Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

2021/2022 Braves Offseason Thread

So, the offseason will now begin. Obviously, the big question of the offseason will be whether or not the Braves are able to re-sign Freddie Freeman. I think they have to after winning the World Series, even though it will cost them more money now than it would have 1 year ago. It would obviously hurt a lot on the field to lose Freddie but it would also be a major PR disaster for the Braves if he left.

However, beyond Freddie, the next most interesting aspect of the offseason will be watching how the outfield shakes out, as the Braves have decisions to make there. Acuna & Ozuna will be with the Braves in 2022, that is pretty much a given. However, they have to make decisions on 4 OFers: Soler, Pederson, Duvall, Rosario. The Braves won't be able to keep all of them, as they can't really carry 6 outfielders. So, who do you prioritize keeping from that group?

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    So, the offseason will now begin. Obviously, the big question of the offseason will be whether or not the Braves are able to re-sign Freddie Freeman. I think they have to after winning the World Series, even though it will cost them more money now than it would have 1 year ago. It would obviously hurt a lot on the field to lose Freddie but it would also be a major PR disaster for the Braves if he left.

However, beyond Freddie, the next most interesting aspect of the offseason will be watching how the outfield shakes out, as the Braves have decisions to make there. Acuna & Ozuna will be with the Braves in 2022, that is pretty much a given. However, they have to make decisions on 4 OFers: Soler, Pederson, Duvall, Rosario. The Braves won't be able to keep all of them, as they can't really carry 6 outfielders. So, who do you prioritize keeping from that group?

Freeman better return and Ozuna stays out!
    Isn't Pederson returning for one more year with us? I want us to resign Soler. Duval and Rosario would be nice to bring back too. Don't forget we could have DH next season after all...

This is my hope. Ozuna gone as a Brave, whether suspended from MLB or traded for BP balls just to get his contract off our back. Why would you want him in our clubhouse after what he did? We don't need that distraction. Hopeful for DH comes 2022. Bring back Soler, Rosario and Duval. Our lineup:

Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Riley
    Solar
    Duval
    Rosario
    Swanson
    d'Arnuad

Not sure who's fa in bullpen but hoping those who didn't contribute much aka Tomlin. Sign stronger relievers and hope a reliable closer. Not sure of Soroka's recovery update. If he can return healthy then super!

Soroka (early year return?)
    Fried
    Anderson
    Morton
    Ynoa

2021/2022 Braves Offseason Thread

I see some guys already posting offseason so I moved those posts into the new thread and we can do offseason talk here.
    Last edited by PackerBum9786; 11-03-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Freeman better return and Ozuna stays out!
    Isn't Pederson returning for one more year with us? I want us to resign Soler. Duval and Rosario would be nice to bring back too. Don't forget we could have DH next season after all...
    I am not sure but, I think it is an option year, not sure if its player, team, or mutual.

Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    This is my hope. Ozuna gone as a Brave, whether suspended from MLB or traded for BP balls just to get his contract off our back. Why would you want him in our clubhouse after what he did? We don't need that distraction. Hopeful for DH comes 2022. Bring back Soler, Rosario and Duval. Our lineup:

Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Riley
    Solar
    Duval
    Rosario
    Swanson
    d'Arnuad

Not sure who's fa in bullpen but hoping those who didn't contribute much aka Tomlin. Sign stronger relievers and hope a reliable closer. Not sure of Soroka's recovery update. If he can return healthy then super!

Soroka (early year return?)
    Fried
    Anderson
    Morton
    Ynoa
    after what he was able to do in the Series, I think Wright is gonna get a look early on to see if he can build on it. It would be great to see him actually live up to where he was drafted.

My preference is to bring back Soler, Duvall and Rosario. I don't know how we do that and bring back Freeman, but that's the ideal scenario for me.

Then if Joc wants to come back and be a platoon guy or bench guy, we can figure that out too. I doubt it though.

The thing is we also have Pache who should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    My preference is to bring back Soler, Duvall and Rosario. I don't know how we do that and bring back Freeman, but that's the ideal scenario for me.

Then if Joc wants to come back and be a platoon guy or bench guy, we can figure that out too. I doubt it though.

The thing is we also have Pache who should be good to go.
    the question with Pache, is he going to be able to hit? he turned it around a bit in triple a but, then when he gets the call up he disappears.

The Marcell Ozuna situation is going to be very interesting. The felony charge of assault by strangulation was dropped. Now if he completes a supervision period (3-6 months depending on his other requirements), a 24 week family violence intervention program and 200 hours of community service all the charges will be dropped. His next court appearance is Jan 13th. MLB will definitely suspend him but the question will be for how long and will they factor in the time he spent on forced leave. Then how will the Braves respond? Bringing him back will be a tough look, especially in todays world, but at the same time if the alleged strangulation didn't happen then maybe that changes things. Apparently the Braves knew they had a tense relationship when they signed him. Last year his wife was arrested for a domestic abuse charge when she hit Ozuna in the face with a soap dish. This is clearly a couple that does not belong together. At the end of the day the Braves may not have a choice. He is still owed at minimum 49 million. If all charges are dismissed the Braves might have to just deal with it. They can't cut him without eating 49 million and I find it hard to believe any team will take on his contract in a trade. The Braves aren't exactly a team that can get away with that much dead money. My guess is that the charges end up being dropped, Ozuna is suspended something like 25-50 games, and the Braves welcome him back and play it off like they are helping "rehabilitate" Ozuna. I don't really know how to feel about it because I don't really know for sure what happened so whatever the Braves decide to do I'm going to support it.

Whatever happens with Ozuna will factor into which OF they bring back and how many. The DH coming to the NL will also be huge. I think Soler will be the one most impacted by the Ozuna situation because he is best suited for the DH role, which is where Ozuna should be if he does come back. Duvall and Pederson are the most likely ones to come back because they have options for next year but it's also possible Duvall opts out for more money. Joc also has an expensive option so neither are guarantees. I said this last year when Ozuna was still a FA but I would love to see those two form a platoon if the price is right. Rosario signed with Cleveland for 8 million last year coming off a down 2020 season so my guess after his playoff run he'll be too expensive to resign. Soler is tough to figure out. He struggled in 2020 and then again in KC until he came to Atlanta this year. Will an AL team bet big on his power? It's possible. I could also see teams to be scared off by his ups and downs. If the market is right I could see him back. The Braves preferred his bat over Pederson so they could buy out Joc and bring back Soler.

I see the Braves biggest decisions coming down to the Ozuna situation and which OFer to bring back. IMO the rotation will be guys already on the roster. Fried/Morton/Anderson and I'm guessing Ynoa are locks. Wright, Muller, and Touki compete for the last spot with the Braves hoping/praying Soroka is able to give them anything. The bullpen is mostly set but I could see a middle reliever signed. Other than maybe a bullpen arm I don't expect to see AA very active in free agency.
    2022 Vikings Draft:
    1: Lewis Cine S Georgia
    2: Andrew Booth Jr. CB Clemson
    2: Ed Ingram G LSU
    3: Brian Asamoah LB Oklahoma
    4: Akayleb Evans CB Missouri
    5: Esezi Otomewo DL Minnesota
    5: Ty Chandler RB UNC
    6: Vederian Lowe OT Illinois
    6: Jalen Nailor WR Michigan State
    7: Nick Muse TE South Carolina

Not sure people are realizing this, but ATL is in a very tough financial spot. After extending Morton and TDA, plus buyouts to Duvall and Pederson (both with mutual contracts) and factoring in ARB contracts, ATL looks to already be at ~135M in payroll for 2022.

Their payroll for all of 2021 was 167.5M. That includes all the trades, IR, suspended, cut, etc players.

Signing Freddie and keeping most of the ARB guys will basically put them at or over their 2021 payroll without having done anything else. Keeping Duvall makes sense as ATL is already paying 3M in buyout on a 7M deal, but that is a mutual option. I also think ATL needs another LH bat, not Duvall. Rosario actually fits best, I think.

I canít believe that AA went and extended TDA and Morton and traded for 2 guys with buyouts if he didnít think he had the $$ to also keep Freddie. Hopefully after the extra revenue from a WS title and Freddie being the face of the franchise, AA and ATL are able/ready to expand payroll some and make sure Freddie stays.

With a DH likely in 2022, I suspect something like this.

Acuna - RF
    Freeman - 1B
    Riley - 3B
    Ozuna - DH
    Albies - 2B
    Duvall - LF
    TDA - C
    Swanson - SS
    Pache - CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Not sure people are realizing this, but ATL is in a very tough financial spot. After extending Morton and TDA, plus buyouts to Duvall and Pederson (both with mutual contracts) and factoring in ARB contracts, ATL looks to already be at ~135M in payroll for 2022.

Their payroll for all of 2021 was 167.5M. That includes all the trades, IR, suspended, cut, etc players.

Signing Freddie and keeping most of the ARB guys will basically put them at or over their 2021 payroll without having done anything else. Keeping Duvall makes sense as ATL is already paying 3M in buyout on a 7M deal, but that is a mutual option. I also think ATL needs another LH bat, not Duvall. Rosario actually fits best, I think.

I canít believe that AA went and extended TDA and Morton and traded for 2 guys with buyouts if he didnít think he had the $$ to also keep Freddie. Hopefully after the extra revenue from a WS title and Freddie being the face of the franchise, AA and ATL are able/ready to expand payroll some and make sure Freddie stays.

With a DH likely in 2022, I suspect something like this.

Acuna - RF
    Freeman - 1B
    Riley - 3B
    Ozuna - DH
    Albies - 2B
    Duvall - LF
    TDA - C
    Swanson - SS
    Pache - CF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spotrac has the Braves at 135.5 million at the moment and that includes projected arb #'s as well as the full salaries for Joc and Duvall. I'm thinking they buy out Joc so that will be another 7.5 million back.

You gotta think it's a guarantee that payroll goes up, right? I mean the team is coming off a World Series win and ended up #2 in attendance this season. Plus I'm sure they made a ton of money throughout the playoffs, especially at the battery. I'm not expecting a 200 million dollar payroll or anything but we should have enough to keep Freeman, 1-2 of these OFers, and sign a decent middle reliever.
    2022 Vikings Draft:

Adam Duvall apparently declined his 2022 option with the Braves. However, that doesn't mean that he's leaving Atlanta, as he apparently is still arb-eligible as crazy as that sounds.

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status...06666333474817

Thanks bud and my apology for posting in wrong thread

If I'm not mistaken, two police officers who arrived at the scene at Ozunas house, they both witnessed him shoving wife by her neck against the wall. While I'm not trying to bring the incident back up, sure MLB will suspend Ozuna for this behavior...

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    Adam Duvall apparently declined his 2022 option with the Braves. However, that doesn't mean that he's leaving Atlanta, as he apparently is still arb-eligible as crazy as that sounds.

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status...06666333474817
    I'll be eager to see what his arb amount will be. Love the power and defense he brings, plus he was clutch last year with runners on base but he doesn't do much else. Poor mans Joey Gallo basically. I hope he is back but I also hope we don't overpay.
    2022 Vikings Draft:

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast