Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Vikings Hire Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as New General Manager

KWESI ADOFO-MENSAH
    GM, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
    Jan 26, 2022, 10:43 AM ET

Vikings hired Browns VP of football operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as their new general manager.

Adofo-Mensah hasn't followed a traditional path to becoming a general manager. He has an MBA from Stanford and began his career as a Wall Street trader, before joining the 49ers in an analytics role in 2013. When Browns GM Andrew Berry spoke to The Athletic about the then 39 year old for their 40 under 40 list, he described him as super, super bright but also emphasized Adofo-Mensah's ability to communicate his insights and generate organizational buy in. Adofo-Mensah represents a significant shift in the Vikings' approach going forward, and he may be able to achieve a philosophical change without creating internal turmoil. His hiring likely signals that Minnesota's next head coach will be analytically inclined and will almost certainly be more passing-oriented than departing head coach Mike Zimmer.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    Really love this hiring.....
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Get an offensive minded head coach and get an athletic gun slinger to go against these awesome young qbs in the league. What he does at the HC/QB position will tell me a lot about if i love or hate the hiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why the Vikings hired former Browns exec Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as their new GM

Sixteen days after determining that their organization had grown stale under the leadership of Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer, the Minnesota Vikings have tapped a new man for the team’s top executive job. Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, who has swiftly climbed the NFL ranks, agreed Wednesday to become the Vikings general manager, the first of two major moves for the franchise this offseason.

Adofo-Mensah completed his second interview with the Vikings on Tuesday, went to dinner with members of the search committee that night, then signed a four-year contract on Wednesday to make him the top decision-maker for the team. As the Vikings prepare to officially welcome Adofo-Mensah with a press conference, let’s look at why the Vikings chose him, who he is and what’s next for the team.

Why Adofo-Mensah?
    Throughout this search, the Vikings made clear that they weren’t necessarily tied to the traditional route of a scout working his way up to eventually becoming an assistant general manager before taking on a head job. The selection of the 40-year-old Adofo-Mensah further solidifies that.

Adofo-Mensah graduated from Princeton (where he was a walk-on on the basketball team) with a degree in economics, then earned his master’s degree from Stanford. He worked as a day trader before entering the NFL only nine years ago.

He’s been labeled as an analytics whiz during his time in the NFL even if he had a more traditional football operations role in recent years, negotiating contracts and having input on day-to-day roster decisions. The Vikings valued that background. While they’ve been an organization willing to embrace analytics at times, previous leadership wasn’t as eager to actually implement it on Sundays. Now Adofo-Mensah brings that mindset to the top of the organization.

The Vikings also plan to keep many of the same scouts and front office members in place even with Adofo-Mensah’s arrival. The top of the organization didn’t want massive changes in the scouting department, and since that’s not Adofo-Mensah’s background, he was, according to a source, more willing to accommodate those wishes than perhaps Ryan Poles, the other GM finalist who accepted the same job with the Chicago Bears, would have been.

Adofo-Mensah also had a relationship with Vikings CEO Andrew Miller, according to a source, dating back to Miller’s time in Major League Baseball in Cleveland. There, Miller helped orchestrate an analytically inclined front office, led in part by Derek Falvey, who is currently the Twins president of baseball operations.

The move gives the Vikings a fresh, young voice at the top of the organization who is analytically inclined, but also someone who gained the respect of football lifers and is willing to lean on the scouting department.

“He brings a nice blend of both an insider and an outsider perspective to football,” Andrew Berry, the Browns general manager who hired Adofo-Mensah, said in 2020. “Probably the best part of him is just the person. He is humble, high integrity, a continuous learner with a true growth mindset. He has fantastic interpersonal and people skills.”

Who is Adofo-Mensah?
    Adofo-Mensah got his first NFL job in 2013, working as a manager in research and development for the 49ers, who became one of the most analytically driven teams. He was promoted to director in 2017.

During a trip to the scouting combine, Adofo-Mensah rode an elevator with Berry, and the two had a 15-minute conversation, which led to an ongoing relationship. When Berry was named general manager of the Browns in 2020, he hired Adofo-Mensah as his vice president of football operations.

While Adofo-Mensah’s time in the league up to that point had mostly been in analytics, Adofo-Mensah transitioned into more of a traditional front-office job in Cleveland, working on contract negotiations and day-to-day roster construction.

What’s next for the Vikings?
    While some major roster decisions loom in March, Adofo-Mensah will quickly get to work on the biggest question facing the franchise: Who will be the next head coach?

The Vikings have already interviewed eight coaching candidates, in part to appease league rules, but ownership has insisted throughout that they’ll defer to the general manager for thoughts on the next coach.

Adofo-Mensah has connections with two of the candidates the Vikings have already interviewed: 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell thanks to shared time in San Francisco.

But the search is expected to kick into high gear now that Adofo-Mensah is in place as general manager with additional interview requests going out as soon as tonight. The Vikings could have a new coach in place by the end of next week.
    https://theathletic.com/3093869/2022...-their-new-gm/
    2022 Vikings Draft:
    1: Lewis Cine S Georgia
    2: Andrew Booth Jr. CB Clemson
    2: Ed Ingram G LSU
    3: Brian Asamoah LB Oklahoma
    4: Akayleb Evans CB Missouri
    5: Esezi Otomewo DL Minnesota
    5: Ty Chandler RB UNC
    6: Vederian Lowe OT Illinois
    6: Jalen Nailor WR Michigan State
    7: Nick Muse TE South Carolina

Biggest takeaway for me from the Athletic article is that additional HC interview requests will be going out. Really eager to see who we reach out to.
    2022 Vikings Draft:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I have no issues with going more analytical. I get why some wish he had more of a football background but I don't overly care about that tbh. I think there are multiple other examples of great decision makers that never played in NFL or anything as well.

Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has ties to these THREE coaching candidates
    By Aj Mansour
    Jan 26, 2022

It's time to hit the ground running for new Minnesota Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and the first order of business is to find a new head coach to lead the team into the future.

Interviews for the vacant head coaching position are already underway but Mark Wilf said from the beginning that the new GM would have a say and make the final decision on the new head coach. So, the next thing we do is dig into Adofo-Mensah's history and figure out who he's connected to. Funny enough, you see some familiar names pop up.

Here are a few of the head coaching candidates that have ties to new Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah...

San Francisco 49ers DC, DeMeco Ryans
    Ryans and Kwesi spent time together for three seasons in San Francisco with both working their way up through the ranks over that time.

San Francisco 49ers OC, Mike McDaniel
    McDaniel remains a longshot for the job, but became a fan favorite when clips of his press conferences started going viral earlier this month. With the 49ers recent success and the pairs ties going back to their time with the 49ers, the conversation has popped up once again.

University of Michigan HC, Jim Harbaugh
    Harbaugh has emerged over the past few days as a dark horse candidate and even a favorite according to some for the job in Minnesota. Again stemming back to their mutual time in San Francisco, Harbaugh

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2022...e=local_social
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

almost ANYone but Harbaugh....PLEASE....Brad Chil....well no, Mike Ti...no....Leslie.............ok, a LOT OF PEOPLE before Harbaugh!

Besides, isn't he the antithesis of what we want- we just got rid of a run first play good defense guy...why would we hire another?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

with an Ivy league degree and a masters from Stanford, tho, one thing should definitely be true...........Kwesi is one smart dude

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    with an Ivy league degree and a masters from Stanford, tho, one thing should definitely be true...........Kwesi is one smart dude
    I like the Hire. I don't mind GMs that don't have a heavy football background. I feel they are more unbias toward certain positions or offense/defense. Vikings needed a new perspective and this is a nice first step. I am very anxious to see who our coach will be and this offseason could be something crazy compared to Speilman's typical bargain bin clearance shopping after the dust settles. Could very well be an assessment year and less action than we expect.

I'm really looking forward to the future fellas. I wish this draft had more to offer in the QB department. I'm sure there are some gems but who knows, we may stick with Kirk or look at FA.

Vikings made the hire official
    2022 Vikings Draft:

Still would've preferred Poles, but I'm coming around on this guy and I guess we will truly know who was better between the two in three years or so.
    I do like the analytics side of this, it's always good to be versatile, but it has to measured. The same as in baseball. WAR is not the be all end all. There has to be a good mix and I feel that there will be.
    VERY curious how he goes about his business with Free Agency and the Draft. Both the 49ers and Cleveland have had quality Olines for a while now, and I believe he was a part of making both of those unites, so that gives me some hope.

Cody Carpentier↗️ (@CarpentierNFL) Tweeted:
    Vikings are finalizing a deal to hire Browns’ Vice President of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensag as their next general manager, per multiple sources.

They are working diligently to add Catherine Raiche as the Assistant General Manager as well, per source.

https://twitter.com/CarpentierNFL/st...831894031?s=20

Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 01-26-2022 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Cody Carpentier↗️ (@CarpentierNFL) Tweeted:
    Vikings are finalizing a deal to hire Browns’ Vice President of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensag as their next general manager, per multiple sources.

They are working diligently to add Catherine Raiche as the Assistant General Manager as well, per source.

https://twitter.com/CarpentierNFL/st...831894031?s=20

Mods really oughta learn how to post a tweet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast