Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cap Cuts -A Conundrum

I understand that because of our cap situation players have to be cut and two names prominently mentioned are Martinez and Bradberry.

If we do cut them , we have to replace them and they were one of our best defensive players in 2020. If Martinez is still ailing , then it is a no brainer but what if he is not ?

They would have to be repalced . There is talk that if Bradberry is cut we would strongly consider Hamilton or Stingley Jr with one of our top picks . If that happens we would be neglecting our OL which is our biggest need . I have advocating picking 2 OL in the first round and if need me another with our second round pick . That is the condundrum.

I am not sure how we replace a healthy Martinez

Martinez does not appear to fit well in Martindales system which values more athletic SAM type LBers.

Bradberry may not fit because heís a guy that thrives in man against slower, larger receivers when he gets help over the top from a 2 deep safety formation. Plus his cap hit is enormous.

Martinez should be cut. Bradberry can definitely be traded.

Giants save $20.6m in cap space by moving on from both.

Trade Saquan and you save another $7.2m.
    Cut Shepard you save another $4.5m.
    Cut Dixon thats another $2.8m.
    Cut Ximenes thatís another $1m.
    Cut Kyle Rudolph thatís another $5m.
    Cut Booker thatís another $2.1m.

There $43.1m in cap savings by removing guys who are not likely to be part of the future of this team. Plus you could get 2-3 mid round picks for Barkley and Bradberry.

Now letís imagine we add 2 more picks in this draft after trading Bradberry and Saquan and we end up with 11 total picks.

We can now resign a guy like Lorenzo Carter who would fit perfectly as a SAM back with Martindale to go along with Ojulari, Roche and maybe Smith. You can also use some of the cap savings to a sign a starting interior OL player and at least 1 depth OL guy. You can plug other holes of need with guys who fit the scheme better on both offense and defense.

And then you have 11 picks in a deep draft to really build up this roster, with the cap space to sign everyone and have future flexibility.

This isnít going to get fixed in a year. Anyone who isnít likely part of year 2 and beyond should be sent packing if the cap savings is right. But I think this team can be real solid by year 2 if they take their medicine year 1 of this rebuild.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Martinez does not appear to fit well in Martindales system which values more athletic SAM type LBers.

Bradberry may not fit because heís a guy that thrives in man against slower, larger receivers when he gets help over the top from a 2 deep safety formation. Plus his cap hit is enormous.

Martinez should be cut. Bradberry can definitely be traded.

Giants save $20.6m in cap space by moving on from both.

Trade Saquan and you save another $7.2m.
    Cut Shepard you save another $4.5m.
    Cut Dixon thats another $2.8m.
    Cut Ximenes thatís another $1m.
    Cut Kyle Rudolph thatís another $5m.
    Cut Booker thatís another $2.1m.

There $43.1m in cap savings by removing guys who are not likely to be part of the future of this team. Plus you could get 2-3 mid round picks for Barkley and Bradberry.

Now letís imagine we add 2 more picks in this draft after trading Bradberry and Saquan and we end up with 11 total picks.

We can now resign a guy like Lorenzo Carter who would fit perfectly as a SAM back with Martindale to go along with Ojulari, Roche and maybe Smith. You can also use some of the cap savings to a sign a starting interior OL player and at least 1 depth OL guy. You can plug other holes of need with guys who fit the scheme better on both offense and defense.

And then you have 11 picks in a deep draft to really build up this roster, with the cap space to sign everyone and have future flexibility.

This isnít going to get fixed in a year. Anyone who isnít likely part of year 2 and beyond should be sent packing if the cap savings is right. But I think this team can be real solid by year 2 if they take their medicine year 1 of this rebuild.
    The Giants have 9 picks not 11. 2 in the first round, 1 in the second round , 2 in the third round , 1 in the 4th round , 2 in the fith round and 1 in the 6th round , none in the 7th round.

Everything you say I am oK with except trading Barkley . I would not . In my opinion I think he will be a much different player under Doball and Kafka, maybe not the Barkley of his rookie year but much better than what we have seen.

In order to have any sort of a passing attack you have to establis the run and without him we have zilch . !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    The Giants have 9 picks not 11. 2 in the first round, 1 in the second round , 2 in the third round , 1 in the 4th round , 2 in the fith round and 1 in the 6th round , none in the 7th round.

Everything you say I am oK with except trading Barkley . I would not . In my opinion I think he will be a much different player under Doball and Kafka, maybe not the Barkley of his rookie year but much better than what we have seen.

In order to have any sort of a passing attack you have to establis the run and without him we have zilch . !!!
    He added 2 picks if we traded Bradberry n Saquon. If this years as do many years show having a star RB means nothing. You can easily find a RB in the later rounds so can be effective. Plus Saquon hasnít done **** and heís not part of the future. Better off trading him to the bills and try to get at least a 4 or 5th round draft pick. The cut that will hurt the most is Bradberry. Heís not effective against fast quick WR but heís a crafty veteran high IQ player now youíre talking about placing him with either Robinson/Holmes or Love and using the one of our high picks on a corner.

Yeah Iím assuming Schoen finds 2 more day 2/3 picks with some trades to get to 11.

And the thing about Barkley is you are at a point where you need to have some goals. If he balls out in 2022 as a Giant are you giving him a long term deal? I sure am not doing that. If anything Iím investing those dollars in OL and defense. If he sucks, youíre not even gonna get a real comp pick if he leaves. And if he gets hurt, youíre screwed. Thereís no scenario in which I see keeping him a good idea for the future.

Iím loading up on late draft and UFA RBs by committee to get us the run game we need to complement the pass attack. And if you draft, sign and develop OL well, you can do that rather easily.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yeah Iím assuming Schoen finds 2 more day 2/3 picks with some trades to get to 11.

And the thing about Barkley is you are at a point where you need to have some goals. If he balls out in 2022 as a Giant are you giving him a long term deal? I sure am not doing that. If anything Iím investing those dollars in OL and defense. If he sucks, youíre not even gonna get a real comp pick if he leaves. And if he gets hurt, youíre screwed. Thereís no scenario in which I see keeping him a good idea for the future.

Iím loading up on late draft and UFA RBs by committee to get us the run game we need to complement the pass attack. And if you draft, sign and develop OL well, you can do that rather easily.
    I respect your opinion and we can agree to disagree about Barkley.I think he is going to turn it around big time in 2022 but that is just my opinion which is worth or worthless as anyone elses on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I respect your opinion and we can agree to disagree about Barkley.I think he is going to turn it around big time in 2022 but that is just my opinion which is worth or worthless as anyone elses on this forum.
    The Barkley situation is the most frustrating one as a fan. Any good team should want a player like Barkley but because of where this team is it is just hard to commit to the guy.

If they keep Barkley I donít want him in the backfield as a 3 down RB. Heís a playmaker and should be used all over the field as a weapon that causes defensive confusion. I think thatís where he has the most value.

I still stand by my stance that I think itís best to trade him for the cap savings and whatever midday picks you can get given where this team is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk