Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If you think UBI is still anything more than a fringe idea, you arenít paying attention. We got payments to parents as part of Bidenís legislation and then Republicans killed it. Joe Manchin was instrumental to that death. He said that people were using that money for drugs rather than food like they actually were.
    Simply because it hasn't become a permanent fixture in the law, doesn't mean it's not a mainstream idea. M4A (Bernies thing) is mainstream, we don't have it (and maybe never will) but it's now a permanent fixture in American political discussion, particularly around medical care.

As far as UBI is concerned, it went from fringe idea in the summer of 2019 to heterodox idea being discussed broadly, but not taken too seriously, to one time $1200 stimulus checks, in April of 2020, to another $600 in November/December of 2020, to another $1200 (which was somehow $1800 and all counts for the current guy, even though 600 was done by the previous guy) to recurring child payments that lasted for over a year, and are being negotiated for more.

Yeah, that's all Yang's doing the idea of UBI is now mainstream.
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 01-23-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Simply because it hasn't become a permanent fixture in the law, doesn't mean it's not a mainstream idea. M4A (Bernies thing) is mainstream, we don't have it (and maybe never will) but it's now a permanent fixture in American political discussion, particularly around medical care.

As far as UBI is concerned, it went from fringe idea in the summer of 2019 to heterodox idea being discussed broadly, but not taken too seriously, to one time $1200 stimulus checks, in April of 2020, to another $600 in November/December of 2020, to another $1200 (which was somehow $1800 and all counts for the current guy, even though 600 was done by the previous guy) to recurring child payments that lasted for over a year, and are being negotiated for more.

Poor, Donnie.

Neither of those things will sniff law unless Democrats get a super majority again. The pandemic response brought a lot of abnormal things.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Poor, Donnie.
    I just never understood the math behind it, $600 get's passed by congress during Trump's admin, his name is on the ****ing check, but Biden doesn't need to send out $1800 checks because...akshualy...that $600 was from Biden somehow.

Cool story. I don't care which president's name the checks were attached to, they were still a pittance.

With ranked-choice voting, Alaska and Maine are the only two states implementing any substantive attempts at actual voting reform (at least Alaska, Washington, California, and Nebraska also have restructured primary systems).

I just never understood the math behind it, $600 get's passed by congress during Trump's admin, his name is on the ****ing check, but Biden doesn't need to send out $1800 checks because...akshualy...that $600 was from Biden somehow.
    I got direct deposit so nobody's name was on any of the three "checks". But I did get some big glowing letter from Trump when they sent the money out and a modest explanation of why I was getting the money under Biden.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

The additional money over and above unemployment benefits was a big mistake and the country is still paying the price for doing it. Biden admitted that it was a good thing in that it was serving to RAISE wages for people since owners had to pay much more to get anyone to leave the comfort of not working to go out and take a job. And some people still haven't gone back to work.

I have to laugh when Biden and the stupes in his administration talk about the economic problems as a "supply" problem yet they all run away from the reality that a lot of the problem is that too many people LEFT the workforce because the government started printing money for them to stay him and there aren't enough people to do the jobs themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    The additional money over and above unemployment benefits was a big mistake and the country is still paying the price for doing it. Biden admitted that it was a good thing in that it was serving to RAISE wages for people since owners had to pay much more to get anyone to leave the comfort of not working to go out and take a job. And some people still haven't gone back to work.

I have to laugh when Biden and the stupes in his administration talk about the economic problems as a "supply" problem yet they all run away from the reality that a lot of the problem is that too many people LEFT the workforce because the government started printing money for them to stay him and there aren't enough people to do the jobs themselves.
    I like how you act like people are still coasting high as a kite on that extra little bit of money that they haven't gone back to work. Our their bills being paid with magic money that is no longer authorized and thus non-existent?
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Cool story. I don't care which president's name the checks were attached to, they were still a pittance.
    So they were a pittance from Biden then? Biden argued that he needed to give less than he actually promised because that previous 600 that happened before he took office was his all along.

Neither of those things will sniff law unless Democrats get a super majority again. The pandemic response brought a lot of abnormal things.
    There actually are a lot of Republicans like Romney who are open to making the child tax credit permanent (not in the exact same form as the one we had, but similar) they just don't want to give Biden the win.

My point remains though, Andrew Yang turned a fringe idea into a mainstream one in 2 years. So this idea that he's an irrelevant loser and not as cool as the people casting stones at him from the comfort of their lazy boys (on a dying sports forum) is ****ing stupid.

I got direct deposit so nobody's name was on any of the three "checks". But I did get some big glowing letter from Trump when they sent the money out and a modest explanation of why I was getting the money under Biden.
    I did not, I got all 3 checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    With ranked-choice voting, Alaska and Maine are the only two states implementing any substantive attempts at actual voting reform (at least Alaska, Washington, California, and Nebraska also have restructured primary systems).
    New Hampshire is looking to restructure their system as well.

There actually are a lot of Republicans like Romney who are open to making the child tax credit permanent (not in the exact same form as the one we had, but similar) they just don't want to give Biden the win.

My point remains though, Andrew Yang turned a fringe idea into a mainstream one in 2 years. So this idea that he's an irrelevant loser and not as cool as the people casting stones at him from the comfort of their lazy boys (on a dying sports forum) is ****ing stupid.
    Romney doesnít do anything. Letís be clear on that.

So they were a pittance from Biden then? Biden argued that he needed to give less than he actually promised because that previous 600 that happened before he took office was his all along.
    What part of "I don't care which president's name the checks were attached to" are you having trouble understanding?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast