Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Okay, I didnít really think it was necessary. Canesco, Thomas, Martinez, Molitor, Dave Winfield, etc, etc.

Hereís the thing. A DH only hits. So if you wanna put one in that wasnít even a very good hitter, you need to put in literally every single position player with better stats, since, they could have easily had just as good stats as a DH. Also, how do you put a DH in the hall that never even hit 30 dingers in a season?
    ^^^^

Hall Of Fame Thread

Okay, I didnít really think it was necessary. Canesco, Thomas, Martinez, Molitor, Dave Winfield, etc, etc.

Hereís the thing. A DH only hits. So if you wanna put one in that wasnít even a very good hitter, you need to put in literally every single position player with better stats, since, they could have easily had just as good stats as a DH. Also, how do you put a DH in the hall that never even hit 30 dingers in a season?
    Because he had the most PAs at DH when he retired, duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Try 30

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    You are right. My bad. Baines did not retire this year...LOL
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Who ****ing cares. He was simply an ok hitter. If he hadn't played for the Sox you wouldn't give him a vote. You think Davis deserves some votes?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    The Hall of Fame is for the best players. Baines was that. You don't feel the best deserve to be in. That's on you.

btw, Chili didn't become a DH until 1991. He's more an OF than a DH.
    Last edited by brett05; 01-18-2022 at 08:49 AM.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Only because of accumulation. Iíll dig around but Iíd feel confident he had the post PAs at DH than anyone else in those 30 years prior when they retired.

Youíre basically saying since he was the first to get a lot of PAs at DH he should get in.
    I have zero issue with longevity. That's a massive positive, not a negative. Baseball weeds out the lesser.

So no list. Thanks. None were retired and none were a DH. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    I have zero issue with longevity. That's a massive positive, not a negative. Baseball weeds out the lesser.
    Longevity isnít the issue. Youíre just ok giving it to the guy who when retired accumulated the highest number of PAs at DH.

Youíre saying a guy is HOF worthy only because he amassed a lot of PAs at DH.

As for weeding out the others. It was really only a 10-15 year span where you had a full time DH. A lot of teams prior and after that donít even use a full time DH.

If Baines was a fantastic hitter as well itíd be a different story, he just didnít produce enough offensive value to warrant HOF status regardless of his PAs.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Hall Of Fame Thread

So no list. Thanks. None were retired and none were a DH. Thanks again.
    Baines had 6618 PAs at DH when he retired after the 2001 season.

Conseco retired the same year with 3730 PAs at DH.

Molitor retired after 98 with 5338 PAs at DH.

Martinez retired 3 seasons later (before Baines wouldíve even been eligible) with 6218 PAs at DH.

These are guys who were tremendously better hitters who added value outside being a DH but also added enough PAs at DH to warrant comparison.

All Baines did was accumulate more PAs at DH. Thatís all he did. He produced less than what others did with less PAs at DH.
    Last edited by koldjerky; 01-18-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Longevity isnít the issue. Youíre just ok giving it to the guy who when retired accumulated the highest number of PAs at DH.

Youíre saying a guy is HOF worthy only because he amassed a lot of PAs at DH.

As for weeding out the others. It was really only a 10-15 year span where you had a full time DH. A lot of teams prior and after that donít even use a full time DH.

If Baines was a fantastic hitter as well itíd be a different story, he just didnít produce enough offensive value to warrant HOF status regardless of his PAs.
    He did, even though he was interrupted by two strikes and a massive injury. He'd likely have had 3000 hits and to me that's an auto in. Oh, and he was the best at his position. Plain and simple. You can't just put anyone in there. It's a mindset like closer.

I do appreciate your attempts though.

Baines had 6618 PAs at DH when he retired after the 2001 season.

Conseco retired the same year with 3730 PAs at DH.

Molitor retired after 98 with 5338 PAs at DH.

Martinez retired 3 seasons later (before Baines wouldíve even been eligible) with 6218 PAs at DH.

These are guys who were tremendously better hitters who added value outside being a DH but also added enough PAs at DH to warrant comparison.

All Baines did was accumulate more PAs at DH. Thatís all he did. He produced less than what others did with less PAs at DH.
    Bingo.

He did, even though he was interrupted by two strikes and a massive injury. He'd likely have had 3000 hits and to me that's an auto in. Oh, and he was the best at his position. Plain and simple. You can't just put anyone in there. It's a mindset like closer.

This **** is too funny.

Itís not even close to a mindset of a closer.

Do you think itís harder to focus on just hitting or hitting and fielding?

All youíre doing is focusing on his PAs for a reason heís worthy of the HOF. He has the 37th most PAs of all time. He has the lowest fWAR out of them. There are 86 players whoíve amassed more than 10000 career PAs. He ranks 57th in offensive production.

If we want to go even further to when he was elected (2019), there were 68 players with over 10000 career PAs. He was the 45th ranked at that time.

Heís a product of PAs and even with them, he wasnít really good.

Itís not even close to a mindset of a closer.

Do you think itís harder to focus on just hitting or hitting and fielding?

All youíre doing is focusing on his PAs for a reason heís worthy of the HOF. He has the 37th most PAs of all time. He has the lowest fWAR out of them. There are 86 players whoíve amassed more than 10000 career PAs. He ranks 57th in offensive production.

If we want to go even further to when he was elected (2019), there were 68 players with over 10000 career PAs. He was the 45th ranked at that time.

Heís a product of PAs and even with them, he wasnít really good.
    The folks that play the game say it, not me. It's hard for them to just sit there and not be actively participating sans 4 pa's a game. It's a special mindset just like the last three outs of a game.

As I said, he'd likely have 3000 hits if it weren't for two strikes.

If only it was possible to talk some sense in to this guy.

The folks that play the game say it, not me. It's hard for them to just sit there and not be actively participating sans 4 pa's a game. It's a special mindset just like the last three outs of a game.

As I said, he'd likely have 3000 hits if it weren't for two strikes.
    They do?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast