Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Moved up the defensive spectrum at 34 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Racing View Post
    Not sure where you're going with that statement. Both Ron Santo and Scott Rolen are among the all-time games played at 3rd Base.
    Santo is a bordeline case. It took multiple rule changes to get him in.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Hes a Top 10 Third Baseman of All-Time. Maybe borderline in that hes not Mike Schmidt.

The evolution of those rule changes helped Baines get in.

I will simply say at Harold's retirement Frank was not a DH. Nor was Edgar.
    I almost spit out my coffee while reading this. Are you just trolling now or just don't watch baseball?

Edgar Martinez played in 2055 games in his career. So if you multiply those games by 9 innings that's roughly 18,495 innings Edgar played. Not taking into account extra innings or games he might've left early. Out of those innings he played 4,605.1 in the field, so simple math would say he played DH 75% of his career as a DH. His last full season playing the field was in 1992 and he retired in 2004, so he played the last 12 years of his career as a DH.

Harold played 2830 games, multiply that by 9 innings and that's roughly 25,470 innings. Harold played 8,953.2 innings in the field, so that would put Harold at DH 65% of his career.

Frank Thomas was at DH 60% of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post
    I almost spit out my coffee while reading this. Are you just trolling now or just don't watch baseball?

Edgar Martinez played in 2055 games in his career. So if you multiply those games by 9 innings that's roughly 18,495 innings Edgar played. Not taking into account extra innings or games he might've left early. Out of those innings he played 4,605.1 in the field, so simple math would say he played DH 75% of his career as a DH. His last full season playing the field was in 1992 and he retired in 2004, so he played the last 12 years of his career as a DH.

Harold played 2830 games, multiply that by 9 innings and that's roughly 25,470 innings. Harold played 8,953.2 innings in the field, so that would put Harold at DH 65% of his career.

Career vs at retirement. I am so sorry you keep missing/ignoring that.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

At retirement, Baines was coming off 3 seasons of negative value to his team. He held on too long and, unfortunately, cost his teams games. His career WAR was just over half of the average for a RF (which is how he is considered by the Hall) 38.7 - 71.1. His 7 year peak was 21.4 as opposed to 42.4 for the average RF.
    For his career, his average WAR was 2.2. 2.0 is considered the baseline for a starting player. 5 is all star, 8 is MVP. In his career, his highest WAR for a season was 4.3 and he only had one other 3+ WAR season.
    As I said, he was a good player. I would have been happy to have him on my team. He was never the best player on his team and was a marginal candidate for the Hall.

Santo's peak, career, and average WAR were above the average for the 3Bs in the Hall.
    Stop with the sour grapes, Brett. This entire discussion reminds me of your insistence that Jose Quintana was a top 5 pitcher in baseball. He was not, Baines was not the best DH in baseball at any time and Ron Santo was definitely a Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSox_05 View Post

I figured brett05 was way off in his analysis but also figured that there's no use trying to talk sense in to him. Thanks for sharing these stats and confirming what I assumed was true.

Career vs at retirement. I am so sorry you keep missing/ignoring that.
    You have a really difficult time admitting that you are wrong. You've been caught sharing false information numerous times on this topic now.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Santo's peak, career, and average WAR were above the average for the 3Bs in the Hall.
    Stop with the sour grapes, Brett. This entire discussion reminds me of your insistence that Jose Quintana was a top 5 pitcher in baseball. He was not, Baines was not the best DH in baseball at any time and Ron Santo was definitely a Hall of Famer.
    Did you just use a term that didn't even exist until what like 1992? Lovely.

I am going to ignore the rabbit trail you have created but go have fun with that.

The FACT is at retirement, no one was better at DH than Harold Baines. Your feelings and $10 gets you a Venti at Starbucks with a nice tip for the barista.

There ya go, brett05. Just casually hand wave away anything that obliterates your laughably weak argument(s).

Did you just use a stat that can be calculated retroactively and that every single front office uses these days to determine a players value

I can't believe this discussion is still happening.

brett05 must just be trolling.

In brett05's world, he's always right; regardless of basic logic, well presented arguments, or actual facts. It's almost fascinating in a way.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Nvm. But boy Brett is quite the..not sure what to call it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast