Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should CLE extend Baker Mayfield?

Next season will be Mayfield's final year on his rookie contract. On one hand he has provided CLE stability at a position they have infamously struggled maintaining since returning to the league, on another he does not seem to have a very high ceiling.

Personally, I think CLE should start a trend and not give him $30m+. For the most part, Mayfield has ranged from being average to straight up bad. He's in the same tier as Jared Goff: can produce on a stacked team, but won't put them over the top.

I would but don't over pay. He's shown he's an average QB. I don't think the Browns should look elsewhere and start over.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by GoBirds20 View Post
    I would but don't over pay. He's shown he's an average QB. I don't think the Browns should look elsewhere and start over.
    CLE should see if they can snag Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson in the offseason. If they can do that they can trade Mayfield to a team that has an obvious need at QB like CAR and WFT.
    Last edited by d.m.g.; 11-28-2021 at 11:38 PM.

He's the best QB Cleveland has had since the Browns came back to Cleveland. This isnt exactly a good QB class either, so hard to argue against extending him. Preferably a deal they can get out of in 2-3 years fairly easily.

Is the transition tag still a thing? That would seem like a good idea to see where his market is.

Should they? No. Will they? Almost certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by d.m.g. View Post
    CLE should see if they can snag Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson in the offseason. If they can do that they can trade Mayfield to a team that has an obvious need at QB like CAR and WFT.
    We literally just traded for the dollar store version of Mayfield, why would we want to give up picks we don't have and money for the Walmart version?

Yes they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Yes they should.

Not talking about Steelers extending Ben, warf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

To me Cleveland seems to be in a similar situation that Washington was in a few years ago with Kirk Cousins. They have a starting caliber QB that doesnít appear good enough to win it all. The problem is heís QBíing a team that is ready to win. If they replace him they likely will not find a guy better than Baker. Washington is still trying to find a better replacement for Cousins.

As much as Cleveland fans would hate to pay Baker they may not have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    That would be funny if it wasn't going to happen lol.

2 questions: How close to his ceiling do we think he is? How much of his play this year do we attribute to the injuries he's playing through?

The value of his play with his current contract is still good. The question as far as extending him is what HIS perception of his value is. IMO he's a better starting QB than, say, Goff and Darnold. I mean he's not in the 'destined to be a borderline starter/career backup' type, but he's certainly not a $40mil/yr guy either. Does he admit that?

So in answer to the OP question- it depends!
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I canít wait for him to be gone. But Cleveland should absolutely extend him for the sake of being that just good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    2 questions: How close to his ceiling do we think he is? How much of his play this year do we attribute to the injuries he's playing through?

The value of his play with his current contract is still good. The question as far as extending him is what HIS perception of his value is. IMO he's a better starting QB than, say, Goff and Darnold. I mean he's not in the 'destined to be a borderline starter/career backup' type, but he's certainly not a $40mil/yr guy either. Does he admit that?

So in answer to the OP question- it depends!
    Why would he admit that? His contract negotiations will start at $40M. I would be SHOCKED if he gets less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Why would he admit that? His contract negotiations will start at $40M. I would be SHOCKED if he gets less than that.
    He would be admitting it by NOT starting his contract negotiations at $40mil
    I would be shocked if he GETS $40mil...'cause he shouldn't, at least not unless the team has an out 2 yrs in
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast