Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Agreed. One good thing about Eppler, if he wants a guy he gets the guy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Yup.

My only concern is the commitments to a lot of older guys. I think the Mets need to trade for a young player like Adam Frazier - somebody who isnít a star but is a very good hitter and has a lot of overall value.

I think Whitt Merrifield or Ryan McMahon should be reasonable trade targets. I think the Mets could pull that off just by trading Davis (or flipping Davis for prospects and flipping those prospects) and another player like Cortes or Palmer.

Both offer versatility and would be good compliments/insurance to McNeil. Both also provide speed and plus defense.

Iíd use the remaining budget to get a very good reliever and a solid starter. Donít shut off trades just yet.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Yup.

My only concern is the commitments to a lot of older guys. I think the Mets need to trade for a young player like Adam Frazier - somebody who isnít a star but is a very good hitter and has a lot of overall value.

I think Whitt Merrifield or Ryan McMahon should be reasonable trade targets. I think the Mets could pull that off just by trading Davis (or flipping Davis for prospects and flipping those prospects) and another player like Cortes or Palmer.

Both offer versatility and would be good compliments/insurance to McNeil. Both also provide speed and plus defense.

Iíd use the remaining budget to get a very good reliever and a solid starter. Donít shut off trades just yet.
    Adam Frazier isn't necessarily young. He'll be 30 in 2 weeks and the Mets essentially got a better version of Merrifield and McMahon in Escobar. You can find those type of guys in FA if need be. Frazier sucked in San Diego fwiw and before then was in the midst of a career year. He's another McNeil type with more defensive versatility but a significantly lower ceiling with the bat.

I agree the Mets need more versatility but that goes hand in hand with acquiring better depth. Those guys exist on the open market right now. Nothing they need to trade even lower end prospects for.

Right now, the Mets need another SP, a couple of bullpen pieces and it would be nice to re-sign Baez. If they don't, there are plenty of solid utility INF/4th and 5th OF out there to round out the depth.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-30-2021 at 12:03 AM.

I honestly wonder what Whit Merrifield would cost... He's super cost controlled, has amazing speed, and is a general positive player. I feel he would have to cost more than JD Davis. Yes he's 32 so on older side, but that game plays

All good options for the front office now. Trades and lower end free agents are what they need to look at but if it gets to the point where certain players who are still viewed as starters (such as McNeil and maybe Smith - even Davis as a DH), I think one or 2 of those can be traded to bring in some pitching.

I also think the Mets ought to take a look at a catcher. Nido is a backup and Mazeika is not a catcher really. That's all we have on the 40 man behind McCann who seemed to wear down the more he was used last year. When he was with the White Sox, Grandal caught at least half the games. The Mets don't need to go crazy with another catcher since Alvarez might be here as early as 2023. I think McCann will still be here so that could be a good transition from McCann to Alvarez. So Mazeika is another trade possibility but not sure what we would get in return.

The Mets do need to make some moves to clear room for the new FAs. I would think Blankenhorn might be one casualty and then guys like Gsellman and other pitchers currently on the 40. Give Robert a chance to find a new home now.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Adam Frazier isn't necessarily young. He'll be 30 in 2 weeks and the Mets essentially got a better version of Merrifield and McMahon in Escobar. You can find those type of guys in FA if need be. Frazier sucked in San Diego fwiw and before then was in the midst of a career year. He's another McNeil type with more defensive versatility but a significantly lower ceiling with the bat.

I agree the Mets need more versatility but that goes hand in hand with acquiring better depth. Those guys exist on the open market right now. Nothing they need to trade even lower end prospects for.

Right now, the Mets need another SP, a couple of bullpen pieces and it would be nice to re-sign Baez. If they don't, there are plenty of solid utility INF/4th and 5th OF out there to round out the depth.
    Frazier was just an example of the type of player I would target. Not even necessarily his skill set. You can sort of find those guys in free agency but is anyone really expecting more than a 1 to 2 win season from Escobar? Itís better to supplement that with other guys who can play the position at a plus value.

They have plenty of good guys to round out the depth but I would also like more certainty and in another aspect, guaranteed hitting.

Somebody like Schwarber would be awesome if there was a DH, I think the Mets need a good LH bat in the middle of the orderÖsomebody like Conforto, lol. I think the team runs the risk of being too RH heavy, with Nimmo being the only good bat from the left side. Escobar and Lindor are better from the right side. McNeil could bounce back but even then, the Mets lack LH power.

I donít think there are too many difference making left handed bats that would fit this team at this point, though. McMahon and Merrifield are hardly good hitters but are good baseball players that provide insurance. Not many LH 3B or 2B out there, and outfield is pretty much set. As it stands, Dom and Plummer are the backups and that doesnít inspire much confidence, especially if players get injured. Lee is further down the ladder, as well.

I think signing a Corey Dickerson type would be a good idea as well.

Wouldnít be against the Mets swinging a trade with the Athletics, using guys like JD, Dom, Alex Ramirez, and Palmer (maybe even Peterson) in a trade with the Athletics for Manaea and Tony Kemp.

I donít think Baez is the answer, tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I honestly wonder what Whit Merrifield would cost... He's super cost controlled, has amazing speed, and is a general positive player. I feel he would have to cost more than JD Davis. Yes he's 32 so on older side, but that game plays

Yeah he would cost more than JD but I think outside of McNeil, JD has the most trade value out of the Mets ML players (thatís likely to be moved)

Mauricio should be dangled for a guy like Chapman or Marte

JD + Alex Ramirez should entice some teams that arenít looking to completely tear down but are retooling in a senseÖAís and Rays are always doing that. Three team deals also sound pretty interesting in dealing JD, as well.

I think JD would be a good fit for Tampa, too. JD for Wendle and Yarborough sounds pretty fair, also.

Iím just spitballing ideas, here.

I also think Ian Happ would be a marvelous fit for the team.

Frazier was just an example of the type of player I would target. Not even necessarily his skill set. You can sort of find those guys in free agency but is anyone really expecting more than a 1 to 2 win season from Escobar? Itís better to supplement that with other guys who can play the position at a plus value.

They have plenty of good guys to round out the depth but I would also like more certainty and in another aspect, guaranteed hitting.

Somebody like Schwarber would be awesome if there was a DH, I think the Mets need a good LH bat in the middle of the orderÖsomebody like Conforto, lol. I think the team runs the risk of being too RH heavy, with Nimmo being the only good bat from the left side. Escobar and Lindor are better from the right side. McNeil could bounce back but even then, the Mets lack LH power.

I donít think there are too many difference making left handed bats that would fit this team at this point, though. McMahon and Merrifield are hardly good hitters but are good baseball players that provide insurance. Not many LH 3B or 2B out there, and outfield is pretty much set. As it stands, Dom and Plummer are the backups and that doesnít inspire much confidence, especially if players get injured. Lee is further down the ladder, as well.

I think signing a Corey Dickerson type would be a good idea as well.

Wouldnít be against the Mets swinging a trade with the Athletics, using guys like JD, Dom, Alex Ramirez, and Palmer (maybe even Peterson) in a trade with the Athletics for Manaea and Tony Kemp.

I donít think Baez is the answer, tbh.

If the DH comes into play, get Castellanos. **** Schwarber lol. That said, I wouldn't hate Schwarber. The thing is you would be paying him off a career year. The power is real but I don't know if duplicates last season, nor do I know what that is worth in dollar signs. I do agree the Mets could use a middle of the order bat though. Still think that's going to be a bugaboo next year. The Mets are basically relying on Smith and McNeil to bounce back to their 2019/2020 forms and I'm not 100% certain they will.

As for positional player depth, I'm sure the Mets will round that out as they go. That I'm not as concerned with. Right now its about getting another SP, getting more bullpen help and if they can get one more position player that provides the type of offense Baez, Schwarber or Castellanos can give you, great.

Castellanos has a QO attached. Doubt Mets target him.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You know who should feel stupid right now? Stroman.

This whole time heís going off about the Mets on Twitter and doing just stupid *** things to ruin his marketability. Heís essentially taken his potential biggest whale off the table for leverage even if he ended up elsewhere anyway.

The alternative approach could have been him laying low and letting the process play out. Then approaching the whale about a big contract to solidify this staff. Everyone could win in that scenario. Still could happen but it looks doubtful from the Twitter nonsense.

I said all year that the guy is a ****ing head case. His attitude on the field was awful, and his attitude on Twitter is disgusting.

you know Omar wishes he had Steve's financial backing back in the day when he wanted to trade Fernando Martinez for Ichiro and sign Manny Ramirez to play next to Beltran to create a murderer's row lineup but was shut down by Wilpon.

Yeah he would cost more than JD but I think outside of McNeil, JD has the most trade value out of the Mets ML players (thatís likely to be moved)

Mauricio should be dangled for a guy like Chapman or Marte

JD + Alex Ramirez should entice some teams that arenít looking to completely tear down but are retooling in a senseÖAís and Rays are always doing that. Three team deals also sound pretty interesting in dealing JD, as well.

I think JD would be a good fit for Tampa, too. JD for Wendle and Yarborough sounds pretty fair, also.

Iím just spitballing ideas, here.

I would love Chapman on this team . He is the best defensive 3B in the AL and is very close to Arenado and Machado in the NL.

I assume you mean Ketel Marte from the Diamonbacks .

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I would love Chapman on this team . He is the best defensive 3B in the AL and is very close to Arenado and Machado in the NL.

I assume you mean Ketel Marte from the Diamonbacks .
    I wouldn't be surprised if we traded for Chapman with a combo of big league talent (from a pool of Dom, JD, McNeil, Guillorme, Peterson) and a prospect.

The most impressive part of all this is how quickly it all turned around. A short time ago 99% of our angst was over losing Matz and Syndergaard, having no POBO, no manger, etc..

And now, still in November, we've filled major areas of need and essentially have a punch list of needs that can be done now, or we can wait for the market to come to us after the lockout.

Credit to Cohen and Eppler for sure, and as much I hate to say it, Sandy, for whatever role he did or didn't play in the Thanksgiving Week Blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeastfshman View Post
    Seriously... .

Unreal. The market showed the Mets have to vastly over pay for talent, that sucks if it's your money... but that's exactly what they ponied up and did.
    From the looks of it, we "overpaid" more than what several other deep pocketed teams were willing to overpay.

The difference between an overpay and a value signing will be determined by our record.

The Dodgers, for instance, have overpaid their way to nine consecutive post-seasons, inluding three World Series appearances and one championship.

The sad truth for MLB is the inequality of small market and big market/deep pocket teams. It doesn't guarantee success but it greatly increases the probability of being a sustained winner.

Lol, i think Sandy figures he needs to follow the old adage, "lead, follow or get the **** out of the way". He decided to take the third option.

It is obvious that Steve pushed Eppler to be aggressive in his approach and Eppler has been a guy to go get who he thinks will help - and is relentless in his pursuit. That was his style in his last GM position and he was trained under one of the best GMs of this generation in Brian Cashman. The Eppler hiring appears to be the best decision that Steve with Sandy's input has made thus far.

Sandy's role in the signings of the last several days appears to be what he is best suited for - advice, tying up the loose ends and perhaps some of the contract specifics and language prior to contract signing. But make no mistake, these acquisitions were led by Eppler with support from his Assistant GMs (including Bryn Alderson) and their staff.
    Last edited by swbwtr; 11-30-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast