Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I have a friend who worked security at Shea and Citi field…told me Keith and Gary were dicks but Ronnie was down to earth and always talked baseball with him.

Honestly, it sounds really believable lol.

But yeah, Keith is the equivalent of old man yells at cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a shame to hear Gary's a dick too, he seems like a down to earth guy. Oh well, never meet your heroes I guess [emoji2371]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I applauded this. Long overdue.

I don’t want to hear about Gary’s number 8 though. While he was much beloved, and understandably so, he essentially had two good seasons as a Met.

And then he was cooked.

But good job retiring #17.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I applauded this. Long overdue.

I don’t want to hear about Gary’s number 8 though. While he was much beloved, and understandably so, he essentially had two good seasons as a Met.

And then he was cooked.

But good job retiring #17.
    Yeah, but they have essentially retired his number, it has not been worn since when? 2002?

I am more a believer that 18 and 16 should be retired but will never be and imo 15 should also be considered.

But I still want to know when Casey Stengel number is retired?

5 should be next

He will be next, but dude is 39 years old can we wait a bit?

I don’t look to athletes for their political or sociological opinions, so I don’t view their greatness as athletes or impact on my enjoyment of the game through the lens of their personal views.

Keith was an all time great Met and a co captain on that 1986 team I loved as a kid. Happy to see his number retired.

I could give a rats *** what he does with his own body and his own time. I sure didn’t care when he was coked up and kicking *** in the 80s.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    He will be next, but dude is 39 years old can we wait a bit?

Why wait

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yeah, but they have essentially retired his number, it has not been worn since when? 2002?

I am more a believer that 18 and 16 should be retired but will never be and imo 15 should also be considered.

But I still want to know when Casey Stengel number is retired?

Lol Casey’s was the first ever Met uni to be retired. Maybe you meant “why?”

Casey marketed the “Amazin” Mets. He took a team of has beens and got a city excited to have them there, at least until they could become decent. Remember, this was a time when they were forced to take the dregs of the other 16 teams. And there was no free agency. All they had was Casey’s wit and humor. Their first draft pick was Hobie Landrith. He would be traded for Marc Throneberry. Gil Hodges hit the team’s first ever home run. Gil would be traded to Washington for Jimmy Piersall, famous for hitting his 100th career home run and then circling the bases backward.

In Washington, Gil would hone his skills as manager which would come in handy a few years later when he returned to the Mets.

You’re welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Lol Casey’s was the first ever Met uni to be retired. Maybe you meant “why?”

Casey marketed the “Amazin” Mets. He took a team of has beens and got a city excited to have them there, at least until they could become decent. Remember, this was a time when they were forced to take the dregs of the other 16 teams. And there was no free agency. All they had was Casey’s wit and humor. Their first draft pick was Hobie Landrith. He would be traded for Marc Throneberry. Gil Hodges hit the team’s first ever home run. Gil would be traded to Washington for Jimmy Piersall, famous for hitting his 100th career home run and then circling the bases backward.

In Washington, Gil would hone his skills as manager which would come in handy a few years later when he returned to the Mets.

You’re welcome.
    Still don’t see why Stengel number is retired.

I see why Hodges is, not Casey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12