Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Looks like bonds and clemens are gonna get in too

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    They both should have been unanimous first ballot HOFers. The fact that it's taken this long is ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    They both should have been unanimous first ballot HOFers. The fact that it's taken this long is ridiculous.

Despite their current vote tallies, neither are likely to make it in.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

Sure on paper but they are unlikable people who also cheated. Idc anymore personally but you can understand why they are not in canít you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ortiz doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, especially if there's no Bonds or Clemons. 55 WAR just shouldn't cut it.

Hopefully Rolen gets in eventually.

Also, to all those people who hate the voting system, the alternative is committees. Look at some of the names they've put in the past few years (Morris, Baines). I prefer the press do it.
    Last edited by LechWalesa; 01-12-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    Ortiz doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, especially if there's no Bonds or Clemons. 55 WAR just shouldn't cut it.

Also, to all those people who hate the voting system, the alternative is committees. Look at some of the names they've put in the past few years (Morris, Baines). I prefer the press do it.
    Morris was dominate in the spotlight.
    Baines retired as the best DH in the game.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Morris was dominate in the spotlight.
    Baines retired as the best DH in the game.
    Both would be left out for me.

Ortiz belongs in with the rest of the cheaters but not before bonds,Clemens,arod

Ortiz was at his best in the biggest games. His OPS of 1.372 in 14 world series games is pretty impressive. He was beloved in Boston. He was respected everywhere.
    Morris was among the best pitchers in the game over the entire decade of the 1980's. He led the AL in wins with 160 and had a winning percentage of 57.6. His WAR was 30.4 during that decade. He was not perhaps the quality of Spahn, Koufax, Seaver, Ryan or Maddux, but he was an excellent pitcher.
    I won't disagree that Baines was a marginal selection, but he was voted in. There are many players with far better stats than he had that are not in the Hall.
    I agree with you on Rolen. He was a great ballplayer that, unfortunately, was overshadowed by others that played in his era. His stats were better than the average 3B in the Hall. He was not as good as Robinson, Brett or Schmidt, but no one else was either.
    And, by the way, the alternate committees are there to allow peers to vote on players. This is a chance for them to have a say as to who they thought the Hall of Famers were during their time playing. It will likely be the only way that Clemens and Bonds will ever get in the Hall (and I think that they certainly have the numbers to do so).
    Last edited by catman; 01-12-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Let me also say that I think that had Bonds and Clemens both retired in 2000, they would both have been enshrined in 2005. Their problems occurred in the 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Both would be left out for me.

Ortiz belongs in with the rest of the cheaters but not before bonds,Clemens,arod

Then the Hall is not for the best for you.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, natepro, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I won't disagree that Baines was a marginal selection, but he was voted in. There are many players with far better stats than he had that are not in the Hall.
    Then for you as well, the best players don't belong. No one was better than Baines at retirement. Seems to me a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Then for you as well, the best players don't belong. No one was better than Baines at retirement. Seems to me a no-brainer.
    38.7 rWAR
    38.4 fWAR
    fewer than 3000 hits
    fewer than 400 home runs
    SB:CS ration of 1:1
    he played for the better part of 21 seasons

He's an accumulator that happened to be popular enough among his peers that they elected him into the HoF for reasons that boggle the mind.

Yeah, Baines definitely shouldn't have gotten in.

Why am I not the least bit surprised about brett05's stance on this?

38.7 rWAR
    38.4 fWAR
    fewer than 3000 hits
    fewer than 400 home runs
    SB:CS ration of 1:1
    he played for the better part of 21 seasons

He's an accumulator that happened to be popular enough among his peers that they elected him into the HoF for reasons that boggle the mind.
    His numbers were the best ever at the DH spot. Shouldn't the best get in?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast