Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Who was better at his retirement? He was the best DH at retirement. The best at a regular position deserve to be in the hall of fame. You don't think that is true.
    Edgar Martinez was still playing when Baines retired. And at that point, Edgar Martinez was the best DH of all time. Baines best seasons came when he was playing the field in the early 80s. I would argue that Baines wouldnít even be in the hall of very good.

But that is the point. The best at their positions should be in. When he retired, he was #1.
    He barely edged out Chili Davis and he had more than 1000 PA more than Davis.

Baines was a pity selection.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Edgar Martinez was still playing when Baines retired. And at that point, Edgar Martinez was the best DH of all time. Baines best seasons came when he was playing the field in the early 80s. I would argue that Baines wouldnít even be in the hall of very good.
    The only argument is Bainís played more at DH. Itís a dumb argument though,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    This may or may not be of any interest to those following the conversation:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2001-12-31
    ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    For the sake of argument, even if he was "the best DH" when he retired, his number fall drastically short of HOF status.

There are 356 guys with more WAR than Baines. Hell, Lenny Dykstra compiled more WAR than him in half the AB's. Baines even being considered a HOF'er is nonsense.
    You can't cross compare positions. It's not done. Sorry.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    But they had the same if not better stats than Raines as DH. Raines just played longer.

How can you say a guy deserves to be in when his numbers were barely, if at all, better than other guys with less plate appearances?
    his numbers at retirement was #1 If it's by a touch or a ton, it's still his crown and worth of induction. It's a position that was around for nearly 50 years at his retirement.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Not even close. Many, many better dhís in the same generation.
    Your list has shown exactly zero which is my point. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    He barely edged out Chili Davis and he had more than 1000 PA more than Davis.

Baines was a pity selection.

So you admit no one better. Thanks.

his numbers at retirement was #1 If it's by a touch or a ton, it's still his crown and worth of induction. It's a position that was around for nearly 50 years at his retirement.
    Try 30

So you admit no one better. Thanks.
    Who ****ing cares. He was simply an ok hitter. If he hadn't played for the Sox you wouldn't give him a vote. You think Davis deserves some votes?

You can't cross compare positions. It's not done. Sorry.
    Yeah you can....and DH is about as low value as they come.

You're just full of nonsense.

Try nearly 30 years. We get that you simply like Baines are are glad he was inducted. You should just say that though, as your reasoning for his induction continues to be utter nonsense.

Hall Of Fame Thread

Only because of accumulation. Iíll dig around but Iíd feel confident he had the post PAs at DH than anyone else in those 30 years prior when they retired.

Youíre basically saying since he was the first to get a lot of PAs at DH he should get in.
    Last edited by koldjerky; 01-15-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Actually it was 28 seasons. Of which he had played 22 of them. You have proven that you donít really even know what youíre speaking on.

Your list has shown exactly zero which is my point. Thanks.
    Okay, I didnít really think it was necessary. Canesco, Thomas, Martinez, Molitor, Dave Winfield, etc, etc.

Hereís the thing. A DH only hits. So if you wanna put one in that wasnít even a very good hitter, you need to put in literally every single position player with better stats, since, they could have easily had just as good stats as a DH. Also, how do you put a DH in the hall that never even hit 30 dingers in a season?

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast