Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Will the hate ever subside?

Talks of secession, civil war 2, the dehumanization and denounciation of each other, the value of being performative rather than a problem solver, pandering rather than informing, alternative realities and conspiracy theories, disinformation, extreme and exaggerated rhetoric over responsible discourse ...

I mean this forum is a great microcosm. It used to be a pretty decent place to discuss topics but now it's just trolling. I even started using a different forum and it devolved into the same in the last year.

Is there an end to it or is this the new normal and what everyone wants and enjoys? I'd like to imagine this only happens online but I think we've seen it happen too many times in public.

Discuss
    Last edited by statquo; 10-25-2021 at 05:07 PM.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Nope. It'll most likely get worse before it gets any better.

Though I'd like to believe that the discourse here on PSD isn't especially representative of reality at large.

It works in a cycle, the sixties were corrosive as well as the turn of the last century labor movement. Every few decades we have the "have and haven't rolled." That is how we got our labor laws and ended bad policies like Jim Crow. It's just bad news it is happening on the verge of a climate disaster, otherwise, I think this struggle would have resulted in better policies for average working-class citizens.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Nope. It'll most likely get worse before it gets any better.
    yeah most likely this answer.

there are too many brainwashed on both sides.

as for secession and Civil War talk, thats been going on for yearsssssssss and all it is is talk. no state is going to seceed, most of them rely too heavily on federal funds. I mean technically you could say we have a type of civil war going on right now and the sides are drawn down party lines. its not like a war like a bloody conflict more like a cold war type war of words and actions battles.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    It works in a cycle, the sixties were corrosive as well as the turn of the last century labor movement. Every few decades we have the "have and haven't rolled." That is how we got our labor laws and ended bad policies like Jim Crow. It's just bad news it is happening on the verge of a climate disaster, otherwise, I think this struggle would have resulted in better policies for average working-class citizens.
    The hate never subsides but it does become less acceptable to express publicly. Before Trump and Trumpism came through and showed people hatred wasnít as big a detriment to express publicly most people had to go underground or anonymous to express their vile hatred. But in the last few years weíve shown that we didnít beat back the hatred. We only forced it underground and to be hidden. It was waiting for someone to express the opinions and make it acceptable to hate publicly again.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The hate never subsides but it does become less acceptable to express publicly. Before Trump and Trumpism came through and showed people hatred wasnít as big a detriment to express publicly most people had to go underground or anonymous to express their vile hatred. But in the last few years weíve shown that we didnít beat back the hatred. We only forced it underground and to be hidden. It was waiting for someone to express the opinions and make it acceptable to hate publicly again.
    I don't know it is about hate but class struggles. Every movement revolved around that, whether upgrading women right as full citizens, requiring workplace safety codes, or wage inequality. The voiceless seek a voice, to be heard and recognized as more than a clog in the system.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    It's like you've thoroughly convinced yourself that it was Trump supporters and not his distractors that was doing it for 4 years. Go figure.

Distractors?

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Distractors?
    Mind bottling.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Talks of secession, civil war 2, the dehumanization and denounciation of each other, the value of being performative rather than a problem solver, pandering rather than informing, alternative realities and conspiracy theories, disinformation, extreme and exaggerated rhetoric over responsible discourse ...

I mean this forum is a great microcosm. It used to be a pretty decent place to discuss topics but now it's just trolling. I even started using a different forum and it devolved into the same in the last year.

Is there an end to it or is this the new normal and what everyone wants and enjoys? I'd like to imagine this only happens online but I think we've seen it happen too many times in public.

Discuss
    Don't worry, Joe Biden promised to restore the soul of America, so we should be fine in like 2 months or w/e

But to answer your question, it stops when the media no longer has a financial interest in promoting division, and social media stops prioritizing things that create outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    yeah most likely this answer.

there are too many brainwashed on both sides.

as for secession and Civil War talk, thats been going on for yearsssssssss and all it is is talk. no state is going to seceed, most of them rely too heavily on federal funds. I mean technically you could say we have a type of civil war going on right now and the sides are drawn down party lines. its not like a war like a bloody conflict more like a cold war type war of words and actions battles.
    Yeah, I really don't see a civil war.

Like what issue is there that is so unmoveable like slavery that would cause that?

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post

Like what issue is there that is so unmoveable like slavery that would cause that?
    That an outcome of an election the Republicans donít win is unacceptable.

Don't worry, Joe Biden promised to restore the soul of America, so we should be fine in like 2 months or w/e

But to answer your question, it stops when the media no longer has a financial interest in promoting division, and social media stops prioritizing things that create outrage.
    Ummm that never happened lol.

You and Catman both like to paint anything Biden says as a "promise" lol. Please quote me where he says this.

The election? The GOP is gearing up to do the same thing they did in 2020 and call the election rigged. And people like you will buy the rhetoric. Or pretend you don't while posting about every conspiracy theory.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast