Off the top of my head the top 5 would be in order

Joker

Big gap

Giannis/embiid/durant

Lebron

Curry

Big gap

I will give the full top 10 after work
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 01-07-2022 at 06:46 AM.

I agree you have the right top 6. Then I got
    Ja Morant
    Luka
    Demar
    Mitchell

Feels right but Trae has really balled out lately...

I could probably tinker with it more given more thought, but here are the names that come to mind. Obviously there are loads of injuries and missed games this year that affect some of the statistical measurements, but based on what players have done so far "this season."

Jokic
    Curry
    Durant
    Giannis
    LeBron
    Gobert
    Embiid
    Morant
    DeRozan
    VanVleet

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I could probably tinker with it more given more thought, but here are the names that come to mind. Obviously there are loads of injuries and missed games this year that affect some of the statistical measurements, but based on what players have done so far "this season."

Jokic
    Curry
    Durant
    Giannis
    LeBron
    Gobert
    Embiid
    Morant
    DeRozan
    VanVleet
    Gobert Vs. Donovan Mitchell is such an interesting debate. I wonder who Jazz fans would pick if they could only choose 1.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Gobert Vs. Donovan Mitchell is such an interesting debate. I wonder who Jazz fans would pick if they could only choose 1.
    I was thinking that when I made my choice. Gobert's defensive impact is just so dominant it was hard for me to ignore some of those metrics. The defensive argument is what compelled me to include FVV too (although his offensive numbers have been impressive too). Not usually someone that gets included in these types of lists.

I was thinking that when I made my choice. Gobert's defensive impact is just so dominant it was hard for me to ignore some of those metrics. The defensive argument is what compelled me to include FVV too (although his offensive numbers have been impressive too). Not usually someone that gets included in these types of lists.
    Oh for sure you get credit for outside the box thinking when you put FVV in over Luka. Bravo lol

And I'm not being sarcastic.

I can't sit here and pretend like I've watched a lot of non-Rockets basketball this season, because I haven't. But from what I've caught and what the numbers show, most of your lists seem right. One guy whose name I haven't seen, but who it feels like deserves some consideration is Jimmy Butler. I know he's missed a lot of games, but he's averaging 23/6/5/2 with elite efficiency and he's 4th in WS/48, 3rd in BPM and (despite only playing 23 games) 8th in VORP.

I would put him ahead of FVV, certainly, and probably ahead of Luka, who it feels like isn't having a great start to the season.

It's kind of a cop out answer, but I think I'd rather have Gobert in the regular season and Mitchell in the playoffs. Over an 82-game season, give me the absurdly consistent defensive anchor. In the playoffs, I want the clutch shotmaker who can generate offense when the game slows down.

Oh for sure you get credit for outside the box thinking when you put FVV in over Luka. Bravo lol

As a Raptors fan, it probably isn't too far outside the box for me . Whether it is bias, or the fact that I watch all of his games, I'm certainly influenced differently than the average NBA fan. But if we are talking "this season" and looking at the numbers (objectively), it isn't at all out of place to have him in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I can't sit here and pretend like I've watched a lot of non-Rockets basketball this season, because I haven't. But from what I've caught and what the numbers show, most of your lists seem right. One guy whose name I haven't seen, but who it feels like deserves some consideration is Jimmy Butler. I know he's missed a lot of games, but he's averaging 23/6/5/2 with elite efficiency and he's 4th in WS/48, 3rd in BPM and (despite only playing 23 games) 8th in VORP.

I would put him ahead of FVV, certainly, and probably ahead of Luka, who it feels like isn't having a great start to the season.
    Butler is a good call. His contributions given the fewer games played is certainly noteworthy. I also think it is pretty impressive how he continues to have such an impact as an NBA wing player without an effective 3pt shot. Down to 25% from 3pt range this year, but still so dominant overall.

Jokic
    Curry
    Durant
    Giannis
    LeBron
    Gobert
    Embiid
    Morant
    DeRozan
    VanVleet
    This, only Doncic should be in there somewhere
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 01-07-2022 at 03:08 PM.

He may have forgot to put Doncic in there but FVV has been playing out of his mind and is on the list rightfully so. Itís ok to admit you havenít watched him much this year.

As a Raptors fan, it probably isn't too far outside the box for me . Whether it is bias, or the fact that I watch all of his games, I'm certainly influenced differently than the average NBA fan. But if we are talking "this season" and looking at the numbers (objectively), it isn't at all out of place to have him in the conversation.
    Itís not bias. Youíve just watch him more than other have this years. Heís having a lights out season.

I think he went on a stretch of the last 5 games with out a single turnover. Analytics and efficiency def point to him being a top 10 player in the span. He needs to sustain it though.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post

Problem with butler over the last few seasons has always been health / injuries. Other wise I agree with you, when he plays he is a top 10 talent. 💯

My first stab at MVP voting would be Giannis, Jokic, Durant, Curry, LeBron, Gobert, Donovan, Paul, Butler and Embiid. Some close calls were Doncic, Morant, VanVleet, Trae, DeRozan and LaVine.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    He may have forgot to put Doncic in there but FVV has been playing out of his mind and is on the list rightfully so. Itís ok to admit you havenít watched him much this year.
    Doncic isn't even in the top 20 in win shares, value over replacement player or PER. He's 9th in box plus-minus. He's putting up big stats, but that's not enough to reward a guy who's kind of phoning it in so far.
    As for VanVleet, he's playing great. But Paul's been the maestro for the best team in the NBA and is still one of the most statistically productive players and surgical closers.
    Edit: Paul's also got a 4.4 assist-to-turnover ratio while leading the NBA in assists. There is no better floor general in the NBA.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 01-12-2022 at 11:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast