Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Change OT Rule For Playoffs?

It's the talk of the day. I mean if you're a Bills fan. I hear both sides of the argument. The rule is a rule if you don't like it, play better defense. Don't give up a lead with 13 seconds left. I also see it's a rule and has been put in place for a while now and everyone knows the deal. With that said, should the NFL change the OT rule for playoffs only going forward and keep it the same for regular season? Change the rule completely? Keep it the way it is? And yes McNabb.... I can still remember his comment to this day; there are ties in the NFL. Understand what I'm saying. I know there are ties in the regular season and in playoffs no games can end in a tie. My thought is changing the rule where the first team goes down and scores first and the other team gets a chance too. I also know the rule where the first team to go down and scores a FG then the other team gets a chance, and they can end the game with a TD of their own. A FG for both sides then it becomes sudden death. I get that. Again play better defense because you give up a td on the first drive of overtime the game is over. The rule is a rule. You have a job to do on the field with a win or go home game on the line. Don't blame the rule. Blame the outcome and why it got to OT in the first place.
    Last edited by GoBirds20; 01-24-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Absolutely needs to be changed. This whole idea of just playing better defense is just crazy.

Why let a random coin toss play a part of the game?
    If your team is in going into OT and you are watching the coin toss and cheering that you won it then there’s something really wrong.
    Team defenses are totally gassed at that point and are at a big disadvantage.
    Plus imagine the defense was on the field for the last 5 minutes of the game then to no fault of the team have to go back out there for back to back defensives drives?
    It’s really a no brainer. I have never heard a logical reason for keeping it the way it is.

There needs to be a change.

I know the talk is they shouldn’t have kicked it in the end zone and the defense just had to make a stop in regulation but the point is both teams have the entire 60 minutes. What happens in regulation should not matter. OT is when regulation ends in a tie regardless of what happened.

The idea that Buffalos defense was so good it should’ve been able to stop in OT is bunk as well.

There needs to be at least one offensive and defensive position for each team unless the initial defense makes a defensive touchdown.

That is the minimum requirement.

I like the idea of college rules but I’d be ok with it just being normal kick offs so all aspects of the game can be utilized.

I can’t think of any, non-fluid, sport that says a game can end without an equal shot for both teams. Baseball would be the other example and there’s always two halves to an inning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

No. They already made a sensible change when they said a FG couldn't win it. We don't need 5-hour games because of inept defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    No. They already made a sensible change when they said a FG couldn't win it. We don't need 5-hour games because of inept defenses.
    I agree with this.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...425155076?s=21

Data shows a coin toss wins playoff OT games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think both teams should posses the football in regular season OT, but especially in playoff OT
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2021 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    Well KCs defense was pretty inept all regulation.

They got lucky KC won the toss.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

It has NEVER been logical to not guarantee both offenses get a shot. It would basically NEVER result in 5 hour games....and ways to prevent it even if thought possible.

Simple- each team gets the ball once, if still tied, sudden death...you can still say coin flip benefits one team, but if the other gets scored on back to back, bu bye, game over.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...425155076?s=21

Data shows a coin toss wins playoff OT games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did they change the rule so that you're not required to actually score the TD anymore, or what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    It has NEVER been logical to not guarantee both offenses get a shot. It would basically NEVER result in 5 hour games....and ways to prevent it even if thought possible.

Simple- each team gets the ball once, if still tied, sudden death...you can still say coin flip benefits one team, but if the other gets scored on back to back, bu bye, game over.
    I think they should change baseball rules so that the visiting team can walk it off in the top of the 10th.

Im fine with sudden death OT. Defense wins championships. Wanna win the game? Get a stop. You had 60 minutes to win the game and you didnt do it. Im tired if this “they didnt get an opportunity.” When GB lost in OT to Seattle nobody complained that they shouldve gotten a chance to get the ball.

Yeah, OT rules are harsh. Its by design. You couldnt get it done in 60 minutes, now the whole game could hinge on one play.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    Im fine with sudden death OT. Defense wins championships. Wanna win the game? Get a stop. You had 60 minutes to win the game and you didnt do it. Im tired if this “they didnt get an opportunity.” When GB lost in OT to Seattle nobody complained that they shouldve gotten a chance to get the ball.

Yeah, OT rules are harsh. Its by design. You couldnt get it done in 60 minutes, now the whole game could hinge on one play.
    Ok but why should a coin toss decide it?

How many times do you think legit defensive teams would kick over receive in OT? Especially the playoffs?

And what do you mean they couldn’t get in done in 60 minutes? Neither could the other team. Except now instead of 60 minutes of both offensives vs both defensives you’re going to have one offensive only a large percentage of the time. It’s not just harsh, it’s downright one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Ok but why should a coin toss decide it?

How many times do you think legit defensive teams would kick over receive in OT? Especially the playoffs?

And what do you mean they couldn’t get in done in 60 minutes? Neither could the other team. Except now instead of 60 minutes of both offensives vs both defensives you’re going to have one offensive only a large percentage of the time. It’s not just harsh, it’s downright one sided.
    Listen, this knee jerk reaction by every after Buffalo blew it is absurd. They had the lead with 13 seconds left and they let KC drive the field. Now everyone wants to blame the OT rules. It's stupid. And so is this "why should a coin toss decide it" nonsense. No, the defense decides it by getting a stop or not. This line of reasoning is a loser's mentality, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishguy85 View Post
    Listen, this knee jerk reaction by every after Buffalo blew it is absurd. They had the lead with 13 seconds left and they let KC drive the field. Now everyone wants to blame the OT rules. It's stupid. And so is this "why should a coin toss decide it" nonsense. No, the defense decides it by getting a stop or not. This line of reasoning is a loser's mentality, plain and simple.
    Would you be ok if extra innings in baseball ended if a run was scored in the top of the 10th?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast