Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trust in institutions globally is at all time low.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/w...201950461.html
    There is a lot of focus here on the decline in media, *fake news* and I think rightfully so, but this is a trend that's happening around the world, not just domestically.

From the Article
    Within the United States, a clear political chasm between Democrats and Republicans exists. The Edelman Trust Index, which measures the average percent trust in NGOs, business, government and media, was 55 for Democrats and 35 for Republicans.

Although a deeply skeptical public was a consistent theme in most countries, with 59% of respondents answering that they tend to distrust information until they see evidence of trustworthiness, citizens of some countries reported lower levels of trust than others.

Democracies across the world experienced a rise in distrust in 2021. The five countries with the largest declines in their Trust Indices were Germany (-7), Australia (-6), The Netherlands (-6), South Korea (-5), and the United States (-5). Significantly, the gap in trust between high-income and low-income earners had widened to 15 points, up from 6 points in 2012.
    The last sentence really stands out to me because it goes along with what's being talked about at Davos for the last few years.

Once people realized that attacking the scientists that research things and the journalists that investigate and report on things was an effective strategy, we were in trouble.

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse.”" - @SarahLongwell25

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Once people realized that attacking the scientists that research things and the journalists that investigate and report on things was an effective strategy, we were in trouble.
    This isn't even new.

Here's an article (from CNN so I can't vouch for the trustworthiness) from 2017, it's been a problem and it's getting worse.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/busin...vos/index.html

We've been seeing a constant drop in trust for our institutions since like 2008 when the financial crisis hit.

I don't recall saying it was new.

Now CNN wants us to believe a place exists called Switzerland? Will their lies never end?

"I was disagreeing with a friend about politics last night. I got so annoyed that I bear-sprayed him and beat him with a flagpole. I was surprised when he objected since we were obviously engaging in legitimate political discourse.”" - @SarahLongwell25

Also, have we considered that MAYBE the loss of trust is in part due to the actions of the institutions themselves.

Yeah, it's definitely not people deliberately spreading misinformation. Not that you know what that's like, right?

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely not people deliberately spreading misinformation. Not that you know what that's like, right?
    Yeah, it's all my fault, woops I singlehandedly ruined trust in global institutions since 08. My-B dogg.

An uptick in right-wing and often corrupted governments in Israel, Turkey, Modi in India, and even communist countries are settling into rulers for life.

Right-wing nationalism and racial identity groups are on the rise in Europe where Putin has a fan base, and Greece has a nazi party. So we aren't the only ones who are facing a trust problem in government that leads to people searching for answers in all the wrong places, like Rep. Greene's "America divorce" spew.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

The twenties are going to be very interesting for us and the world.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Also, have we considered that MAYBE the loss of trust is in part due to the actions of the institutions themselves.
    So, what do we do about it? It isn't because I disagree with you that I asked. I haven't trusted the government since the sixties.

That is the 64 million dollar question. How do you repair a trust that has been broken or was never there, ie life time non-voters?
    Last edited by WES445; 01-24-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    I haven't trusted the government since the sixties.
    Ah yes, the good, old days — when some folks actually distrusted the government for the right reasons.

I wonder if this lack of trust in institutions corresponds to the creation of any sort of media arm meant to be the apparatus of any particular political party. Not pointing the flashlight at anyone who used to be Richard Nixon's media guy or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move faster…but tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Ah yes, the good, old days — when some folks actually distrusted the government for the right reasons.
    Or at least their eyes didn't glaze over when their favorite politicians spoke. I don't think our parents, depression age kids, peers trusted the government all that much. If you think BLM protested a lot, take it a look at the thirties. They definitely had a problem with government institutions, plus you had all those filthy leftists running around.

The point is people always had distrust in politics and its institutions which is why used car dealers rank higher than politicians year in and year old. People support corrupt politicians because he is their crook. It is only more pronounced now with all the economical and health problems we are having. This country is stressed out and no answers are coming out of DC, not even a life raft. If everyone was doing well, they would not care and live with a messed-up government.

We have to be careful of political grifters who feed the fire of mistrust for their own personal or zealot reasons and not give creditable solutions. I am not talking about social grievances but talk of disunity because of our problems. Just fix the problems instead of junking the whole nation.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    So, what do we do about it? It isn't because I disagree with you that I asked. I haven't trusted the government since the sixties.

That is the 64 million dollar question. How do you repair a trust that has been broken or was never there, ie life time non-voters?
    Honestly, transparency, but the thing is, it's not just the govt, it's all elite institutions, media, business, universities.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I wonder if this lack of trust in institutions corresponds to the creation of any sort of media arm meant to be the apparatus of any particular political party. Not pointing the flashlight at anyone who used to be Richard Nixon's media guy or anything.
    That doesn't explain the lack of trust around the global, What I'm talking about is a global problem that really began gaining steam around 08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast