Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do the Yankees need more left-handed hitters?

Do the Yankees need more left-handed hitters?
    Lack of run scoring was an issue last season, but was the teamís performance against right handed pitching a problem?

By Jon Rimmer@thetrainingrim Nov 21, 2021, 8:00am EST

Many people felt that the lack of production from left-handed batters was an issue for the team. If youíve read my articles before, then you know I was rather dismissive of that assessment (those who were around me privately will tell you I was more than dismissive in that context). To me, the explanation just seemed too easy to fall back upon. Regardless of how long youíve been a Yankee fan, youíve been hearing some version of ďshort porch, left-handed power, etc.,Ē forever. The idea also conveniently ignored the fact the Yankees led MLB in runs per game from 2019-2020 with next to no help from left-handed bats.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/...reddie-freeman

Sell the Team, HAL!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I don't think I like him as a writer. I think he is wrong, period. Not, as he said, "sort of". (I wonder if he used to post here under the name of a former yankee catcher)

I don't think he mentioned changing the pitchers eye line, position on the rubber or pitch selection in there. That is extremely important.
    He negates his own point when he comments about the yankees needing lefty bats that pound righty pitching but dismisses Gallo, who he stated, does just that. By his theory, Gallo is a great fit.

The Yankees need more lefties and more contact oriented hitters. They need more guys who can run.

Thanks for posting Doc. I just find op-eds like this to be arrogant and foolish. You are going to right a piece on why you aren't completely wrong about something? Hip hip...

Ignorance is bliss

Clown, I disagreed with him as well, generally. I posted to stimulate discussion. Yankees do need more LHed bats, but not necessarily for reasons he describes.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Clown, I disagreed with him as well, generally. I posted to stimulate discussion. Yankees do need more LHed bats, but not necessarily for reasons he describes.
    I am very grateful you post this stuff. I think it does create interaction.

In no way was I shooting the messenger, so I hope it didn't seem that way.

I agree with you. Nothing he said in his own defense made sense to me.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I am very grateful you post this stuff. I think it does create interaction.

In no way was I shooting the messenger, so I hope it didn't seem that way.

I agree with you. Nothing he said in his own defense made sense to me.
    No problem. Didn't think you were.

A lot of the Yankee blog stuff lately are opinion pieces, some better than others. Some researched and well written as well as thought out, other leave much to be desired. I have no issue with opinions, just substantiate the claim with well reasoned argument and fact.
    Last edited by drt1010; 11-22-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Sell the Team, HAL!

More good LH hitters would be nice, but they don't need to force it just for the sake of having a LH hitter. I'll still take a good RH hitter over an average LH hitter but it is nice for lineup balance and pitching matchups late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    More good LH hitters would be nice, but they don't need to force it just for the sake of having a LH hitter. I'll still take a good RH hitter over an average LH hitter but it is nice for lineup balance and pitching matchups late in the game.

I agree that just getting lefties isn't the answer.

To me, good would be nice but I would go as far as saying, the same quality or better to a current hitter.
    A lefty bat who played third that hit as well as Gio? I would take him over Gio for this lineup.
    I would say the same goes for Torres and Sanchez.
    If you changed out those 3 with lefty bats who were the same skill level, I believe the lineup would be very, different.

Ignorance is bliss

I agree that just getting lefties isn't the answer.

To me, good would be nice but I would go as far as saying, the same quality or better to a current hitter.
    A lefty bat who played third that hit as well as Gio? I would take him over Gio for this lineup.
    I would say the same goes for Torres and Sanchez.
    If you changed out those 3 with lefty bats who were the same skill level, I believe the lineup would be very, different.

They could find some good RH batters that pull the ball to right field.

Seriously LH batters at home can be a plus, but a good RH bat doesn't hurt. Just need to learn to go the other way and not be pulling everything. I actually have a thing for switch hitters. N0 comments needed. LOL
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post

Seriously LH batters at home can be a plus, but a good RH bat doesn't hurt. Just need to learn to go the other way and not be pulling everything. I actually have a thing for switch hitters. N0 comments needed. LOL
    you need good lh not guys like gallo who hit 160 as a yankee or a past it lb in rizzo.. or you can get good rh who hit the ball to right a lot like correa.. correa hit balls to right in the playoffs that would have easily been out at yankee stadium..

I think itís more important than ever before with pitchers being forced to face three batters. Having a lefty to break up judge and Stanton just makes the lineup that much harder to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    I think itís more important than ever before with pitchers being forced to face three batters. Having a lefty to break up judge and Stanton just makes the lineup that much harder to navigate.
    Big time. Between them, before and after them

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post

Switch hitters can pull it either way

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    Hmmm, Seager would look awfully nice in between them.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Hmmm, Seager would look awfully nice in between them.

Yes he would. This would be a dream lineup and there's only one trade
    Reynolds
    Judge
    Seager
    Stanton
    Rizzo
    DJ
    Sanchez
    Gallo
    Torres

Ignorance is bliss

Yes he would. This would be a dream lineup and there's only one trade
    Reynolds
    Judge
    Seager
    Stanton
    Rizzo
    DJ
    Sanchez
    Gallo
    Torres
    not for 250 million he would not be for a soon to be 3b he has not even hit 30 home runs or driven in 90 in any season of his career..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast