Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Filibuster

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    The argument is that for conservatives and progressives, who are in the minority of their parties, it allows their voices to be heard and for consensus to happen.

The Progressives for instance were at their strongest in BBB negotiations before they caved to the moderates, it's why we only got a ****** infrastructure bill.
    The centrist of each party should be looking to negotiate with their more minority wing and/or the centrists of the other party. Either way thereís a legit shot to actually pass something that will require compromise whether itís within the party or between factions of the party. There arenít 51 senators that all want the same thing and will vote alike 100% just because they all have an R or D next to their name. Compromise will be part of every bill, even if voted on party line. What we need is movement and a reasonable expectation of a government that is allowed to govern.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I canít read BOP posts unless theyíre reposted so I havenít been following whatever culminated into that last post but it doesnít seem to have anything to do with the filibuster.

I donít think thereís any reason or any obvious scenario that leads to dividing the country into two countries. We just need people who care more about fixing legitimate problems more than their own personal career. This has always been a problem in Washington but has become so weaponized by social media and 24 hour news that the government has lost its ability to function. Killing the filibuster should grease the wheels and force lawmakers to turn down the heat. And bad ideas can exposed if they actually get a chance to be implemented.
    No worries he'll keep responding to your posts even if you have him on ignore. You're lucky though. At least you can block his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    The Benefits of $5 a gallon gas and tent cities?
    Well gas isnít $5 there or anywhere in the US but do go on. That and the high incomes that are available in the state are two good ones.

Stop the count! Good thing there are lots of screenshots for when he inevitably deletes it.

What I would love to see happen is Republicans win the house and senate in Ď22 and take control. They win the presidency in Ď24 and they eliminate the filibuster.

Watch how many on the left turn on it again just like Schumer did when he was strongly against it and now is in favor of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    What I would love to see happen is Republicans win the house and senate in Ď22 and take control. They win the presidency in Ď24 and they eliminate the filibuster.

Watch how many on the left turn on it again just like Schumer did when he was strongly against it and now is in favor of it

Iím not rooting for any of that but if they do win all those levers of government I do hope they end the filibuster. But I doubt they will because the filibuster is a tool of obstruction that makes government ineffective and that has been the main goal of the Republican Party since the architects of the Reagan Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post

What I would love to see is Democrats take a bunch of very winnable seats in 2022. Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Wisconsin are all winnable.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    What I would love to see is Democrats take a bunch of very winnable seats in 2022. Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Wisconsin are all winnable.
    Thereís almost zero chance the Dís have 60 senate seats. Without getting rid of the filibuster itís unlikely either party has the supermajority needed to pass legislations addressing core platform issues unless theyíre show bills that have been hollowed out to gain bipartisanship.

Thereís almost zero chance the Dís have 60 senate seats. Without getting rid of the filibuster itís unlikely either party has the supermajority needed to pass legislations addressing core platform issues unless theyíre show bills that have been hollowed out to gain bipartisanship.
    True but there would be far more room to maneuver in a bill that gets through on reconciliation. Manchin and Sinema would be relegated to the nothing bin. I feel that we would get a better deal with Tim Ryan in Ohio.

True but there would be far more room to maneuver in a bill that gets through on reconciliation. Manchin and Sinema would be relegated to the nothing bin. I feel that we would get a better deal with Tim Ryan in Ohio.
    So the filibuster is so important that we should just always work around it? Just scrap it.

So the filibuster is so important that we should just always work around it? Just scrap it.
    The filibuster is just a legislative rule, nothing more and nothing less. It would be great that we would get people to agree. But look at our Bill of Rights and tell me how many of them you could get 60 votes to approve today?

The filibuster is just a legislative rule, nothing more and nothing less. It would be great that we would get people to agree. But look at our Bill of Rights and tell me how many of them you could get 60 votes to approve today?
    Exactly. Itís an outdated rule that was popularized to obstruct civil rights legislation. End it and end gridlock.

Exactly. Itís an outdated rule that was popularized to obstruct civil rights legislation. End it and end gridlock.
    Canít argue with any of these assertions.

We don't do big things in a bipartisan fashion anymore.

We don't do big things in a bipartisan fashion anymore.
    Thatís because weíve incentivize people who run from the extremes of their party and view compromise as a weakness.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast