Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I’m guessing we could trade or cut Flowers this off-season and have the money we need to sign a couple of these guys to multi year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    I’m guessing we could trade or cut Flowers this off-season and have the money we need to sign a couple of these guys to multi year deals.
    Cutting him before June 1, 2022 would clear just shy of $10.4 million in cap space, with $12.85 million in dead money. Designating him a post-June 1 cut would clear $16 million in cap room, and leave behind $7.239 million in dead money.

A trade, before or after June 1, shifts the numbers–almost evenly in dead money/cleared cap room before June 1 on that $23.2 millon cap hit, and with only $5.6 million in dead money if he were officially traded after June 1.

Per Side Lion Report
    Not sure how palatable trading or cutting him will be prior to next season. That's still a lot of cash left on the books.

Saw that Brian Flores is going to interview in Chicago next week. I think of all the potential HC prospects out there, Flores is the only one that I'd fear in conference right out of the box. He's had success quickly in MIA and it sounds like he was fired for wanting make all the right moves for the Fins and Stephen Ross simply disagreed. I heard a report that he'd prefer the Giants because he grew up in Brooklyn, which works for me. We do play NYG next season, but they're still a major rebuild away from being competitive. I think if we learned anything from the Matt Patricia tire fire first hand, it's that many of the sexy, good-on-paper coordinators crash and burn because they're unproven and get in way over their heads almost immediately. More often than not, it's an unsuccessful roll of the dice. Flores has shown he's good organizationally and can get it done. Just hoping both MIN and CHI pass on him and go elsewhere.

The weird thing about Flores is it seemed like he overachieved and got fired anyway, and people were scratching their heads like, what? why?

then a bunch of smear reports about him being a tyrant came out, it's bizarre

He apparently was in favor of acquiring Watson and didn't get along with Tua, so being interviewed today with the Texans makes sense, but the whole situation is weird

At first it seemed they fired him because they were zeroed in on Harbaugh, but Harbaugh seems to want to stick with Michigan, so his discontent with ownership and the QB situation has to be the reason, because dude was handed one of the worst rosters in the league a couple years ago and was a game within the playoffs the last two years, we'd kill for that here

I'm pretty salty we're likely going to get Hutchinson instead of thibodeaux.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    I think thibodeaux is the better athlete. His burst is pretty impressive. Hutchinson reminds me of a JJ Watt type. I could see him being a vocal leader for the team.

I would prefer thibodeaux but I’m not disappointed if it’s Hutchinson

Call it wishful thinking on my part but I am not entirely sold the Jags would take a pass rusher. They have Josh Allen, just drafted K'Lavon Chaisson in 2020, and have some depth guys on the DL in RRH and Dawuane Smoot. Also, the 2022 draft is deep at the edge spot. They really need to protect Lawrence too (IE Evan Neal or Ikem Ekwonu).

Of course, in their position you could also argue that you take the best talent available regardless, K'Lavon hasn't exactly shined thus far, and you can never have enough edge rushers.

I’d like to see them get Hamilton from ND. Walker is good but that secondary needs more high end talent and he seems like what the Lions need. Cine with their second first round pick would be a good alternative. Two of Hamilton/Gardner/Dean/Cine would really be a huge shot in the arm and make Glenn a happy man.
    Last edited by GasMan; 01-16-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    I'd prefer Thibs as well, but I trust the AG and the defensive coaching staff to elevate any player we get on the defensive side of the ball. Same reason why I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with Okudah next season, if they can keep him healthy, as well.

I have a funny feeling that we will trade out of the number 2 spot. And end up with a mid 1st round pick and an extra second and 4th
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    I have a funny feeling that we will trade out of the number 2 spot. And end up with a mid 1st round pick and an extra second and 4th
    if we trade out of 2. We are getting additional 1st rounders in another draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
    if we trade out of 2. We are getting additional 1st rounders in another draft.
    Realistically… What would somebody give up for one of those two guys? I could see if it was a franchise quarterback… I could see teams giving up a couple of number ones. But I’m not so sure about defensive ends. Do they hold the same value as franchise quarterbacks?
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Realistically… What would somebody give up for one of those two guys? I could see if it was a franchise quarterback… I could see teams giving up a couple of number ones. But I’m not so sure about defensive ends. Do they hold the same value as franchise quarterbacks?
    Edge rushers are always a premium position so they are high on the value chart especially if you can grab a star. In this draft though I wonder if it holds that same weight given the talent of the EDGE class. No doubt Kayvon and Aidan are above the others and will make an instant impact, but if you aren't at 1 or 2 do you want to move up when you can still get a Jermaine Johnson II, Travon Walker, Dvid Ojabo, or George Karlaftis later in the first?

Sounds like Alex Anzalone is leaving detroit. Or atleast testing FA. He was a captain and the signal caller of the defense but his play was suspect at times. this creates a much bigger need at LB. As if the need was big enough already.

I feel like elite pass rushers who can wreck an offensive gameplan are right there with elite QB prospects

the difference I'd guess is contracts, if you land a stud QB he's gonna gobble up way more of your cap after 4-5 years than an elite pass rusher will, and QBs are so hit or miss, whereas stud edge guys don't really miss that often

Personally, as much as we always make the "trade back and accumulate more picks" idea, I'm good staying at two, we need a game wrecker, and they're right there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast