Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Filibuster

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Would you be upset if the GOP eliminated the filibuster in ‘24 when you guys wanted it done right now? Honest question. You would support that right because you think it should be gone?
    Clearly you wouldn’t be.

I don’t think the problem would be the Republicans eliminating the filibuster, I think the problem would be what they would want to eliminate the filibuster for.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Clearly you wouldn’t be.

I don’t think the problem would be the Republicans eliminating the filibuster, I think the problem would be what they would want to eliminate the filibuster for.
    As long as you get what you want, dump the system. Lovely.

Thankfully a massive failure as two folks voted for people and not party.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post

They didn’t do this for people, they did this for themselves. They have both been very vague about what they think this bill should do and not do because they don’t want to be on the record because they’re purple state senators and want to keep their jobs. Now they don’t have to take a position they would have to defend in a primary or general election and can just hide behind the filibuster.

The system has been dead for some time.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

In a country where we have agreed that plurality — not even majority — determines the outcome of virtually all electoral contests, the filibuster is not only out-of-step, it is flat out wrong.

I think the system should be “dumped” regardless. Mainly because the majority of people want what Democrats are proposing. We should do more of what the people want.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    In a country where we have agreed that plurality — not even majority — determines the outcome of virtually all electoral contests, the filibuster is not only out-of-step, it is flat out wrong.
    43% was all that was required to elect Bill Clinton but 60% is required to pass a law verifying that 1+1=2 in the senate. Good times!

I think the system should be “dumped” regardless. Mainly because the majority of people want what Democrats are proposing. We should do more of what the people want.
    We should do of what is best for America. That may or may not have a plurality of support. The majority of people may want you "silenced." That doesn't mean you should be.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    43% was all that was required to elect Bill Clinton but 60% is required to pass a law verifying that 1+1=2 in the senate. Good times!
    Just because the Left struggles is no reason to now make this an issue. Just because the Left is broke doesn't mean we trash rules to fix them

We should do of what is best for America. That may or may not have a plurality of support. The majority of people may want you "silenced." That doesn't mean you should be.
    But who decides what is best for America?

Just because the Left struggles is no reason to now make this an issue. Just because the Left is broke doesn't mean we trash rules to fix them
    So you believe the system is functioning? If Russia were to attack Ukraine today, I see 50 votes to force us to side with Russia. If we had an meteor or something cause damage to a major population hub (likely a blue area), I see 50 votes to say "well that's a <insert state here> problem".

It's a very fair question. It's what causes multiple viewpoints

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    So you believe the system is functioning? If Russia were to attack Ukraine today, I see 50 votes to force us to side with Russia. If we had an meteor or something cause damage to a major population hub (likely a blue area), I see 50 votes to say "well that's a <insert state here> problem".
    Of course you do. you haven't shown anything but hatred for half the country.

Of course you do. you haven't shown anything but hatred for half the country.
    So you believe the system is functioning? I will leave out the rest of the commentary on why I feel that it is not functioning. Please let me know if you truly believe the system is functioning.

It's a very fair question. It's what causes multiple viewpoints
    Talk about painting yourself into a corner. So then, looks like — in lieu of anything else you come up with — we’ve accepted majority (or even plurality) rule.

Whether it’s good for America or not. Who knows? But it’s certainly bye, bye filibuster.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast