He and Braylon Sanders have been the best of the receivers competing for the No. 4 job, and he caught a 40-yard TD from Tua Tagovailoa on Monday.

Tagovailoa. He had another good day, delivering a 45-yard TD pass to Tyreek Hill on a crossing route, as well as the aforementioned long TD pass to Ezukanma and a 35-yard TD pass to Jaylen Waddle over the middle. The Hill and Waddle throws - which came on consecutive plays - involved some run after the catch. But the Ezukanma play covered 40 air yards. Tagovailoa overthrew two passes to begin practice and threw an interception late in practice to Trill Williams, who made a one-handed catch in the corner of the end zone. There appeared to be miscommunication between Tagovailoa and Waddle on the play, allowing Williams an opportunity to intercept it.

Tagovailoa was very sharp otherwise. He also had a 10-yard TD pass to Cethan Carter and a 5-yard TD throw to Chase Edmonds. He also ran for a 10-yard touchdown.

Riley — Miami’s No. 3 linebacker — continued an excellent training camp by knocking away Thompson’s pass to Hunter Long in the end zone. Eguavoen had a good play in pass coverage and flushed Tagovailoa from the pocket on a one passing attempt, forcing him to throw it away. ▪

Thompson, given more opportunity in Bridgewater’s absence, acquitted himself well, delivering short TD passes to Hill and Trent Sherfield in red zone drills and then throwing a strike over the middle to Waddle for a TD, followed up by a 20-yard completion to Sherfield. He later threw a short TD pass to rookie tight end Tanner Connor. ▪

Williams, who had the impressive interception. The second-year cornerback from Syracuse is making a strong case for the No. 4 cornerback job. He has two interceptions in training camp.

Tagovailoa evaded pressure to deliver the 40-yard pass over the middle to Ezukanma for the touchdown, beating Brandon Jones. It was a difficult throw, because Tagovailoa was on the run. ▪ On the aforementioned Hill TD pass over the middle, Nik Needham was beaten and Jevon Holland couldn’t come over quickly enough. ▪ Calvin Munson blew up a running play to ZaQuadre White. Melvin Ingram also stuffed a rushing attempt.

Raekwon Davis and Andrew Van Ginkel had sacks. ▪ Mohamad Sanu caught a TD in red zone drills.

Zach Sieler was very strong against the run, as usual. ▪ Myles Gaskin had a couple of nifty runs that could have gone for 10 to 15 yards in a real game. ▪

With Michael Deiter out for now, Cole Banwart remains the only natural healthy center on the roster. Another veteran is cross-training at center behind Connor Williams, but reporting rules prohibit revealing that player’s identity.

Larnel Coleman and Greg Little have been uneven in their snaps on the offensive line. ($5 says it’s Liam)

Again not having a natural OC on this team may be what blows up this OL. I really haven't read anything good, or bad, about AJ and Eichenberg yet . . . so not sure what to read into it. Pads will tell us way more.

I'm excited for this offense this year. If Tua can consistently hit those bombs in TC, then other teams will absolutely need to take those plays into consideration. The proof he is hitting them throughout TC will give teams pause to start the regular season.

I'm very curious to see how the defense plays under Boyer's total control. I think Flo controlled that defense the past couple years, with Boyer kind of 'just there'. I want to see if Boyer can help make this unit a top 10 defense this year. The talent is there to do it, especially on the DL and DB.

^^^^a good general rule is if you don’t hear about a lineman that’s a good thing. Obviously no pads but I’ve heard that Liam looks much more comfortable and AJ is somewhat decent. But again, no pads.

Todays the first day of pads so I’ll have a bajillion tweets to post. Unfortunately I probably won’t have time to post them on my lunch but I’ll have it later tonight. Or of course Gambo will beat me to it.

Edit: just scrolling through Twitter right now and apparently the Oline is getting blown up lol. Boyer is calling some blitzes so it’s a combo of free rushers and guys winning reps. The free blitzer will likely take time with communication.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 08-02-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Well even with the news yesterday there was still a practice. Here’s Barry’s recap.

STARS OF THE DAY ▪ The pass rushers: Defensive coordinator Josh Boyer unleashed a bunch of blitzes, but even on four-man rushes, the Dolphins defense often got to the quarterbacks on a day that left tackle Terron Armstead sat out 7-on-7 drills.

Melvin Ingram, Cameron Goode, Jevon Holland and Porter Gustis had would-be sacks; Gustis had two. Christian Wilkins, Duke Riley and Kader Kohou flushed quarterbacks out of the pocket.

Tyreek Hill: This is a recording. He began practice with a 30-yard catch-and-run from Tua Tagovailoa, then caught another 25-yarder from Tagovailoa and a 20-yarder from Skylar Thompson.

Jaylen Waddle: He scampered for 15 yards on a carry and caught a 20-yard pass from Thompson, who has looked very good the past two days. ▪ Erik Ezukanma: The rookie receiver caught a long pass and appears to be leading the competition for the No. 4 receiver job.

PLAYS OF THE DAY ▪ Sam Eguavoen blew up Myles Gaskin on a rushing attempt.

Chase Edmonds scampered through a big hole created by Liam Eichenberg and Connor Williams for a sizable gain on a running play. Edmonds has had a very good camp and look like Miami’s lead back. ▪ Tagovailoa delivered another long pass to rookie Ezukanma for the second day in a row. This one traveled about 40 air yards, and Ezukanma took it into the end zone. Rookie corner Kader Kohou was beaten on the play. Ezukanma has the look of someone who’s ready to get some snaps in a loaded wide receiver room.

NOTABLE ▪ Thompson has staked a strong claim to a practice squad job early in camp. His accuracy has been pretty good — including a 20-yarder to Hill and intermediate throws to Cedrick Wilson Jr. and Ezukanma on Tuesday. And he doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. ▪ Tagovailoa had another pretty good day, aside from a near interception that Brandon Jones drop.

He also had one overthrow to Wilson on a sideline throw — Xavien Howard had tight coverage — but was otherwise on target, completing several 10- to 25-yard throws and the deeper one to Ezukanma. Tagovailoa has thrown just two interceptions in six practices. ▪ Teddy Bridgewater was back in 11-on-11 drills after missing Monday’s team drills with a minor injury. He took quarterback snaps behind Tagovailoa.

Zach Sieler and Sheldrick Redwine stuffed Salvon Ahmed on a rushing attempt. ▪ Mike Gesicki — who was targeted in the passing game only once in the previous two practices — caught a 15-yard pass. ▪ Ahmed remains involved in the passing game, just as he was last August. He can take advantage of defenders on wheel routes if he makes the team and gets any playing time.

▪ Waddle, Edmonds, Noah Igbinoghene, DeVonte Dedmon and Raheem Mostert worked as returners, in addition to their other responsibilities. ▪ Zach Sieler wore the orange practice jersey awarded to the best player in the previous day’s practice.

Byron Jones (lower), Michael Deiter (foot), Adam Butler (undisclosed injury), defensive back Elijah Campbell (non-football injury) and fullback John Lovett (undisclosed injury) remained sidelined. ▪ Terron Armstead and Sony Michel were limited as the Dolphins transition them back from offseason procedures. They have both been cleared medically, but the Dolphins are being judicious in their camp usage. ▪ Mostert and Alec Ingold — who are coming off 2021 knee surgeries — were in red non-contact jerseys. Both say they will be ready for the regular season opener.

6 quick-hit takeaways from Dolphins' training camp Day 7

The Miami Dolphins took the fields at Baptist Health Training Complex just across from Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens on Wednesday for their third practice of the week and the third in front of fans.

With pads on and fans in attendance, there was clearly a lot of energy from Mike McDaniel’s squad, but some of the players that were absent had their presence dearly missed.

Here’s what we took away from the Dolphins’ seventh day of training camp.

The QB donned the orange jersey
    After a solid string of practices, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa got the honor of being named the practice player of the day. He wore the orange practice jersey and picked the playlist for the Dolphins to get pumped up to, including some Hawaiian music.

Participation Update:
    Running back Chase Edmonds, wide receiver Tyreek Hill and left tackle Terron Armstead all were absent on Wednesday due to Miami’s load management plan. This is back-to-back days off for Armstead.

Fullback Alec Ingold and running back Raheem Mostert didn’t participate. They’ve been wearing non-contact jerseys to this point in camp.

Center Michael Deiter remained out with a foot injury.

Cornerback Byron Jones remains out on PUP.

Defensive front owned the line of scrimmage
    In 11-on-11s, the front seven was constantly getting pressure on the quarterbacks and blowing up runs at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. They weren’t as strong on Tuesday, but they really bounced back on Wednesday for another impressive performance.

Skylar Thompson looks like an NFL arm
    It’s early in his career, but Thompson, the seventh-round pick out of Kansas State, has impressed in recent practices, including his showing on Wednesday.

In red-zone work, he completed an easy touchdown pass to Gerrid Doaks, but he also found Ezukanma a couple of times in 11-on-11s.

If this progression keeps up, he’ll make it a tough task for Miami to cut him with the hopes of signing him back to the practice squad, as they would risk other teams claiming him.

No. 4 WR battle rages on
    Ezukanma had himself a great day on Wednesday, making a number of plays, including the two receptions from Thompson in team drills. Teddy Bridgewater also found him in the back of the end zone for a touchdown in red-zone work, and he brought in a great 50-50 during one-on-ones.

Undrafted rookie Braylon Sanders has also put together a great camp to this point, but returning veterans, such as Preston Williams and Lynn Bowden Jr. haven’t made the impact they were expected to.

Hunter Long's struggles were noticeable
    As we look to enter the 2022 season, the Dolphins likely have a hope that second-year tight end Hunter Long steps up and takes on a bigger role than he did as a rookie. However, we haven’t seen anything in training camp that shows signs of a jump.

On Wednesday, Long dropped two passes from Tagovailoa, including one attempt where he was wide open and could’ve run for a 30-yard touchdown. He needs to stay and get some extra work with one of the quarterbacks or the Jugs machine to improve his biggest weakness right now.

Here’s a bunch of tweets from multiple writers just vomited all out.

Wes Welker says the Dolphins knew Erik Ezukanma was a developmental project type of player and that he is coming along. It’s never easy as a rookie in this offense.

Dolphins receiver coach Wes Welker said today is the day he is getting Lynn Bowden move involved. Putting him in Waddle’s role does just that.

Dolphins TE coach/assistant HC Jon Embree on whether Mike McDaniel had to address team in wake of tampering violations: “Nothing to be said. Control what you can control.”

Dolphins OL Matt Applebaum on Connor Williams’ transition to center: “Up to this point, I think he’s been kicking ***.”

Dolphins OL coach Applebaum said Connor Williams is kicking *** at center and Adam Pankey is cross training there, with Deiter out. So Williams, Banwart and Pankey available at center.(I found out that Adam Pankey was still on this team from this tweet. I want to die every day thinking about the center position)

Tua comes into our room all the time and talks some trash,” Wes Welker on Tua Tagovailoa.

Had a chat with Darrel Bevell before practice and asked him about Tua’s accuracy, what makes him so precise?

Coach compared QB accuracy to a math equation. You have all these factors you have to account for, and it’s really a feel; a feel he says Tua has

I asked Wes Welker about Erik Ezukanma drawing each play in the practice script each night before bed. He says that’s mandatory for all rookies.

“That’s what I did as a rookie so that’s what they’re going to do.”

Tua Tagovailoa has the orange jersey today

Tyreek Hill and Chase Edmonds will not practice today, getting a load management day.

Mentioned on the pod that Jevon Holland leads the defensive stretch line - now I’ve got video(Dude is going to have that Captain patch this year)

dolphins doing an INT drill and it’s noticeable how much better Holland and Howard’s ball skills are than just about anybody.

We got 1on1's going on:

Salvon Ahmed with a contested catch over Duke Riley -- his receiving game has been nice this camp

Hunter Long had a nice route where he used his body to generate some separation at the top of the route. Physical route runner.

Tua finds Cedrick for a TD

Xavien Howard shows you during 1 on 1 why he’s this team’s best player still.

Ezukanma with a leaping grab in one on ones on a post…very DVP-esque

CB Xavien Howard stretched out and was able to deflect a pass from Tua intended for Jaylen Waddle in one-on-one drills.

Great pass. Better defense as Tua connects with Trent Sherfield on the same throw.

Another day, another Erik Ezukanma highlight with deep 1-on-1 TD against Kader Kohou.

Tua misfires on a back shoulder throw intended for Cedrick Wilson as #Dolphins finish first set of one-on-ones in practice.

Solomon Kindley struggled during 1 on 1s vs the D-line. He is usually solid at pass protection, so this isn’t a good sign.

First play of 11 on 11 and Tua had to check down to gaskin cause Trent Sherfield was covered.

Sanders and Ezukanma with two excellent catches from Tua in WR/DB drills. And we'll repeat: Do not discount WR Trent Sherfield; Welker has raved about him. He played 24 percent of 49ers' offensive snaps last season(we’re gonna be upset about our WR6 getting cut again just like Kirk Merritt last year)

Raekwon Davis blows up a Sony Michel run for a loss – won with power

Raekwon Davis with run stuff in 11-on-11. Emmanuel Ogbah sack.

Tua with a coverage sack. Jerome Baker was the first guy in the backfield but the Fullback picked him up. Ogbah finished up the play.

Tanner Conner with a 35 yard catch from Teddy Bridgewater. Nice throw by the vet.

Several plays into 11-on-11s now. Defense doing a real good job of setting the edge and stopping the run. Eguavoen just flew in for a TFL.

ZaQuandre White fumbled the ball on a left side run and Brannon Scarlett recovered it

Sam Eguavoen with a clear, undeniable sack of Teddy Bridgewater before he throws the ball on a completion to Lynn Bowden.

Dolphins D-line has clogged up the run game today, which is the second day of pads.

Defensive line/pass rush winning today. Pocket is collapsing on most pass plays, and runs aren’t going anywhere.

Strong response to their performance yesterday

Skylar Thompson evaded pressure and completed a first down pass to Easy E.

Easy E with another nice reception from Sklar Thompson, who again evaded pressure before throwing the ball. Took a little too long though. Late throw.

Definitely can tell Tyreek Hill is out of practice today. Offense hasn't been nearly as crisp or explosive through 11-on-11s so far

Hunter Long dropped a Tua pass short to sideline.

Jaelan Phillips and Melvin Ingram then combine for sack of Tua.

Ahmed goes uncovered up the sideline and Teddy finds him… the defense doesn’t touch him until ushering him out of bounds 35 yards later

Tua with a blitz beater to River Cracraft for a touchdown of 50 yards. Noah and Rowe closes defenders on what was clearly a miscommunication.

Chrisitan Wilkins rushes in for a would-be sack – Tua finishes the play with a strike to Ezukanma

Easy E with a catch on Xavien Howard, who I’m shocked is still practicing. Dolphins working on their exotic stuff so maybe Howard wants the looks.

Channing Tindall just carried a route 40 yards downfield staying stride for stride with Cedrick Wilson. Thompson threw it about as good as he could have, but the rookie breaks it up. Unreal speed.

Christian Wilkins with the pressure, Tua steps out of it and fires a strike to Sherfield who was between a trio of defenders. Good start to the period for the offense.

Jaelan Phillips has another sack. That’s at least two today.

Jevon Holland just broke up a deep pass from Tua to Lynn Bowden.

Dolphins seemingly working on some situation that requires offense to throw ball downfield and defense only having 4 defenders in coverage. It was odd

Tanner Conner with yet another deep TD catch from Tua. Blitz beater again. Welcome to practice rookie.

Connor Williams' snaps, in a transition from guard to center, are a bit of a concern.

High snap doesn’t faze Tua – gathers it and lobs a beautiful ball to Jaylen Waddle who runs right through it for some RAC yards

Teddy with a pair of red zone TD tosses -- first he threads a tight window to Cracraft, then he finds Ezukanma in the back of the end zone

Christian Wilkins with a sack of Tua during goal line work. QB held onto the ball too long.

Tua to Waddle for a RZ TD – akin to the ball we saw against the Panthers last year where he had to be absolutely precise with the timing and location with defenders converging. He was. Six points.

Dolphins practice just ended. Really looking forward to seeing the OL — with Armstead — in joint practices. I think the pressure the DL has been getting is a bit understated because QBs can’t be touched.

I wanted to come in and play a little lighter because of the scheme we have. We do a lot of running,” Robert Hunt said.

Tua asked about his marriage: It was very special. Whoever leaked it must have been waiting outside the courthouse. I try to keep my life as private as possible. Obviously in this world that’s not how it is. It’s almost disrespectful.

“I think the team is all in with me,” Tua said when asked Miami’s pursuit of Tom Brady.

Don’t hear it. Don’t see it. Go home to my family. Study,” Tua Tagovailoa said.

I don’t want people to get the misconception that being humble is being meek,” Tua Tagovailoa said. (Jesus Christ I hope he goes off this year cause saucy Tua is fun).

They have very good ball tracking skills and are long,” Tua on Easy E and Sanders. “Those are definitely darkhorses for our team.”

Braylon Sanders: Tua is the leader of this team so I’m going to listen what he says and do what he says

Connor Williams stayed after practice to work on snaps with Tua.

Tua Tagovailoa on why the deep ball is always the topic of discussion for him: “People don’t think I can throw the ball far. I would say that’s the fascination like wow he can throw the ball… Kind of hard to be (a QB) in the NFL if you can’t throw the ball, right?”

Team is off tomorrow.

I know I got hyped up for the WR core last year, but man I’m so excited to see these new guys. It really looks like Grier has completely revamped that room and not only gotten the elite playmakers like Waddle and Hill, but there depth looks great. I certainly don’t agree with the reports that they felt like WR was a bigger need than Oline, but considering Tua had back to back years where Ford and Hollins were starters I can’t really blame them. Super excited to see the rookies this preseason. I really think in 2 years Ezuknama will be talked about like Gabriel Davis is getting hyped up this year.

Little concerned about the Oline so far, but Armstead changes so much. Overall it sounds better than last year, but still not good. Excited to see how they perform against the Bucs next week who we know has a dominant run defense. I think our Dline is good obviously and it sounds like the Oline is working through some blitz issues, but if they get whooped next week I’ll start to get PTSD.

Another day another practice. I’ll post the tweets in a bit. Sounds like another strong day from the Dline getting pressure. Oline is opening up some holes in the run game but QBs are getting pressured. Tua was a little off today, not bad but missed some throws. Also Armstead finally practiced, albeit in a limited amount, and made himself known immediately.

Competitors by nature compete and they in general have a yearning to have the ball….but I try not to have preconceived perceptions how they’ll handle not getting the ball,” McDaniel said.

mike mcDaniel: "there's never been a team hurt by too much competition."

Mike McDaniel notes there is a balance in how much to play guys in preseason games. He’s trying not to get ahead of himself. Some starters won’t play Game 1.

We have a great challenge in front of us as the 2022 Dolphins. I think the players are complete and utterly focused on that,” #Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel on how franchise's tampering and tanking report this week affects players on the field this season.

Mike McDaniel not overly concerned about Byron Jones and the regular season at this time

It has been really really cool watching Tua and him compete. That’s an odd thing to say regarding a safety and quarterback,” McDaniel on Jevon Holland.

Mike McDaniel told his players “I see better than I hear.” The idea is that it’s one thing to express your emotions on social media, etc., but the best place and best way to express your emotions is on the football field.

Mike McDaniel on whether he’s concerned about the center-quarterback exchange from Connor Williams:

“I would be concerned if he didn’t work at it.”

Coach says Deiter is expected back soon, potentially next week

Dolphins LB Andrew Van Ginkel in the orange jersey today

Terron Armstead, Tyreek Hill and Chase Edmonds are all back at at practice after getting load management days on Wednesday

Tyreek cooked X in 1 vs 1 but Tua missed him.

X came back on the next rep between the 2 and had Tyreek locked up.

Mohamed Sanu puts on a wicked move at the top of his route, catches one up top from Tua, heads over to the tent hosting the Junior Dolphins and daps up the kids

Tua’s first pass in 11 on 11 is a bullet a little high to Hill that he can’t bring in.

Chase Edmonds hits a run for a chunk to the backside after Tua missed Tyreek on the first play of team

Chase Edmonds gets stopped at the LOS by Jaelen Phillips.

11-on-11s starting now. Ingram, Mostert and Ingold all have taken snaps so far.

Austin Jackson pancaked Baker. There was a flag on the play. Not sure if it was on him or not.

Teddy Bridgewater fires in a pass to Tyreek Hill in the middle of the field.

Run-centric start to 11s but Teddy just delivered a nice pass to Hill over the middle w/ Ellis having sticky coverage

Sklar Thompson overthrows a wide open Braylon Sanders in the back of the end one.

Red zone work now (at the +10) Ogbah sets an edge for Bakers to scrape and shut down a Mostert run

Terron Armstead is doing 11 on 11s today. Just saw him blocking 10 yards downfield.

Dolphins doing goal-to-go from the 10. After defense stuffed a pair of runs, Tua finds Tyreek in the back of the end zone for 6

Van Ginkel races to get Gesicki out of bounds before he can find the pylon on a short catch and run. Good job by Van Ginkel to recognize the flow and get width.

Noah didn't know what to do as he saw Tyreek beat him on a slant on 3rd and goal.

Tua with a coverage sack. Nobody for to him, but nobody got open in the rep from the 4.

Tua sack on 3rd and goal, but it was more so a coverage sack. Austin held his own vs Ogbah.

Tyreek in red zone really shows the quicks and separation – gives Thompson a big target to find the end zone from the 5-yard-line

Tua drops one to Tyreek for 25 to the far hash – Tyreek taps the toes and comes over and fires up the crowd

Tua pulls down a high snap before handing off an end around to Raheem Mostert.

Connor Williams high snaps continue.

Josh Boyer is bringing the pressure that forced Tua to step up and scramble when blitzes came from both edges.

CB Noah Igbinoghene came threw for a sack on QB Tua Tagovailoa on next play from 11-on work.

Porter Gustin sack on Teddy.

Mostert finds room running behind Robert Hunt and doesn’t get contact until Brandon Jones finds him 10 yards downfield

Wilkins and Ogbah converge for a sack on Tua – Wilkins throws the hand up as if to say it was his

Nice recovery by Tua on a third and short conversion with a pass to Tanner Connor. He stumbled a little bit coming out from under center, fleas to his left and finds the TE for the first down

Austin Jackson is working on his kickstep on the side. Clear indication it’s been a rough day for him.

In response to ^^this^^ comment - Easily Austin's best practice in 2 years.

Dolphins OL Terron Armstead said he’s a “big fan” of Miami’s defensive front. Called the signing of Melvin Ingram extremely “underrated” and predicted a “standout” szn for Christian Wilkins.

Quick-hit takeaways from Day 9 of Dolphins' training camp

On Saturday, the Miami Dolphins hit the practice fields at the Baptist Health Training Complex across from Hard Rock Stadium for the second day in a row. Once again, fans were in attendance and got to enjoy some solid competition with both sides recording some highlight plays.

As is customary, the fans were pumped up by the rookies, and for this session, those duties fell into the hands of defensive linemen Ben Stille and Jordan Williams. Stille dropped to the ground and showed off his best dance move – the worm, while Williams supported.

That’s the type of practice it was going to be. Here’s what we learned from the ninth day of Dolphins’ training camp.

Practice player of the day

For the second time during the offseason program, defensive lineman Christian Wilkins rocked the orange, as he was honored as the practice player of the day. On Friday, Wilkins had a number of run stops and sacks that contributed to the coaching staff’s decision.

Player participation:

Cornerback Byron Jones is still on the PUP list, so he’s unable to practice.

Center Michael Deiter is dealing with a foot injury and has missed a string of practices.

Safeties Clayton Fejedelem and Sheldrick Redwine were absent on Saturday as was punter Thomas Morstead. All three are battling undisclosed injuries.

Running backs Sony Michel and Raheem Mostert were limited participants as were linebacker Melvin Ingram and fullback Alec Ingold.

Trio of wideouts had great days
    Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Erik Ezukanma separated themselves on Saturday, as all three made a number of impressive plays. While the rookie is likely going to be the fourth receiver at the position on the depth chart, he’s looked better than that with his best play being another jump ball that he brought in for a touchdown.

Waddle caught nearly everything that came his direction. He had a toe-tapper and showed the burst to split defenders after some plays.

Hill was just his normal self, but it’s still always impressive to see him reach his top speed.

The rookie quarterback ends his streak
    Skylar Thompson had gone eight practice sessions without throwing an interception, but that streak came to an end on Saturday when he was picked off by undrafted rookie safety Verone McKinley III.

While that was a low point, it was far from a bad day for the quarterback. He completed a number of chunk plays, as he continues to prove his worth as an NFL quarterback.

No. 4 cornerback update

Noah Igbinoghene and Trill Williams are continuing to battle for the fourth spot on the cornerback depth chart, and both had ample opportunities on Saturday to showcase their abilities. Williams had a stretch in the second set of team drills where he great coverage on some of Miami’s top receivers.

Igbinoghene had a diving interception of Tagovailoa and also made a run stop at the line of scrimmage.

Dolphins work out three centers on Sunday

It’s been widely known that Connor Williams is planning to be the starting center for the Miami Dolphins when the regular season starts, but at this point, there’s not much behind him.

Last year’s starting center, Michael Deiter, is dealing with a foot injury that’s kept him out of practice, leaving Cole Banwart and Adam Pankey as the only players taking reps behind Williams in the middle.

On Sunday, the Dolphins worked out three centers – Cohl Cabral, Jake Lacina and Cole Toner, according to the NFL’s transaction wire. This follows a practice in which Pankey had a few poor snaps and while Williams has been struggling that department as well, they can’t have multiple players failing to get the ball to the quarterback.

Cabral was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Los Angeles Rams in 2020 and has bounced around to the Houston Texans, Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints since then. He has yet to play in a regular season game.

Lacina spent the spring in the USFL, playing for the New Jersey Generals. He was part of an offensive line that helped gain the most yards on the ground per game (160.6) in the league. In the NFL, Lacina was once on the Vikings, but he’s never played in a game.

Toner may be the most familiar name of the group, considering he was a fifth-round selection back in 2016 out of Harvard. Originally selected by the Arizona Cardinals, Toner spent time with the Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots during his first two seasons before finding a landing spot with the Los Angeles Chargers for three years. He spent last season with the Houston Texans and has played in 13 NFL games, starting three of them.

Notes from Day 10 of Dolphins training camp

The Miami Dolphins took the field on Sunday for their last public practice at Baptist Health Training Complex for a while, as this upcoming week will consist of private sessions and joint practices with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Sunday’s practice was led off by undrafted rookie linebacker Deandre Johnson hyping up the fans in attendance with Dolphins mascot T.D. Fans were lucky to see another exciting day from Mike McDaniel’s team.

Here’s what we learned from Miami’s tenth day of training camp.

Practice player of the day

Cornerback Xavien Howard got a chance to wear the orange practice jersey for the first time throughout minicamps, OTAs or training camp. The recognition may have been aided by Tyreek Hill’s comments after Saturday’s practice about Howard locking the wideout down in practice.

Player participation

There are a number of players dealing with various levels of injuries that still aren’t participating in practice. This list includes cornerback Byron Jones (PUP), center Michael Deiter, fullback John Lovett, defensive back Eliah Campbell, punter Thomas Morstead and safeties Clayton Fejedelem and Sheldrick Redwine.

Left tackle Terron Armstead was also not participating for rest purposes, as the team continues to be cautious with his recovery.

Linebacker Elandon Roberts was also not practicing, according to the Miami Herald’s Omar Kelly.

The quarterback was hitting deep balls early
    Wide receivers and cornerbacks going one-on-one will always be one of the most entertaining periods to watch, and early on Sunday, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa took a couple of deep shots to some of his top wideouts that ended in touchdowns.

Tagovailoa was then able to show off a bit in 11-on-11s, while some said the play was ruled out of bounds, the throw was apparently something to see.

UDFA safety makes an impact again
    On Saturday, undrafted rookie safety Verone McKinley III intercepted Skylar Thompson for the first camp interception for either player. McKinley followed that up on Sunday by intercepting Thompson again, this time making tipping it to himself, thrilling those who were in attendance.

Jason Sanders hit four of his five attempts

Snapping problems persist
    While starting center Connor Williams has been getting a lot of the attention at the positon, Miami also has Cole Banwart and Adam Pankey getting opportunities there as well. Williams has struggled to consistently get the ball with the right height and speed, but it was Pankey who botched two snaps with Teddy Bridgewater on Sunday.

With Deiter sidelined due to his foot injury, Miami is going to need to get this straightened out with all of their options because it can’t be a problem when they start playing games.

Busy weekend for me sorry guys lol. Recap, Dline is still good, Tua had his best practice on Sunday and the only mistake was an INT in a Hail Mary that the WR didn’t track, Waddle and Tyreek are crazy good, run game looks decent, TEs are non-existent so far.

Team is off today and they have joint practices with Tampa tomorrow. Going into the joint practices here’s what I’m keeping my eye on.

1) Tua of course. He’s had a strong camp and even his lows have been alright. But this Tampa defense is a monster. They won’t let plays go on in joint practices like they have so far. Worried about how most of his misses are high over the middle so far in camp. Can he keep the big plays going?

2) Oline and the run game. No idea if we see Armstead but can the Oline hold on. This Tampa defensive line isn’t the same it once was but still shows problems. From all reports AJ and Liam have looked like actual starters, but still not studs. I remember the Chicago practices really showed what this Oline was gonna look like. If they can’t hold up on the pass, can they at least open up some running lanes against a stout defense?

3) Dline has been dominating since pads came on. Again, the Bucs Oline has changed a lot but should still be good. Can Wilkins and Phillips keep up the crazy plays they’ve been putting up? Get some good tests against above average talent like Shaq Mason and Donovan Smith. Then Phillips can get some real elite reps against Wirfs.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 08-08-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast