Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why (or was) Nique underappreciated?

When I look at Nique and his career, it seems odd to me that he seems to be so underappreciated, not among fans, but among basketball.

First, he was not selected for the Dream Team. I know he ruptured his Achilles but that didn't happen until after they selected the roster.

Second, he was left off the 50 Greatest players of all-time list, and is widely considered among, if not the, biggest snub of the list.

Third, he was not a First Ballot Hall of Famer. This despite all his accolades and being 7th on the league scoring list at the time of his retirement.

Sometimes when you see players who consistently get snubbed it's because of some personal defect such as something they did off the court or a bad attitude, but I haven't heard anything like that about him.

I think Nique has been pretty consistently snubbed for accolades in terms of his career accomplishments. Do you? Why do you think he was left off the Dream Team, 50 Greatest Players List, and was not a First Ballot Hall of Famer?

Really limited playoff success, Nique made to the second round 3 times in his career, was a first round out otherwise. Wasn't an exceptional defender or playmaker, and while he was still a menace on offense in his prime, his prime was really only 6 or 7 all nba seasons, which falls quite a bit short compared to the greats ahead of him. Great offensive player, but not incredible longevity, minimal playoff success and it's understandable why he gets looked over.

I think he is criminally underrated. Definitely belonged on the all-time 50 greatest players and on the Dream Team too. Not really sure why he's been snubbed so much. I always thought he was a top 10 player for a good chunk of his career; was also the first guy to come back from the achilles injury and still be really good. I suspect it's because he never really led a legitimate contender. The hawks were usually a really good team when he was there, but I don't think they were ever considered a true threat. Guys like Ewing, Barkley, Malone, and even Miller all have had epic playoff battles and pushed the eventual champs pretty hard, whereas I dont know if this ever happened with Wilkins and I think that's probably the reason he's been snubbed so much. I always viewed Wilkins as not too far off of the Ewings and Barkleys, although maybe a bit below them but right there with them.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 11-04-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Lack of success hurts him though he should have been 1st ballot.

He couldnt really have replaced anyone on the dream team but Mullins and there wasnt much setting those 2 apart that year they got selected.

Top 50 was due to paying respect to old players even though he was clearly better than some of them.

Why (or was) Nique underappreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Lack of success hurts him though he should have been 1st ballot.

He couldnt really have replaced anyone on the dream team but Mullins and there wasnt much setting those 2 apart that year they got selected.

Top 50 was due to paying respect to old players even though he was clearly better than some of them.
    Mullin was on the team bc of his skin color and hair cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 11-04-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Melo of his era/ great offensive player and thatís about it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    This.

If Dominique is an all time great then so is DeMar DeRozan.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Melo is a top 75 player and multi-time Olympian.

I think we tend to underappreciate guys in the 5-25 range of previous generations in general just because.

I thought he was overrated during his career.

Just another Tracy McGrady

The Kobe system in full effect

Quote Originally Posted by Sinattle View Post
    Just another Tracy McGrady
    Dime a dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Dime a dozen

Lol

Someone didnít like him. He wasnít a punk, he will whoop your azzÖso I assume he offended the wrong person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast