Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 279
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    Depends. In this case, no, since many other players deserve to be in the HoF instead of him. Jose Bautisa is close in HR, WAR, had a higher OPS and wRC+. What's really bad for Baines' case is that he played greater 1000 more games than Bautista and he was only able to produce like 3-4 more WAR and only hit 40 more home runs.

    He was a good player, but not HoF worthy. Whether he was the best at his position at the time of his retirement is irrelevant.
    It's not irrelevant if you feel the best players belong and Baines was the best DH.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think projection can be done though.

    He was the most accomplished DH at the time of his retirement but Edgar Martinez, Frank Thomas, Paul Molitor all had less at bats at DH (although a significant amount of at bats between them) and they were either out producing or very close to it.

    If he was far and away better than anyone at DH at that time Id be more inclined to agree with him being in even though his numbers are less than some DHs/hitters now. All he really had was more PAs at DH than everyone else really.
    There's a reason folks aren't inducted until 5 years after playing.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Only a White Sox fan...

    Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    Fans of other teams also believe the best should be in.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Fans of other teams also believe the best should be in.
    I agree. Only the best should be in -- which is why I say that Harold Baines was a marginal choice to be elected to the Hall. His stats are not Hall of Fame worthy, in my opinion. When I saw him play, I thought he was a good player, but never a Hall of Famer like Reggie Jackson or Rod Carew.
    Harold Baines led the league in Slugging Percentage in 1984. Other than that, he had no league-leader stats.
    Baines was nowhere near the "best" DH.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    8,531
    I always thought Torii Hunter was a better ballplayer than Baines was. His career WAR was 50.7. He won 8 gold gloves and was considered to be an excellent defender throughout his career. He is in jeopardy of falling off the ballot this year.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I agree. Only the best should be in -- which is why I say that Harold Baines was a marginal choice to be elected to the Hall. His stats are not Hall of Fame worthy, in my opinion. When I saw him play, I thought he was a good player, but never a Hall of Famer like Reggie Jackson or Rod Carew.
    Harold Baines led the league in Slugging Percentage in 1984. Other than that, he had no league-leader stats.
    Baines was nowhere near the "best" DH.
    You haven't show one single candidate that was better when Baines retired. By definition, he's the best at that moment.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    You haven't show one single candidate that was better when Baines retired. By definition, he's the best at that moment.
    That is not the point. I have not looked at all of the DHs in the AL at the point where Baines retired. I'm simply saying that his career stats do not warrant his election to the Hall of Fame, in my opinion. He is in the Hall and won't be removed, however. Others thought he was worthy.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    63,302
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Fans of other teams also believe the best should be in.
    Then they'd agree that Baines induction was a major stretch.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    63,302
    This may or may not be of any interest to those following the conversation:

    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2001-12-31

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    That is not the point. I have not looked at all of the DHs in the AL at the point where Baines retired. I'm simply saying that his career stats do not warrant his election to the Hall of Fame, in my opinion. He is in the Hall and won't be removed, however. Others thought he was worthy.
    But that is the point. The best at their positions should be in. When he retired, he was #1.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    63,302
    So by that logic, if MLB created a new type of major player role for the '22 season, some mediocre veteran stepped in to that role, was the best at it in the league for that season, and then retired at the end of the '22 season, you'd want their ticket to the HOF punched?



    *lol I almost forgot that you're the same guy that thinks having a DH on the roster is a disadvantage....for the AL teams

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,755
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Who was better at his retirement? He was the best DH at retirement. The best at a regular position deserve to be in the hall of fame. You don't think that is true.
    For the sake of argument, even if he was "the best DH" when he retired, his number fall drastically short of HOF status.

    There are 356 guys with more WAR than Baines. Hell, Lenny Dykstra compiled more WAR than him in half the AB's. Baines even being considered a HOF'er is nonsense.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    24,783
    Andruw Jones
    Scott Rolen
    Billy Wagner

    That would probably be my ballot. Im kind of over all the steroid users and dont want ****** people in the hall. Then again if I use that logic, Jones would be out too.

    So I guess just Rolen and Wagner.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resum

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    45,984
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    There's a reason folks aren't inducted until 5 years after playing.
    But they had the same if not better stats than Raines as DH. Raines just played longer.

    How can you say a guy deserves to be in when his numbers were barely, if at all, better than other guys with less plate appearances?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,209
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    You haven't show one single candidate that was better when Baines retired. By definition, he's the best at that moment.
    Not even close. Many, many better dhs in the same generation.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •