Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's like coaches getting extended before the last year so the players listen to them in their contract year. Teams don't want players pressing for stats and don't want them feeling disrespected so they re-up them at a max if they have shown any reasonable level of "star" potential. I think the agents push that too, getting positive press where they can get one of the hot take machines to dub them a future superstar then they use that to leverage teams panicked about losing a fan favorite.

Looking back it's kind of amazing how good Curry's contract was, but it was a good model. Supposedly Myers and Curry talked it out while Curry was getting his ankles examined just after a devastating injury where he was near his lowest point so not really a parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I think they are doing it because they're afraid a guy will not play at full throttle because he's injury concerned.

But just for me, I think that's a character flaw if that's even a hint of a concern. I wouldn't want to max out anyone who I have to doubt their motivation.
    I was talking more in general that this situation alone.

I think the bigger problem in this situation is Denver just didnít protect themselves well. Look at Embiids rookie extension for a well structured injury prone player contract.

Personally the only way I would extend a guy after year 3 is if they take a less than max. Otherwise play out year 4, get the QO, and get the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denver shot themselves in the back on this one. Porter didnít earn the same contract as Luka and Trey. And unlike Oklahoma City with Shai, Denver had leverage with a player as good as Jokic to demand more from Porter, such as injury protections.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I was talking more in general that this situation alone.

I think the bigger problem in this situation is Denver just didnít protect themselves well. Look at Embiids rookie extension for a well structured injury prone player contract.

Personally the only way I would extend a guy after year 3 is if they take a less than max. Otherwise play out year 4, get the QO, and get the max.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Denver shot themselves in the back on this one. Porter didnít earn the same contract as Luka and Trey. And unlike Oklahoma City with Shai, Denver had leverage with a player as good as Jokic to demand more from Porter, such as injury protections.

How does Jokic give them leverage. If anything, that team already being over the soft cap line gives them no leverage. Porter knows it's either pay him his money or have to replace him with a mid level exception guy. Essentially, with the way the NBA's cap rules work, solid to good players who's team is over the cap are in a pretty good position to essentially say give me what I want or I walk and you have virtually no option to replace me.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...537976844?s=21

Surgery it is.

Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    How does Jokic give them leverage. If anything, that team already being over the soft cap line gives them no leverage. Porter knows it's either pay him his money or have to replace him with a mid level exception guy. Essentially, with the way the NBA's cap rules work, solid to good players who's team is over the cap are in a pretty good position to essentially say give me what I want or I walk and you have virtually no option to replace me.
    Iíd still wait to see what they can get from teams in the restricted market. To offer it, they have to have space and with his injury history and not a lot of teams usually having much room, he might not get any max offers. Plus, if he does, you just match it anyway. No idea why teams bid themselves into a max.

I mean, with this new injury, would teams be clamoring to offer max space to a guy whoís missed almost 2 full years out of his first 4 and the years he did play, he didnít even make 3/4 of the season each year. Heís only played 125 out of a maximum 328 games. Itís like the Nuggets went all in before the flop with an already shaky hand.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 11-29-2021 at 08:28 PM.

* foot

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    This. Sure it was irresponsible spending, but if you look more into the salary cap structure of this team Denver wasnít getting anyone besides a mid-level for years with AG, Jokic and Jamal.

Itís a team that has drafted better than 90% of teams with a coach that has to be considered one of the best if not the best in developing talent. We have turned 2 g leaguers into rotation players in the last 3 years. 9 guys who are all rotation players under contract for next year, and likely 11 total back. Guys like Cancar and Dozier who will be cheap to resign as well.

You can swallow this pill as a Denver fan when you have a top 5 player in the league and most balanced offensive player in the league, one of the better defensive teams in the league, and a roster that wonít have a whole lot of turnover and zero to rotational guys.

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Sure it was irresponsible spending, but if you look more into the salary cap structure of this team Denver wasnít getting anyone besides a mid-level for years with AG, Jokic and Jamal.
    I would argue it was very irresponsible spending. The salary cap structure actually helped Denver in a situation like this. Imagine right now you didn't have him on the max, this happened, and now he goes out to FA with this back injury. You might have been able to keep him on a 4/$80-100 deal. Worst case is he stays healthy and you match a max deal you were going to think about offering anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    * foot

I think back is the more impressive pun here.

They shoulda traded him while they could. Never a big fan

I would argue it was very irresponsible spending. The salary cap structure actually helped Denver in a situation like this. Imagine right now you didn't have him on the max, this happened, and now he goes out to FA with this back injury. You might have been able to keep him on a 4/$80-100 deal. Worst case is he stays healthy and you match a max deal you were going to think about offering anyways.
    In tbis situation I tend to agree with you, mainly becuase of his injuey history. But there is something to be said about waiting until restricted FA and matching that might piss the player off. Probably not piss him off ebough to make him QO and then bounce, but in most cases, I think youre probably okay paying a little extra up front to make everyone happy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast