Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    A trade in general might be a long shot but with the Bucs you never know. The Vikings can eat more money to make a deal work with any team. The Bucs or any other team could extend him to lower the 2022 cap hit. According to spotrac the Bucs will recoup 16 million of his signing bonus if Brady retires after 2021. His contract is pretty confusing so I'm not entirely sure how the cap will be effected if he retires. The Bucs internal options are Blaine Gabbert and Kyle Trask. If the Bucs still think they are SB contenders I doubt they'll want to go into 2022 with Gabbert or Trask starting.
    Oh yeah. Anything can happen
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Curious.

If Kirk was making $10 mil less than he is, would you all still hate him as much?

I think he's a very good QB and absolutely someone you can win a super bowl with. My only beef w him is his overpaid contract. That's the main thing that holds us back imo, not actually Kirk himself.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Curious.

If Kirk was making $10 mil less than he is, would you all still hate him as much?

I think he's a very good QB and absolutely someone you can win a super bowl with. My only beef w him is his overpaid contract. That's the main thing that holds us back imo, not actually Kirk himself.

10 mil is a solid amount but to me he is probably worth a little less looking at it cap hit wise. I think you can only win a super bowl with him in the perfect situation with like elite defense and great supporting offense. He will not be able to carry a team to wins against good teams at all (we see this in # of playoff teams he has beaten, never beaten a team to make the SB even).

27 mil would be the 11th highest cap hit in the league next year, right above Jimmy G (who is in the type of situation I think Cousins would need with their D and Deebo/run game). That would save 18 mi from his 45 mil hit next year. I wouldn't hate him as much if he was making closer to middle of the pack on average and if he chose to take 15 mil or something I would actually like him. Unfortunately he is old and we have to pay up for pushing cap down the road this season so I just don't see the point in keeping him around.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 01-26-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Curious.

Thats exactly it, we arent doing better than him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

One thing that would 'update' my thoughts on Cousins is.....how much of his risk aversion tactics have been hammered on him by coaches who will now be replaced...and how much is just Kirk being Kirk? I mean, if he's allowed to open things up, take more risks, does he become a better QB? Or just throw more picks....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Curious.

Eh Kirk isn't the main problem but he is part of it. Regardless of his contract, he is definitely part of our issues. Inconsistent play and a lack of leadership. Our defense takes a lot of the flak for missing the playoffs but the offense, including Kirk, was also an issue. Consider this:

7 points vs CIN through 2 1/2 quarters
    0 second half TDs vs ARZ, SEA, CLE, DET, DAL
    0 first half TDs vs DET and LAR
    Kene Nwangwu had more TDs (2) against SF and BAL in the second half than Cousins did (1)

Our record was 2-8 during these games.

This offenses ability to look unstoppable one minute and then terrible the next was very frustrating. Then add on the leadership issues. Kirk blamed the time out fiasco against Dallas before half on Zimmer, saying "I just let Zim handle the timeouts". Then the issue with the missed pass protection in OT against the Ravens. I can't find the quote but he said something along the lines of he just puts his trust in his OL to make the calls. Everything I read suggests that was an easy call for a QB to make. I'm not saying the guy should take responsibility for every little thing that goes wrong but those were a few moments for me where you could tell this guy has no initiative. I mean this past weekend in the playoffs Joe Burrow was out there changing plays at the LOS all game and even had a situation where his head set broke and he had to call plays on his own. Mahomes and Kelce were out there changing play calls on that final drive to get in FG range. Kirk gives off the "I just work here" vibes rather than having that killer instinct to just go out there and make plays. I don't think Cousins will ever become the guy, I think he'll always just be a company man.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 01-27-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    2022 Vikings Draft:
    1: Lewis Cine S Georgia
    2: Andrew Booth Jr. CB Clemson
    2: Ed Ingram G LSU
    3: Brian Asamoah LB Oklahoma
    4: Akayleb Evans CB Missouri
    5: Esezi Otomewo DL Minnesota
    5: Ty Chandler RB UNC
    6: Vederian Lowe OT Illinois
    6: Jalen Nailor WR Michigan State
    7: Nick Muse TE South Carolina

Eh Kirk isn't the main problem but he is part of it. Regardless of his contract, he is definitely part of our issues. Inconsistent play and a lack of leadership. Our defense takes a lot of the flak for missing the playoffs but the offense, including Kirk, was also an issue. Consider this:

Kene Nwangwu had more TDs (2) against SF and BAL in the second half than Cousins did (1)

This offenses ability to look unstoppable one minute and then terrible the next was very frustrating. Then add on the leadership issues. Kirk blamed the time out fiasco against Dallas before half on Zimmer, saying "I just let Zim handle the timeouts". Then the issue with the missed pass protection in OT against the Ravens. I can't find the quote but he said something along the lines of he just puts his trust in his OL to make the calls. Everything I read suggests that was an easy call for a QB to make. I'm not saying the guy should take responsibility for every little thing that goes wrong but those were a few moments for me where you could tell this guy has no initiative. I mean this past weekend in the playoffs Joe Burrow was out there changing plays at the LOS all game and even had a situation where his head set broke and he had to call plays on his own. Mahomes and Kelce were out there changing play calls on that final drive to get in FG range. Kirk gives off the "I just work here" vibes rather than having that killer instinct to just go out there and make plays. I don't think Cousins will ever become the guy, I think he'll always just be a company man.
    Great post

All fair. I'd like to see him get at least one year under a new system just to see if things change. I wonder if that's just who he is, or if part of it was that's how we told him to be.
    The dude has the talent to be a top tier QB. I think a lot of his issues are mental.

Ken Carman said it best … “no matter how many screen shots of stats you tweet, Kirk Cousins is the left over pot roast your dad pulls out of the fridge with hardened wobbly gravy all over that he takes a whiff of and says “come on boy, that there’s good eatin’!”” Poetic …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All fair. I'd like to see him get at least one year under a new system just to see if things change. I wonder if that's just who he is, or if part of it was that's how we told him to be.
    The dude has the talent to be a top tier QB. I think a lot of his issues are mental.

The thing is, the systems he has been in are very QB friendly. Stefanski and Kubiak both run the same Shanahan scheme. I mean Kubiak is the one who originated the scheme with Mike Shanahan in Denver. In Washington he played under Kyle Shanahan (mostly as a back up) and then 2 years starting with McVay as OC. Changing OC's that many times is challenging but he's mostly been surrounded by very bright offensive minds. He's now been in the league for 10 years. This is just who he is.
    2022 Vikings Draft:

I am not as critical on Cousins as most here but I think it is time to move on. This team needs to complete the culture change and having a overpaid QB isnt the answer.

the packer will most likely tag rodgers and then he will ask to be traded or he will retire.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    the packer will most likely tag rodgers and then he will ask to be traded or he will retire.
    he's not a FA, so no tag needed....just another round of what he did last offseason possibly

but, he claims he'll decide whether he'll stay, retire, or push for a trade by mid-March.....the franchise tag issue relating to Rodgers is because he says he'll decide before the Packers decide to tag ADAMS....because the inference is, they're a package deal (i.e. Adams may try and follow Rodgers if he's traded)
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

The thing is, the systems he has been in are very QB friendly. Stefanski and Kubiak both run the same Shanahan scheme. I mean Kubiak is the one who originated the scheme with Mike Shanahan in Denver. In Washington he played under Kyle Shanahan (mostly as a back up) and then 2 years starting with McVay as OC. Changing OC's that many times is challenging but he's mostly been surrounded by very bright offensive minds. He's now been in the league for 10 years. This is just who he is.
    Regardless of the system, we've definitely been a run heavy team with a garbage O line during his time here though.
    I absolutely don't think the way our offense has been run the past few years was set up to benefit the passing game in any way.

Regardless of the system, we've definitely been a run heavy team with a garbage O line during his time here though.
    I absolutely don't think the way our offense has been run the past few years was set up to benefit the passing game in any way.

That's not an issue with the scheme. That was just Zimmer wanting to be run run run. Other than Klint Kubiak the concepts we were running on offense, especially under Stefanski, were beneficial to the pass game. The biggest issues I noticed with Klint Kubiak was we didn't use nearly as much pre snap motion or play action as we did with Stefanski. Everything was very vanilla.
    2022 Vikings Draft:

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast