Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2022

Offseason 2022

New offseason new thread, any off season chatter can be put here.

I actually wont be surprised if Rodgers retires. We cant afford to keep the team together and with the covid cap reduction I dont think anyone rodgers would want to play for can afford him either.

I think they blow it up and start over. Smiths gone, davante maybe a sign and trade, may as well trade bakh.

Ideally Iíd like to trade Rodgers and get some assets vs him just retiring. I honestly feel like he still wants to play. We need to get rid of our bad contracts, suck *** for a year or two and rebuild.

It all comes down to Rodgers to be honest. Our cap situation isn't good, but it's manageable. But to make it manageable, guys need to be willing to restricture, and mainly Rodgers. He needs to be willing to add years to his deal. If we extend Rodgers 4 more years, we can make his cap hit much more manageable. Extendimf Jaire also can make his number more manageable.

A few guys will need to be gone. One KD both smith's will be gone and if one stays hell need to restructure. Turner an/or Amos will be gone or restructured. It wouldn't be crazy difficult to run it back another year or two if we want to, but Rodgers has to commit to it.

The cap thing seems to not mean much to some but others itís a hard wall. With how conservative gb is Iíd expect us the latter. I mean the saints gave Hill a completely meaningless bs contract that has all years voidable. If they want to stop paying him they will.

Itís unreal.

We need to get to work and make some cap magic happen. I am sure there would be some players willing to do that. Extending Rodgers would do that. Thatís a huge savings in cap. Both smiths probably not back.

To be fair, we've pushing pretty hard at the cap lately. So to say we haven't kicked the can down the road isn't neccesarily true. The offseason we signed the Smith's, Turner and Amos was essentially an all in move and those contracts were always structured to be a pain right now to either be cut or redone.

And we haven't done it in the past but we haven't been this close to Rodgers retirement ages. Sure, Favre was similar, but the team had a ton of confidence in Rodgers. There was a quote from Tom Clement when the Packers staff had to coach the Pro Bowl after losing the NFC Champ game before Favre retired how they were watching practice and commenting about how Rodgers was better than most the Pro Bowlers they had. So they had a ton of confidence in Rodgers.

I dont think that's the case with Love. I'm not sure they don't like Love, but unless you're confident he's a yearly Pro Bowl type guy, it makes a ton of sense to make that push now if 12 is willing to join in.

Iím not saying itís not doable, I just donít know how long they can keep doing this. They canít do anything to get better this offseason as a matter of fact theyíll have to take a step back either way. I just donít see Rodgers being on board with that.

Both smiths gone. As said above probably Amos gone. So the defense takes a step back that we probably canít afford. Even with that, we still probably canít afford Campbell. Thatís another big blow.

Can we actually afford Adams? I still say bakh needs to go. The way weíve moved OL pieces around and the fact that we had to go a full year without him and essentially achieved the same result, heís an overpriced luxury that we donít need.

Either way, weíve been pushing money out the past couple years, going all in more than some around here might want to admit. Yeah, we didnít sell our souls to the devil to get another wr, and thatís all that counts to a couple people here. I just donít know how long we can keep doing this. If the FO has any confidence at all that Love could be the guy, itís better to rip the bandaid off now and get on with it. Otherwise, we do this a couple more years and the cut and gut will just be worse and take longer to recover from.

And the more I think about it, itís probably time for Rodgers to go. We can blame STís plenty. But the bottom line is Rodgers put up 10 points. 17 points would have won it. It wasnít a big ask. Further, Iíll just remind everyone that he said on draft day that he wasnít as disappointed about not being drafted by SF as they would be that they didnít pick him. 0-4 against them in the playoffs, Iím not so sure thatís true.

Sounds like Hackett is the favorite for the Broncos job.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Sounds like Hackett is the favorite for the Broncos job.
    Best of luck to him. Elway is hopeless. Other than lucking into Manning he hasnt done a whole lot right.

I hope Hackett doesn't take it. not for anything other than this whole offseason will be "Rodgers is going to Denver" because Rodgers said he wants to stay with Hackett

Idk I think both GB and Rodgers are smart enough to know a clear decision behooves both sides, right or wrong. I don't think it's going to be a whole offseason thing. Both the Packers and the new team will likely need to do a fair amount of maneuvering to maximize the team around him that there's no benefit to waiting it out. I think by the start of FA we'll know our answer on 12.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Idk I think both GB and Rodgers are smart enough to know a clear decision behooves both sides, right or wrong. I don't think it's going to be a whole offseason thing. Both the Packers and the new team will likely need to do a fair amount of maneuvering to maximize the team around him that there's no benefit to waiting it out. I think by the start of FA we'll know our answer on 12.

I agree. I think theres probably somewhat of a plan in place by the FO on what theyre able to do. Its just a matter of pit hing Rodgers and finding out if hes in or not.

theres no doubt about they are gonna make a decision early but, if the decision is going to be to keep Rodgers, you know just as well as I do its going to be headline news for all season, "Rodgers to Broncos"

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    theres no doubt about they are gonna make a decision early but, if the decision is going to be to keep Rodgers, you know just as well as I do its going to be headline news for all season, "Rodgers to Broncos"
    I dunno that I believe that. Sure, some media outlet will probably drum that up just to have something to talk about, but I think weíll know very early if were trading Rodgers or heís back. I dont think theres going to be a whole lot of secrecy about it. Too many eyes and ears on this for anybody to try and lie and say hes part of the plan if the real intention is to trade him.

I the hard part about the cap is that we are 40 some million over before signing Adams. Any path to keeping Rodgers includes Adams which really means we need to cut like 60 plus million. To do that it seems almost impossible to keep Aaron happy with the amount of cuts that would be needed. I am sure we could restructure a ton of players but then we will be so far down the cap problems in years to come I am not sure it would be logical. If we lose Rodgers I would suggest we trade Adams, Aaron Jones and maybe even Bahk to fully remake the offense around AJ Dillon and a more power run game then draft a couple deep threats for play-action.

What would you guess those guys trade value would be?
    Rodgers= 2 firsts and 2 3rds, maybe another player. Denver for 2 1st, 2 3rds, and Drew Lock
    Adams=1st or an assortment of 2nd and 3rd rounders. Giants for there 2nd, 3rd, a conditional 1 next year
    Jones= 2nd or assortment of other picks/players. Miami for 2nd and Myles Gaskin
    Bahk=??? I would have said 2 1st before missing the year. Maybe a 1st and a conditional pick. Cincy for 1st, 3rd, and conditional 1st next year

We would have more than enough picks to re-work the offense and then find a way to fix the cap. I get that there might be riots in the streets if we do all of that in one offseason but no way Adams or Bahk will have much if any trade value next year after a year with Love.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast