Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Filibuster

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think the system should be “dumped” regardless. Mainly because the majority of people want what Democrats are proposing. We should do more of what the people want.
    So if you think the system should be dumped regardless than you would obviously be okay with it if the gop did it for their right wing agendas in a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    So if you think the system should be dumped regardless than you would obviously be okay with it if the gop did it for their right wing agendas in a few years
    I would be glad the system is changed, but I likely wouldn't like anything they plan to do with that power.

***Trigger Warning***

Here is a video of a White Supremacist defending the Jim Crow Filibuster on the Senate Floor.

I would be glad the system is changed, but I likely wouldn't like anything they plan to do with that power.
    You do understand that Dem's have a real numbers problem regarding the Senate, it took an enormous amount of things going their way to get THIS majority in the Senate. In the future without the Filibuster, the GOP will have Senate majorities FAR more often than Dem's and future Dem majorities will probably look similar to this one 50/50 51/49 so it will already be hard to get **** done without the filibuster.

No, keeping the Filibuster as is, (not even weakening it to 55) is in the Dem's best interest in both the medium and long term.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    You do understand that Dem's have a real numbers problem regarding the Senate, it took an enormous amount of things going their way to get THIS majority in the Senate. In the future without the Filibuster, the GOP will have Senate majorities FAR more often than Dem's and future Dem majorities will probably look similar to this one 50/50 51/49 so it will already be hard to get **** done without the filibuster.

No, keeping the Filibuster as is, (not even weakening it to 55) is in the Dem's best interest in both the medium and long term.
    I disagree. I think the best way to change that math is to have republicans actually pass laws. Parties that get clear power tend to pass laws that eventually are unsuccessful or go to far and the public shifts to the party out of power. The filibuster will likely delay that. If the country wants a Republican majority in all the levers of power they should get that for better or worse. Then we can decide if we want to keep getting Republican majorities or switch back to the Dems.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I disagree. I think the best way to change that math is to have republicans actually pass laws. Parties that get clear power tend to pass laws that eventually are unsuccessful or go to far and the public shifts to the party out of power. The filibuster will likely delay that. If the country wants a Republican majority in all the levers of power they should get that for better or worse. Then we can decide if we want to keep getting Republican majorities or switch back to the Dems.
    The math problem is that there simply are more VERY red states than there are very blue states. And even in the purple ones, they kinda lean red a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    So you believe the system is functioning? I will leave out the rest of the commentary on why I feel that it is not functioning. Please let me know if you truly believe the system is functioning.
    Are we in meltdown disarray captured by foreign entities? Nope. Huh...amazing.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

SO you care more about a system than the actual results?
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

The fact the Senate leans heavily Republican despite Democrats consistently getting more votes is exactly why we need to get rid of the filibuster to pass the voting rights bills. Even you admit the system is stacked against Democrats, so why should they continue to abide by this stacked and blatantly unfair system?

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    SO you care more about a system than the actual results?
    I care about both. I think correcting the system now will lead to better results. The voting rights bills are vital to making sure our elections are free, fair, and not stacked in one party's favor.

I care about both. I think correcting the system now will lead to better results. The voting rights bills are vital to making sure our elections are free, fair, and not stacked in one party's favor.
    That bill was suppression. The voting should remain almost exclusively with state and local levels.

The math problem is that there simply are more VERY red states than there are very blue states. And even in the purple ones, they kinda lean red a lot of the time.
    These things don’t last forever. Lots of blue states use to be red states and the other way around. Having a government that actually legislates will change how some people vote when rhetoric starts to actually effect our lives.

That bill was suppression. The voting should remain almost exclusively with state and local levels.
    Even if the States and local levels engage in suppression?

“Almost exclusively”. WTF does that even mean?

Sounds like a "definitely maybe" sort of situation.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast