Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Precious Achiuwa

Curious what everyone thinks of Precious Achiuwa at this point in the season. I've been disappointed, although I see the flashes of athleticism and energy. The skill based items (handles, shooting) look pretty much the same to me. There is something there, but it isn't efficient and functional in games yet.

My concern about him is more his timing and touch around the rim. Watching Bismack Biyombo last night reminded me a little of his issues finishing anything that wasn't a dunk and I became concerned that this might not develop as linearly as we often hope.

So what do you guys think, is he closer to Bismack Biyombo or Bam Adebayo? I feel it is more the former, recognizing there is time to develop still, but it has been discouraging for me of late.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Curious what everyone thinks of Precious Achiuwa at this point in the season. I've been disappointed, although I see the flashes of athleticism and energy. The skill based items (handles, shooting) look pretty much the same to me. There is something there, but it isn't efficient and functional in games yet.

My concern about him is more his timing and touch around the rim. Watching Bismack Biyombo last night reminded me a little of his issues finishing anything that wasn't a dunk and I became concerned that this might not develop as linearly as we often hope.

So what do you guys think, is he closer to Bismack Biyombo or Bam Adebayo? I feel it is more the former, recognizing there is time to develop still, but it has been discouraging for me of late.
    I don't see legit NBA starter on a contender in his game, but I think he should have a long career as a bench big. He has certain skills with great value, most notably, in my opinion, his ability to guard on the perimeter. His 3 ball is developing, and I do think that if his decision-making improves, that he can be an impact player on both ends without making any huge sacrifices one way or the other for a team. He's well worth his current contract and after that we can evaluate. If he's the make or break in a trade they want, then I doubt they'd hesitate on it... IMO.

His BB IQ is really bad. He sucks at reading the game so it throws off his timing for cuts and passes. Also affects his spacing. He has no patience to allow plays to develop and rushes them. How many plays have we seen where he is just trying to take on 4 guys or not pass out from an offensive board when there are better options available?

I think he could be a two way Montrez Harrell if he had better IQ. That's an all star in this league so maybe too much to hope for. Probably a lot less efficient than Harrell.

I don't really see a C tho. He doesn't provide that much presence in the paint and you kinda want to use his athleticism/mobility more on the perimeter. I still see a F with the ability to match up against a strong 4/5 if need be like OG's current role.
    Last edited by ecart; 01-13-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Short term: I think heís fine right now in a limited role. I like the big-bench tandem of him and boucher. Major contrast between the 2 of them in build/skills, while also being interchangeable and switchable.
    I think we saw a lot of players being dared to do things outside fo their usual toolbox at the beginning of the season. Nurse always does this, and then he slowly starts to cut the bad shots and that is what we are seeing now.
    Itís a good philosophy. The problem is when you have a guy like precious who is technically a mismatch against most bigs with his quickness, but does not yet know how to exploit that. I think we saw him purposely playing outside of his lane and that has warped our view of the player he is. When he plays in his lane he can be a contributor on a winner.

Long term: it comes down to developing the IQ, and the 3. There was a game early in the season where he hit 2 big 3ís to keep us in a game we eventually won. It was a glimpse into the type of impact he could eventually have. If he becomes a threat with the 3 it will contribute to the spacing, but also open up drives to the basket and opportunities to use that quickness.

I donít see Bam at all. I see Amir Johnson with less IQ. But if he develops that 3 he could be something very valuable to a championship team. Can anyone think of a good comp for an Amir Johnson with a 3?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Short term: I think heís fine right now in a limited role. I like the big-bench tandem of him and boucher. Major contrast between the 2 of them in build/skills, while also being interchangeable and switchable.
    I think we saw a lot of players being dared to do things outside fo their usual toolbox at the beginning of the season. Nurse always does this, and then he slowly starts to cut the bad shots and that is what we are seeing now.
    Itís a good philosophy. The problem is when you have a guy like precious who is technically a mismatch against most bigs with his quickness, but does not yet know how to exploit that. I think we saw him purposely playing outside of his lane and that has warped our view of the player he is. When he plays in his lane he can be a contributor on a winner.

Long term: it comes down to developing the IQ, and the 3. There was a game early in the season where he hit 2 big 3ís to keep us in a game we eventually won. It was a glimpse into the type of impact he could eventually have. If he becomes a threat with the 3 it will contribute to the spacing, but also open up drives to the basket and opportunities to use that quickness.

I donít see Bam at all. I see Amir Johnson with less IQ. But if he develops that 3 he could be something very valuable to a championship team. Can anyone think of a good comp for an Amir Johnson with a 3?
    no, AJ was a good PnR big with soft touch around the rim but couldn't do anything else. Precious can dribble and take wings/bigs off the dribble.

Where are you getting that Nurse always does this? Nurse never does this lol. Nurse is usually pretty conservative. The only reason he gave Precious leeway was cause he didn't want to change his sets, he was just the placeholder for Siakam in that scheme. And because he was capable of doing more than he did in Miami (Spo didn't need him to be a wing).

We need a centre or lower forward starter with this group! Believe it or not inwould use Fred at his highest stock right now to get that piece. A defensive beast! Who can that be?

I would run my point with Scottie

Scottie
    Gary
    Og
    Siakem
    ?

idk how you're hating on Fred with how he has been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    no, AJ was a good PnR big with soft touch around the rim but couldn't do anything else. Precious can dribble and take wings/bigs off the dribble.

Where are you getting that Nurse always does this? Nurse never does this lol. Nurse is usually pretty conservative. The only reason he gave Precious leeway was cause he didn't want to change his sets, he was just the placeholder for Siakam in that scheme. And because he was capable of doing more than he did in Miami (Spo didn't need him to be a wing).
    I see what youíre saying. Amir definitely had more touch around the rim. I was more thinking impact wise. 10/10 potential when starting, but doesnít really contribute anything else other than hustle. Kinda undersized to be an inside defensive presence, can stay infront of guys but doesnít really stop anyone in their tracks.

The way he hustles and throws his body around is similar to scola, but scola had shooting and touch too, and IQ. Trying to think of a comp that ppl around here will know.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    idk how you're hating on Fred with how he has been playing.
    Yeah Fred is becoming everything we hoped he could become. Be happy.

Oh and nurse literally does that every season @ecart. Every single season he has been head coach here he lets guys play outside of their usual boundaries at the beginning of the season, and starts to widdle down the shots to only good shots by the end of the season.

He talks about how he does this himself all the time.

Oh and nurse literally does that every season @ecart. Every single season he has been head coach here he lets guys play outside of their usual boundaries at the beginning of the season, and starts to widdle down the shots to only good shots by the end of the season.

He talks about how he does this himself all the time.
    no he says he lets them play through mistakes early on to develop chemistry. has nothing to do with expanding their boundaries. hes not telling precious to go out there and play like **** and jack up shots and then 40 games in be like nah cut that out.

I see what youíre saying. Amir definitely had more touch around the rim. I was more thinking impact wise. 10/10 potential when starting, but doesnít really contribute anything else other than hustle. Kinda undersized to be an inside defensive presence, can stay infront of guys but doesnít really stop anyone in their tracks.

The way he hustles and throws his body around is similar to scola, but scola had shooting and touch too, and IQ. Trying to think of a comp that ppl around here will know.
    hes basically harrell with brick hands. if he pans out then he could be gerald wallace.
    Last edited by ecart; 01-16-2022 at 12:27 AM.

I noticed recently that Devlin will make a comment somewhere along the lines of "Achuiwa with the ball, Siakam asking for it back, and pulls up for a jumper".

I think he can be a JYD type.

He really needs to gain more of a skill set. To me right now heís an energy big off the bench. I do like his grittyness and he is pretty athletic. But still very raw. Iím not entirely sure what he is good at.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think he can be a JYD type.

He really needs to gain more of a skill set. To me right now heís an energy big off the bench. I do like his grittyness and he is pretty athletic. But still very raw. Iím not entirely sure what he is good at.
    For me right now it is his defence that stands out. He is big, long, strong and very athletic. Switches well on smaller players. Offensively he is just really really raw....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast