Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dolphins to stick with Tua, per Rapsheet

Ross and Grier reportedly still believe in Tua as the starter and want to hire a HC who can build around him.

So weíll be looking for a HC that wants to work with Grier AND Tua.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Ross and Grier reportedly still believe in Tua as the starter and want to hire a HC who can build around him.

So weíll be looking for a HC that wants to work with Grier AND Tua.
    Reminds me when we hired Gase. Same process, pick a coach who claims to believe in the QB already installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Reminds me when we hired Gase. Same process, pick a coach who claims to believe in the QB already installed.
    Difference is that I do truly believe that they will move on quickly if they donít like him.

Once Flo was gone I thought Watson was pretty much done for. So at that point it makes sense to stick with Tua and maybe draft a guy Day 3 to try and push him. Or add a guy like Mariota as legit competition.

If Tua canít make it work after an offseason of improving the offense and new system then look to draft a guy in 23.

Reports are Flo and Watson have been in communication recently to try and go to the same team. So it clearly was Flo and Flo alone that was pushing for Watson. He was actively trying to force the trade. If that doesn't concern other teams about his attitude, then I don't know what will.
    Tua is not a top 15 QB right now, and probably won't be heading into 2022, but the right play is to keep him in 2022 and then decide to move on from there if need be. I wouldn't draft to only play to Tua's strengths, I would draft to play to different style QBs strengths, just in case Tua is gone in 2023. Build the OL to protect him, but also to protect a potential rookie in 2023.
    I am happy that the Tua discussion is done with for now, and we can move forward in 2022 knowing he is QB1

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    Reports are Flo and Watson have been in communication recently to try and go to the same team. So it clearly was Flo and Flo alone that was pushing for Watson. He was actively trying to force the trade. If that doesn't concern other teams about his attitude, then I don't know what will.
    Tua is not a top 15 QB right now, and probably won't be heading into 2022, but the right play is to keep him in 2022 and then decide to move on from there if need be. I wouldn't draft to only play to Tua's strengths, I would draft to play to different style QBs strengths, just in case Tua is gone in 2023. Build the OL to protect him, but also to protect a potential rookie in 2023.
    I am happy that the Tua discussion is done with for now, and we can move forward in 2022 knowing he is QB1
    I was just looking at a QB ranking that was done 4 days ago and It had Tua ranked 23rd.

22-Mac Jones
    21-Jared Goff
    20-Teddy Bridgewater
    19-Ben Roethliesberger
    18-Carson Wentz
    17-Jalen Hurts
    16-Jimmy Garrapolo

Some of the guys ranked lower than Tua

Baker Mayfield- I am not going to hype up Mayfield but I would argue at this point in their careers Mayfield is
    better than Tua.

I think others rated below like Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, Jamies Winston, Davis Mills all could be in the discussion for that 23 ranking with Tua.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/q...nkings-2021/2/

Things are getting sticky in Dolphin land. A defensive player has stated he's wasting his career with Tua as the QB. That's a damaging statement. My guess would be Xavien made the comment. But, I don't think Ross's comment is a guarantee Tua is the starter next season, rather it was what had to be said at the moment. I wouldn't read too much into it. Still, damage has been done with the release of that negative comment by the defensive player. How are they going to clean up the collateral damage?

Adding to the above
    ďHe canít make every throw. Heís only going to take us so far. Iím wasting my career here if thatís what weíre doing!Ē
    Anonymous Miami Dolphins player on team sticking by QB Tua Tagovailoa, via Omar Kelly
    A lack of arm strength and velocity proved to be Tagovailoaís biggest issue. He ranked 35th amongst qualified quarterbacks in deep-throw rate (7.5%) and finished 25th in QB rating (77.2) when throwing 20-plus yards downfield, per Pro Football Focus.

Deep-throw rate is meaningless being we just couldn't throw deep offen with how bad our OL was. I saw him make deep throws with ease when he had time.

Although alot of time he had to make those deep throws when it was 3rd and 17, so your forcing them and your rating is going to suffer. I just want to see what Tua can do behind a decent line atleast.

Plus there isn't any reason to look else where for a QB, no great options. The draft is very meh this year and if your looking to deal picks for a vet that seems stupid to me. More so when Rodgers looked bad yesterday and all of his other off field stuff, Watson is a no go for me, Russell Wilson wasn't his normal self since the injury and Jimmy G aint a clear upgrade IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Deep-throw rate is meaningless being we just couldn't throw deep offen with how bad our OL was. I saw him make deep throws with ease when he had time.

Although alot of time he had to make those deep throws when it was 3rd and 17, so your forcing them and your rating is going to suffer. I just want to see what Tua can do behind a decent line atleast.

Plus there isn't any reason to look else where for a QB, no great options. The draft is very meh this year and if your looking to deal picks for a vet that seems stupid to me. More so when Rodgers looked bad yesterday and all of his other off field stuff, Watson is a no go for me, Russell Wilson wasn't his normal self since the injury and Jimmy G aint a clear upgrade IMO.
    I am not saying its the tell all but I wouldn't say its meaningless. I will use Fitz and Tua behind last seasons line. I don't know the numbers, but watching the games it was obvious that when Fitz was behind the same offensive line as Tua that Fitz through the ball deep at a much higher clip than Tua.

I am not saying its the tell all but I wouldn't say its meaningless. I will use Fitz and Tua behind last seasons line. I don't know the numbers, but watching the games it was obvious that when Fitz was behind the same offensive line as Tua that Fitz through the ball deep at a much higher clip than Tua.
    Well for one that line was better, also thats just the type of QB Fitz is. He throws a **** ton of jump balls. He also threw 8 picks in 7 starts.

Well for one that line was better, also thats just the type of QB Fitz is. He throws a **** ton of jump balls. He also threw 8 picks in 7 starts.
    That is my point about Tua. He generally only throws to wide open players and his stats reflect that. You're unlikely to score many points on a regular basis by only throwing to wide open players.

You guys can keep arguing about those stats or whatever. I just know after watching this Bills Chiefs game that I just donít see how Tua can compete against these two.

Give Tua the year, but if he doesnít ball out we need to draft whatever corn fed freak thatís out there.

QB is now one of those positions that you have to find a guy that has the measurables. Guys just donít get the time to develop and reach the mental level that Brees or Brady did. Remember that Brees didnít get to that level until he went to New Orleans.

I canít help but feel nervous that Flo was right. 100% he deserved to be fired, but his desire to get a guy like Watson was right.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    You guys can keep arguing about those stats or whatever. I just know after watching this Bills Chiefs game that I just donít see how Tua can compete against these two.

Give Tua the year, but if he doesnít ball out we need to draft whatever corn fed freak thatís out there.

QB is now one of those positions that you have to find a guy that has the measurables. Guys just donít get the time to develop and reach the mental level that Brees or Brady did. Remember that Brees didnít get to that level until he went to New Orleans.

I canít help but feel nervous that Flo was right. 100% he deserved to be fired, but his desire to get a guy like Watson was right.
    If your basing it on performance I don't believe Flores deserved to be fired.

Josh Allen was absolutely incredible.

It's just a matter of when Tua is gone, each year more people will jump off the Tua bandwagon and we will waste multiple seasons realizing he is not the guy. At best the Dolphins can hope that Tua is our Jimmy G. Where we somehow win despite our QB.

I think you' make some great points and we should stick with him this year, mainly because there aren't any real options out there. Although I still think Rodgers makes us instant trouble for anyone. But for how long? We have to find our own physically-gifted QB in the draft at some point. But we may as well build the best team possible with Tua this year and see what he can do. If it's not quite good enough you still up his value if you want to trade and move on. Plus, if he does turn out to be able to somehow score lots of points without being Allen / Mahomes, great, we're good. Either way we are in position to build the winning culture this year that has eluded this team since at least the 1990's, so we need to be aggressive this year and see this build through.

Adding to the above

A lack of arm strength and velocity proved to be Tagovailoaís biggest issue. He ranked 35th amongst qualified quarterbacks in deep-throw rate (7.5%) and finished 25th in QB rating (77.2) when throwing 20-plus yards downfield, per Pro Football Focus.
    Never a dull moment in Dolphins Land.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast