Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 1370
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    My issue is Biden coming out and saying before the election that heís electing a black minority woman without even considering other races
    I don't think he should have explicitly said that's what he was going to do. But I also think that had he not said it and simply picked a black female justice everyone complaining now would still be saying the person was only chosen because of their race and gender.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Personally I think Daniel Cameron or Carlos MuŮiz would do a great job.
    Let's break this down for a moment.

    Daniel Cameron did not graduate from an Ivy League or T14 (or even T50) Law School. He has literally never been a judge a day in his life. He only clerked with a U.S. District Court judge and not a Supreme Court (or even Kentucky Supreme Court) judge.

    Compare that record to Ketanji Brown Jackson, who graduated from Harvard Law School, clerked for the Supreme Court (Justice Breyer), and has served as a Judge, first at the District Court level, then on the Appellate level, since 2013.

    or Leondra Kruger, who graduated from Yale Law School, clerked for Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, and has served on the California Supreme Court since 2015.

    If we are talking qualifications, there is very little argument that Cameron's is as qualified as Jackson or Kruger. The only reason I can conjure that you think Cameron would do a great job is that he is a conservative who has close ties to McConnell and would therefore rule in ways you want him to.

    So stop talking about qualifications and how a black female is not the best qualified when you float a clearly less qualified individual for the sole reason you believe they will rule how you like.
    Last edited by valade16; 01-27-2022 at 07:58 PM.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    My issue is Biden coming out and saying before the election that heís electing a black minority woman without even considering other races


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure it is.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Making this outrage even more of a farce, President Reagan literally said he would put a woman on the Supreme Court:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/u...ack-woman.html

    At a news conference in October of that year ó just weeks before Election Day ó Reagan promised that, if elected, he would name the first woman to sit on the Supreme Court.


    I guess Reagan was a sexist right? I guess Bush Sr was a racist and a sexist for removing white males from consideration.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    104,483
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Let's break this down for a moment.

    Daniel Cameron did not graduate from an Ivy League or T14 (or even T50) Law School. He has literally never been a judge a day in his life. He only clerked with a U.S. District Court judge and not a Supreme Court (or even Kentucky Supreme Court) judge.

    Compare that record to Ketanji Brown Jackson, who graduated from Harvard Law School, clerked for the Supreme Court (Justice Breyer), and has served as a Judge, first at the District Court level, then on the Appellate level, since 2013.

    or Leondra Kruger, who graduated from Yale Law School, clerked for Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, and has served on the California Supreme Court since 2015.

    If we are talking qualifications, there is very little argument that Cameron's is as qualified as Jackson or Kruger. The only reason I can conjure that you think Cameron would do a great job is that he is a conservative who has close ties to McConnell and would therefore rule in ways you want him to.

    So stop talking about qualifications and how a black female is not the best qualified when you float a clearly less qualified individual for the sole reason you believe they will rule how you like.
    Maybe if Biden gets to appointee another Supreme Court nominee he can pick someone else because there's no way that Daniel Cameron would be appointed. His problem isn't white or black, it's conservative not liberal.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move fasterÖbut tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    10,324
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Making this outrage even more of a farce, President Reagan literally said he would put a woman on the Supreme Court:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/u...ack-woman.html

    At a news conference in October of that year ó just weeks before Election Day ó Reagan promised that, if elected, he would name the first woman to sit on the Supreme Court.


    I guess Reagan was a sexist right? I guess Bush Sr was a racist and a sexist for removing white males from consideration.
    Yeah, but he was God.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yep. You cannot complain they arenít selecting the most qualified candidates and then defend candidates like Thomas or ACB, the former having one year of judicial experience and the latter having three years.

    What made them the best candidates accomplishment-wise?
    You forgot Elena Kagan who had literally no judicial experience.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Let's break this down for a moment.

    Daniel Cameron did not graduate from an Ivy League or T14 (or even T50) Law School. He has literally never been a judge a day in his life. He only clerked with a U.S. District Court judge and not a Supreme Court (or even Kentucky Supreme Court) judge.

    Compare that record to Ketanji Brown Jackson, who graduated from Harvard Law School, clerked for the Supreme Court (Justice Breyer), and has served as a Judge, first at the District Court level, then on the Appellate level, since 2013.

    or Leondra Kruger, who graduated from Yale Law School, clerked for Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, and has served on the California Supreme Court since 2015.

    If we are talking qualifications, there is very little argument that Cameron's is as qualified as Jackson or Kruger. The only reason I can conjure that you think Cameron would do a great job is that he is a conservative who has close ties to McConnell and would therefore rule in ways you want him to.

    So stop talking about qualifications and how a black female is not the best qualified when you float a clearly less qualified individual for the sole reason you believe they will rule how you like.
    First of all, not going to an Ivy League shouldn't be disqualifying at all, I think WAY too many of our highest positions in govt and society being filled by people who went to the same 8-10 schools is a real problem in our society. Same with saying someone who didn't clerk for a SCOTUS judge isn't qualified. I don't think that should expel you from consideration. We have a real class problem and this type of thinking satisfies those lines.

    That's MY POINT, once we state what we think makes someone qualified we can look at candidates like Cameron etc, and decide if they meet the criteria, if the only criteria be they're from Demographic X, well then how do we know that they're judicially qualified, btw I like how you looked at Cameron and not Munoiz.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    You forgot Elena Kagan who had literally no judicial experience.
    No, I didnít. I said you then defend. You obviously are not defending her. Ironically you did say a man who also has no judicial experience would be a good pick, so apparently that isnít a criteria for you. Unless itís a double standard.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I know this wonít (and I think couldnít) happen. But could Biden appointee the Republicans on the SCOTUS to lower courts and have them confirmed?
    Yeah, he could nominate whoever he wants, but if he were to nominate Ted Cruz, I doubt that Democrats would confirm.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,042
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    No, I didnít. I said you then defend. You obviously are not defending her. Ironically you did say a man who also has no judicial experience would be a good pick, so apparently that isnít a criteria for you. Unless itís a double standard.
    It would be my preferred pick because he's like 35 or 36. But no, he's probably not qualified unlike Munoiz, who you didn't bother bringing up.

    BTW since Cameron isn't qualified because of his lack of judicial experience, would that be true about Kagan as well in your opinion?

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    First of all, not going to an Ivy League shouldn't be disqualifying at all, I think WAY to much of our highest positions in govt and society being filled by people who went to the same 8-10 schools is a real problem in our society.

    That's MY POINT, once we state what we think makes someone qualified we can look at candidates like Cameron etc, and decide if they meet the criteria, if the only criteria be they're from Demographic X, well then how do we know that they're judicially qualified, btw I like how you looked at Cameron and not Munoiz.
    I looked at Cameron to point out how relatively unqualified he is and yet you still considered him a good candidate.

    But he isnít only looking at the criteria of Demographic X. He is looking at criteria that would make a good Justice from those who are Demographic X. To quote Chris Rock ďBlack people didnít vote for Barack Obama because he was black. They voted for him because heís black and qualified. We werenít voting for Flava FlavĒ

    So let me ask you, what makes Cameron a qualified candidate in your mind? What makes him the best qualified candidate? What makes him more qualified than either of the two I named?
    Last edited by valade16; 01-27-2022 at 10:28 PM.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    It would be my preferred pick because he's like 35 or 36. But no, he's probably not qualified unlike Munoiz, who you didn't bother bringing up.

    BTW since Cameron isn't qualified because of his lack of judicial experience, would that be true about Kagan as well in your opinion?
    Wait: so for all your guysí talk of Dbroncos faulty logic in picking a younger nominee, that is literally your preferred reason?

    I never said a lack of judicial experience makes them unqualified. You said BEST qualified. ACB and Thomas were qualified, as was Kagan. But qualified and best qualified are two different things.

    But tell me: how is picking someone because of their young age any different than picking someone because of their gender or race? Age is as arbitrary reason as all the rest.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,918
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I don't think he should have explicitly said that's what he was going to do. But I also think that had he not said it and simply picked a black female justice everyone complaining now would still be saying the person was only chosen because of their race and gender.
    I mean he said it to earn votes before the election from the black community


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    I mean he said it to earn votes before the election from the black community
    And Reagan promised to nominate a female Justice to earn votes from women before the election. Pandering is nothing new.

Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •