Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Concerned Yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Yes they can make trades during the lockout.

While im sure handshake deals will happen the MLB seems to care much more about those than they do the samething in IFA.

BTW, i believe u asked a while ago about how the Yanks have deals in place with IFAs so early like they did with Arias. Because the deadline changed from July 2 to sometime in January due to covid, delayed signings in the next 2 groups. Arias is already 17 and would have signed last yr. The kid from Cuba that they have an agreement with for next yr, his name escapes me at the moment, would have been signed July 22. I am under the impression that because of the yr delay the MLB is being more lenient because off that.

During a work stoppage, teams are not permitted to sign free agents, offer contract extensions and renegotiations, waive/option/release players, or conduct trades.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    During a work stoppage, teams are not permitted to sign free agents, offer contract extensions and renegotiations, waive/option/release players, or conduct trades.
    They can however hire and fire coaches and managers.

Sweeny Murti
    @YankeesWFAN

And important to remember this is a lockout by the owners, not a strike by the players.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Sweeny Murti
    @YankeesWFAN

And important to remember this is a lockout by the owners, not a strike by the players.
    Thanks for posting this. It is easy to forget that

Ignorance is bliss

Whatever it is, expect a long lockout. I wouldn't be surprised if this went into February or March with a truncated spring training. Definitely helps the teams making moves after the lockout is over if it goes on that long.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Whatever it is, expect a long lockout. I wouldn't be surprised if this went into February or March with a truncated spring training. Definitely helps the teams making moves after the lockout is over if it goes on that long.
    I wonder what would happen if more players were owners or at least majority stake holders? That would be a nightmare for the old guard.

My guess is the players want to get a deal done ASAP but the owners don't. I think that is for reasons you stated but also because it's a dick waving contest

Ignorance is bliss

I have a feeling this could be a protracted ordeal. Owners are adamant about maintaining the status quo, players clearly want a larger piece of the ever growing revenue pie AND do not want to lose what they have already gained thru collective bargaining. Who blinks first?

Universal DH
    Increase minimum pay
    14 playoff teams
    No loss of picks for signing free agents
    Luxury tax threshold goes to $228 Million (halfway between $210 Million and $246 million)
    Arbitration after 2.5 years (halfway between 2 years and 3 years)
    NBA style Draft Lottery for the first 3 picks
    Free agency after 5 years instead of 6 or at 29.5, whichever comes first
    Pitch clock
    Robot Umpires
    Larger bases with double sized first base
    Infielders must play on the infield dirt
    Consistent baseballs
    Consistent tacki substance for pitchers

Play Ball!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Universal DH
    Increase minimum pay
    14 playoff teams
    No loss of picks for signing free agents
    Luxury tax threshold goes to $228 Million (halfway between $210 Million and $246 million)
    Arbitration after 2.5 years (halfway between 2 years and 3 years)
    NBA style Draft Lottery for the first 3 picks
    Free agency after 5 years instead of 6 or at 29.5, whichever comes first
    Pitch clock
    Robot Umpires
    Larger bases with double sized first base
    Infielders must play on the infield dirt
    Consistent baseballs
    Consistent tacki substance for pitchers

Play Ball!!!!!!!
    That sounds really, really good, excellent post!!!!!

I would add something that stops tanking or add minimum payroll floor around 80m. These teams that cut payroll, or are trying to cut payroll to below 50m shouldn;t be rewarded with top 10 picks, an extra couple comp round picks before the 2nd round and get paid out of the luxury tax pool. There are 4 teams trying to spend 40-50m next yr in a blatant effort to tank to move or rebuild, they shouldn't be rewarded for that. I also hate that the Rays, even though they are always one of the better teams in BB, get that extra comp round pick every yr. Having that extra 1st round pick and extra pool and increased IFA money gives them an extra advantage IMO

Their was a proposal that would have given better picks to the teams that just missed the playoffs. I really wouldn't mind that at all

the 1 other thing i would really like to see is the start doing the WC game like they do in the Nippon league. There the team with the worse record has to win 2 games, the team with the better record only has to win 1. That would take some of the luck out of it. We wouldn't have 88-90 win teams going to the playoffs after winning 1 game and the team that played better for the whole yr would have so advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    That sounds really, really good, excellent post!!!!!

I would add something that stops tanking or add minimum payroll floor around 80m. These teams that cut payroll, or are trying to cut payroll to below 50m shouldn;t be rewarded with top 10 picks, an extra couple comp round picks before the 2nd round and get paid out of the luxury tax pool. There are 4 teams trying to spend 40-50m next yr in a blatant effort to tank to move or rebuild, they shouldn't be rewarded for that. I also hate that the Rays, even though they are always one of the better teams in BB, get that extra comp round pick every yr. Having that extra 1st round pick and extra pool and increased IFA money gives them an extra advantage IMO

Their was a proposal that would have given better picks to the teams that just missed the playoffs. I really wouldn't mind that at all

the 1 other thing i would really like to see is the start doing the WC game like they do in the Nippon league. There the team with the worse record has to win 2 games, the team with the better record only has to win 1. That would take some of the luck out of it. We wouldn't have 88-90 win teams going to the playoffs after winning 1 game and the team that played better for the whole yr would have so advantage.
    I think an $80 million floor is too high to start. I'd go $50 Million and raise it in $5 million increments over 6 years. As for the minimum salary, I'd raise it to $1 million. $1.5 in 2nd year and $2 million in year 3. That in itself would raise the team's salaries. $50 million would be attainable. The salaries would also go up moderately.

Here's one configuration for $50 million:
    $6 million for 6 rookies
    $9 million for 6 2nd year players
    $26 million for 13 three year players and
    $9 million for one home grown player for the fans to idolize

Obviously raising this in $5 million increments would be the way to
    phase it in without hurting teams that much.

My thought is that if they decide not to have the minimum salary after all that, then their pick drops 10 spots in the draft. Plus, with the phase in, they know that they have to improve revenues, whether that means more specialty days, like Saturday night concerts or the A's moving to Las Vegas.

I have always been in favor of the Nippon league WC scenario, because the best team in the league wouldn't lose a one game playoff to the best pitcher in the league or to a Don Larson type that pitches the game of his life.

I don't like giving better picks to the team that just missed the playoffs, because two teams tie and one wins the tiebreaker to make the playoffs and gets crushed by a 108 win team and the loser gets the #1 pick in all of baseball. That almost makes them the winner. I'd rather it was a weighted lottery among the 16 teams out of the playoffs.

I wonder if there is a way to make the luxury tax money only usable for operating costs. What I mean is a team has to open its books completely and show why they need the money. Use the money to keep the employees on the books, keep the maintenance good...

I also think the owners should have a clause that states if a team falls below the floor for 3 consecutive years, they have to sell and if a team hovers around the floor, they have to make the playoffs every 7 years (or so) or be force to sell.
    More competitive and proficient owners means better baseball for all levels.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to make the luxury tax money only usable for operating costs. What I mean is a team has to open its books completely and show why they need the money. Use the money to keep the employees on the books, keep the maintenance good...

I also think the owners should have a clause that states if a team falls below the floor for 3 consecutive years, they have to sell and if a team hovers around the floor, they have to make the playoffs every 7 years (or so) or be force to sell.
    More competitive and proficient owners means better baseball for all levels.
    I agree. I would take it a step further. Contraction not more expansion! The product is already watered down. If a market can not support the franchise, find one that will!

I agree. I would take it a step further. Contraction not more expansion! The product is already watered down. If a market can not support the franchise, find one that will!
    Amen

Ignorance is bliss

You could also have an A group of teams that competes for the World Championship and a B group that plays in their own league if you will. The winner of the league gets to play in the A league playoffs and changes places with the worst team in the A league who gets dropped into the B league the next season. Of course, it would be complicated and they'd never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I think an $80 million floor is too high to start. I'd go $50 Million and raise it in $5 million increments over 6 years. As for the minimum salary, I'd raise it to $1 million. $1.5 in 2nd year and $2 million in year 3. That in itself would raise the team's salaries. $50 million would be attainable. The salaries would also go up moderately.

Here's one configuration for $50 million:
    $6 million for 6 rookies
    $9 million for 6 2nd year players
    $26 million for 13 three year players and
    $9 million for one home grown player for the fans to idolize

Obviously raising this in $5 million increments would be the way to
    phase it in without hurting teams that much.

My thought is that if they decide not to have the minimum salary after all that, then their pick drops 10 spots in the draft. Plus, with the phase in, they know that they have to improve revenues, whether that means more specialty days, like Saturday night concerts or the A's moving to Las Vegas.

I have always been in favor of the Nippon league WC scenario, because the best team in the league wouldn't lose a one game playoff to the best pitcher in the league or to a Don Larson type that pitches the game of his life.

I don't like giving better picks to the team that just missed the playoffs, because two teams tie and one wins the tiebreaker to make the playoffs and gets crushed by a 108 win team and the loser gets the #1 pick in all of baseball. That almost makes them the winner. I'd rather it was a weighted lottery among the 16 teams out of the playoffs.
    While i get your point, if you raise the minimum, it would be incredibly difficult to put a team on the field for 50m. Thats 25 specs that you would need to develop every 3yrs to make that work and thats would be almost impossible. If you can develop 10 MLB caliber players every 3yrs thats doing a pretty good job developing in your system. Even the Rays thats are the best in baseball in spec development don't develop specs at that rate.

If they expand the playoffs to 14, I wouldn't mind a draft lottery, especially if it included the all the teams that missed the playoff. Make it weighted to improve the odds of the team with the worst record. Your not going to see teams with 90 wins missing the playoffs if they expand it to 14. A lottery would probably curb some tanking because like in the NBA, just because you have the worst record doesn't mean u are guaranteed the top pick.

One of the biggest things the players are fighting for is mid tier FA making more. I read an article yesterday that said mid teir FA's salaries, or what would have been class B type players, have dropped 50% in the last 10 yrs. Your only going to make teams even more dependent on young players

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast