Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    it wound up a trade so yea if there was a better offer or another team bellied up the 18+m to start you think Boston trades to a main competitor?

the number tossed around was 15m and Fourni wanted 18m or more and Knicks gave it to him:

Knicks, Spurs, Pelicans main potential suitors for Evan Fournier
    Brian Robb: Main potential suitors for Evan Fournier in free agency right now beyond Celtics as dust settles from initial deals: Knicks, Spurs, Pelicans

Count the Knicks among the teams interested in Evan Fournier. The question is, how aggressive will Boston, which used a sizeable chunk of the trade exception created by the departure of Gordon Hayward, be in re-signing him? Rival executives believe Fournier will attract offers in the neighborhood of $15 million per season. That may be more than Boston is willing to spend.
    $15m for EF is laughable, BOS reportedly offered 4.80m.

fourn had made a statement that his first choice was Boston, then the Knicks made the trade with Boston signing him first then giving us a Charl 2nd round pick and they got a huge trade exception. Make no bones about it he wanted Boston first and he said so , now he's estatic he's a Knick and we are all glad it worked out for us.
    Did he? I remember him saying all along NY was a prime spot for him. What is he supposed to say anyway? I hate it here lol

Evan Fournier reportedly agreed to a deal with the New York Knicks, but his first choice was to remain with the Boston Celtics after ending last season with the team.

"That was my priority going into the summer," he said of re-signing with Boston, per Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe. "Because I knew the place. I talked to Brad (Stevens) and we couldnít get a deal done, obviously. But I had my options. It wasnít necessarily Boston only but I was more inclined to sign there because they traded for me and I felt good while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Really? I think he had one of if not the strictest rotation in the league. He varied very little from game to game. I expect some variation for the next couple weeks then a strict rotation. Thatís Thibs

. As for last night. I donít think that should be the thinking going in.

Harris doesnít break anyone ankles. He scores but Toppin is as capable of defending him as anyone else. He was also making plays all over the floor when he got pulled. He did fine when isolated as well. One tough shot converted, a bad double that lead to an assist which was on Burks, and one forced TO.

As for Drummond he looked 40 pounds overweight and wouldnít be able to change ends with Toppin at his best. The size is a mismatch to be exploited

Iíll check what 2nd half run was during his mins [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thibs has a strict rotation but I think he also has certain matchups circled and tries to match them up all game. I think most teams have a predictable rotation carousel so it's not that hard to do. We saw it a lot last year. When another teams circled player comes back in, Thibs will instantly sub his preferred matchup back in. There was a clear and obvious game against either Curry or Lillard where Payton actually played superb defense and matched them with every sub pattern.

Thibs goes back to his starters when negative momentum hits the bench. It is what it is. He's always gonna put his best player back in when momentum begins to switch. Even if it's not Obi's fault, if Randle is coming back in there are 2 players he can be coming in for and Obi is 1 of them. There will be times when Obi gets extended run when momentum is in our favor and there isn't a 1v1 matchup that will worry Thibs about being exploited. He played 20 mins straight vs Boston. I don't think that is just because Taj was out.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 10-27-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I hope heís better than Iguodala. Iggy was thought of as a rising star, then a dissapointment. That doesnít mean heís not good by any means. But we need more than that

I wish he had Iggys athleticism/burst
    So trying to fit players into this "star" category seems problematic. I think Iggy was an extremely valuable player for GS and its not like he couldn't score. Every player on the team doesn't need to be an all star. I would rather have parts that fit well and complement each other.

Most players aren't that honest and say the team that took them was their first choice, i remember the interview and really wanted to stay in Boston and he went to say that he wanted to continue and play alongside their two superstars.

Vuc has always had big games and Mitch needs to cover him and play the three which he hasn't done nor did Noel or Taj in the past. We can't let him go off on us or it could be a long night, they have talent.

Derozan vs RJ is the key matchup for me in this game, RJ may have a hard time getting to the rim against him should be a fun matchup, need to take away his midrange game if possible.

Randle has to easily win his battle with Williams

LaVine and Ball vs Kemba and Fourn is going to be tough for us.

I think on paper they win the starters matchup but we win the bench matchups which makes this game a toss up.

Game plan should be run, run and run, they play their starters lots of minutes and we need our second unit to keep running and running. I want to see Obi non stop when he enters will have either Williams or DeRozan on him, DeRozan slides to PF at times.
    If Obi is not on his game Thibs may use Grimes with this team, hope it don't come to that, need Obi to play well.
    Every thing you wrote is true. Yet, they also have to guard our players. They are going to have to guard our starters as well then the bench. Will be a fun game. Let's see how they do on the road against a good team. Knicks may lose on the road but can also beat Chicago like they beat Boston or Philly. I like our team.

I posted this before but good read on Evan and the FAgency.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/evan-f...came-together/

Quote Originally Posted by callmeDro View Post
    So trying to fit players into this "star" category seems problematic. I think Iggy was an extremely valuable player for GS and its not like he couldn't score. Every player on the team doesn't need to be an all star. I would rather have parts that fit well and complement each other.
    Of course. However, without the stars, the parts that fit arenít looking so good. In the example you gave, how much would GS have won without the multiple stars?

Players get put into that profile, because you hope they can reach that level. And itís what youíre always chasing.
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 10-27-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    He sucked last night?

I think youíre just in denial about the impact Taj coming back has had. Thibs will favor Taj and Noel regardless and last night served as proof. Toppin had 9 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block but somehow still managed to play only 11 minutes.

What more does Obi have to do before you stop making excuses for the minutes distribution?
    He was good in the first half of the Orlando game as well. He only scored 2 points but played well. In the second half of that game, he really didn't get a run. I think when the offense is struggling as it did in that game is can make sense to go a different direction. Toppin isn't a half-court creator and can go ghost in games like that. Still, I don't think he sucked in either game. He was good in one and a nonfactor in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    $15m for EF is laughable, BOS reportedly offered 4.80m.
    smart i'd say, do you ask yourself why or recall why? You think they didn't want to give him 18-20m? they absolutely did but then that adds in 45m in taxes, so do you then say he's worth close to 65m? Not laughable, smart GM. And they wound up with an 18m trade exception if they use it, so not a total loss.

Boston is far from stupid!

So if the Celtics pay Fournier $20 million next season (donít freak out, Iím just using a round number right now. Weíll get to his overall value in a minute) the entirety of it will be taxed. In the NBA, taxes work in tiers, and the rate they pay for every dollar they go over the tax goes up every tier. Hereís how that breaks down:

0-$4,999,999
    $1.50
    $5,000,000-$9,999,999
    $1.75
    $10,000,000-$14,999,999
    $2.50
    $15,000,000-$19,999,999 $3.25

Thatís a total of $45 million in taxes on top of the $20 million theyíd pay in salary. Yikes, right?

He was good in the first half of the Orlando game as well. He only scored 2 points but played well. In the second half of that game, he really didn't get a run. I think when the offense is struggling as it did in that game is can make sense to go a different direction. Toppin isn't a half-court creator and can go ghost in games like that. Still, I don't think he sucked in either game. He was good in one and a nonfactor in the other.
    I think its safe to say he sucked vs Orlando. Most of the team sucked, and the bench was all bad besides Rose. But Toppin had some airballs, got put on a poster, had 4 fouls in 12 mins. The bench coughed up a 6 point lead to start the 4th in about 90 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    Every thing you wrote is true. Yet, they also have to guard our players. They are going to have to guard our starters as well then the bench. Will be a fun game. Let's see how they do on the road against a good team. Knicks may lose on the road but can also beat Chicago like they beat Boston or Philly. I like our team.
    your right but their guards can play defense no doubt about it, why I gave them the edge. Every game is not predictable and that is why you play the game, look no further than us and Orlando, could you predict that poor of a game, with all players not named Rose shooting 17% from three?

totally not the point that is even being discussed, when things aren't going well Julius will be called back in, and the coach will trust Taj more than Obi, and when Noel returns the minutes could get or will get even harder.

the result of trying to explain him averaging, not playing but averging 20min per night is just crazy right now. I'm hopeful for 14 maybe 15min and that still has a huge ?

the good news is his value has gone up since the playoffs and he continues to prove he belongs in this league and doesn't even have a full season because of covid under his belt. prior to the playoffs you were lucky to get a very late first for him, this has changed, and as a backup PF he still brings a lot of value to this team, even if it's 14min we still need our bench when Randle sits, and Knox is not the answer.

I think it was an easy call to say Philly was a game that no way no how Thibs would do any small ball against. I also think if it came down to it, it was easy to call that Thibs would not allow Obi to guard Tobias for any extended mins. I am actually surprised, that people here are surprised/upset that Obi didn't get a lot of burn last night.

I'll go on the record saying that CHI looks like a good matchup for him to get some mins. They don't have an offensive threat at the 4, they have a finesse C that Randle can guard, they go small off the bench (I think). On paper looks like a night Obi should get extended burn. The only thing I could see potentially not working out for him is if they go with Derozan at the 4 and try to exploit a matchup with Obi. That would get him yanked IMO.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast