Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I agree with this statement. Does the name James Johnson or Divante Jones bring more confidence to you? Just for the record, James Johnson is a Native American and Divante Jones is a white guy. Both are college graduates and are both in similar fields.
    This said, I still say that to publicly announce that you are going to fill a position with a certain demographic group is not a good idea. You eliminate entirely too many very qualified people by doing so.
    I don’t disagree. I just also think the way in which we normally fill positions does the same.

Some of us see actual people, not skin colors and sexes.
    But this Biden's thing with his appointment just bugs you. You know no one says they are going to find a white male for the position because it is an ingrained assumption that will be one. Never a question of qualifications, hell no one gave a crap. The announcement is passed over to get to the sports page in the newspaper. The only stats we might care about the position is it a democratic appointed one or republican.

Then you have to wonder why all the discourse over a black female being sought? Is it a knee-jerked reaction from being against the grain? Political? I just hate Biden? The nominees have impeccable reputations and careers, no old accusation of sexual misconduct that both Kavanaugh and Thomas or ties to big business like a few in the past had.

It can't be discrimination? Against who? There are still white guys on the Supreme Court, soon to be four women, three minorities, and one non-christian member. It reflects our diverse society, they all have long experience in the judicial system.

Just shut up and leave it alone. Historically, the first non-white getting a position sparks bitter conservation. Once done, people move on, in some cases cheer the move, like baseball, and a decade later we will applaud her/our, as a nation, accomplishment.
    Last edited by WES445; 01-28-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    But this Biden's thing with his appointment just bugs you. You know no one says they are going to find a white male for the position because it is an ingrained assumption that will be one. Never a question of qualifications, hell no one gave a crap. The announcement is passed over to get to the sports page in the newspaper. The only stats we might care about the position is it a democratic appointed one or republican.

Then you have to wonder why all the discourse over a black female being sought? Is it a knee-jerked reaction from being against the grain? Political? I just hate Biden? The nominees have impeccable reputations and careers, no old accusation of sexual misconduct that both Kavanaugh and Thomas or ties to big business like a few in the past had.

It can't be discrimination? Against who? There are still white guys on the Supreme Court, soon to be four women, three minorities, and one non-christian member. It reflects our diverse society, they all have long experience in the judicial system.

Just shut up and leave alone.
    It does not bug me that he is following through on a campaign promise. I do think that he has boxed himself in by making such a statement. I am sure that he, and his advisors, will come up with an acceptable candidate for the position. As I said, I read a bit about his potential top choices and am sure that either of them will be adequate.
    Publicly stating that you are going to select a candidate from a small sub-set of available candidates eliminates more qualified candidates than it includes.

It does not bug me that he is following through on a campaign promise. I do think that he has boxed himself in by making such a statement. I am sure that he, and his advisors, will come up with an acceptable candidate for the position. As I said, I read a bit about his potential top choices and am sure that either of them will be adequate.

Publicly stating that you are going to select a candidate from a small sub-set of available candidates eliminates more qualified candidates than it includes.
    Nice job in (a) damning with faint praise (see bold) and (b) undercutting the sincerity in your opening paragraph with your closing paragraph.

You taking lessons from Special?

He said what he said (and WhoTF knows, maybe even for the right reasons).

Faint praise? Not at all. My point was, is and always will be that to exclude potential candidates for a job just to select a person from a subset of all qualified candidates is never a good idea. He will come up with an adequate replacement for Mr. Justice Breyer, I have no doubt about that.
    Excluding qualified candidates from consideration due to demographic characteristics is not something that should be done.

It has been already established that qualifications for this position don't exist and you haven't proved otherwise. Considering some of the troublesome backgrounds of some of the judges there, I tend to agree.

Being a part of a sub-set I will remind you of another time when people didn't think qualified people exist in a subset and they were quite vocal in their opinion. Must maintain the quality of the sport. Baseball. And here we in the sub-set and white owners had to jump thru hoops to find a black candidate to break into baseball because we are the sub-set and everyone knows nothing of worth or up to standard comes from sub-setters. Jackie Robinson had to be the very best the Negro league had to offer, better than the white minor league and most white pros. Not a restriction for the average major setter entering the league. And not only that, but he must be squeaky clean not like some of the big-setter who were racist, boozer, or people of low reputation.

You don't have to worry about the qualifications of any black woman they place on the Supreme Court, we got this, we have been here before with your attitude. She will be a super n*****. Way far better than that clown Thomas, the republicans place there and near the top of her game. We got this. We have been trained well by history.

And you are on the wrong side of it.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

I love how you use sub-set instead of saying the black females' judge pool. sneaky

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    don't be ignorant.

I would gladly support a black Conservative judge, but we all known damn well there is no chance that Joe Biden would do that.
    You figure that out all by yourself?

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse.”" - @SarahLongwell25

It has been already established that qualifications for this position don't exist and you haven't proved otherwise. Considering some of the troublesome backgrounds of some of the judges there, I tend to agree.

Being a part of a sub-set I will remind you of another time when people didn't think qualified people exist in a subset and they were quite vocal in their opinion. Must maintain the quality of the sport. Baseball. And here we in the sub-set and white owners had to jump thru hoops to find a black candidate to break into baseball because we are the sub-set and everyone knows nothing of worth or up to standard comes from sub-setters. Jackie Robinson had to be the very best the Negro league had to offer, better than the white minor league and most white pros. Not a restriction for the average major setter entering the league. And not only that, but he must be squeaky clean not like some of the big-setter who were racist, boozer, or people of low reputation.

You don't have to worry about the qualifications of any black woman they place on the Supreme Court, we got this, we have been here before with your attitude. She will be a super n*****. Way far better than that clown Thomas, the republicans place there and near the top of her game. We got this. We have been trained well by history.

And you are on the wrong side of it.
    How am I possibly on the wrong side of this? My point remains that to concentrate your search for a qualified candidate to a certain subset of all available candidates does not always yield the best choice.
    I am sure that Biden and his advisors will find an acceptable candidate to replace Mr. Justice Breyer, but boxing ones' self in is never the best idea.

It was all a reply to what you said. You have said that making demographic quotas is more important than finding the most qualified person for a job.
    No, I didn't. Read slower or something. Maybe try sounding out the words you don't understand.

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse.”" - @SarahLongwell25

I love how you use sub-set instead of saying the black females' judge pool. sneaky
    There is a set of qualified jurists in this country. Limiting the choice to black women is limiting the choice to a subset.

How am I possibly on the wrong side of this? My point remains that to concentrate your search for a qualified candidate to a certain subset of all available candidates does not always yield the best choice.
    I am sure that Biden and his advisors will find an acceptable candidate to replace Mr. Justice Breyer, but boxing ones' self in is never the best idea.
    Because you keep acting like there's a "best choice," and there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    No, I didn't. Read slower or something. Maybe try sounding out the words you don't understand.
    Nate, this is a very tiresome quality that you possess. It is why it is impossible to carry on a legitimate discussion with you. You make statements and then deny doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Because you keep acting like there's a "best choice," and there isn't.
    Again, I will ask how limiting one's choice to a certain subset of qualified candidates for anything is going to guarantee that you will choose the best candidate for any job.

Nate, this is a very tiresome quality that you possess. It is why it is impossible to carry on a legitimate discussion with you. You make statements and then deny doing so.
    You make up things I didn't say and then expect me to defend things I never actually said.

You asked what makes your statement meaningless, and I explained why the idea of "the best candidate" is meaningless for something like this, and now here you are claiming I "said that making demographic quotas is more important than finding the most qualified person for a job."

THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT THERE IS NO "MOST QUALIFIED PERSON FOR THE JOB."

You cannot claim to want to have a "legitimate discussion" when you're so dedicated to constructing straw men like this.

Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast