Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Harden struggling because of new rules?

With the new rules, and Harden not getting the calls now, is he in jeopardy of going from a perennial MVP candidate superstar to just a perennial all star?

The Lost Boys of PSD

I haven't watched any Nets games, so I have no clue how it's really affecting his game from looking at a box score or his BR stats. But it's only been three games, and he was still an incredibly valuable and productive player last season despite seeing a pretty huge dropoff in FTAs (11.8 to 7.3) last season. I doubt he's going to average 3 FTA the entire season, but even if there was another dropoff to say 5-6 FTAs per game, he'll be fine.

Havenít watched but I donít think his game is all about getting to the line. He is great shooter, has great step backs, and an awesome float game. Heís still going to be really really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I think Harden being in (visibly) the worst shape he's been in is the bigger issue.

Harden's games is so far from it being getting to the free throw line, as casuals still oddly seem to believe. It seems to me, like the refs are making it a point to NOT calling ANYTHING on Harden. Which has been weird, but a foul is a foul. Harden has just seemed to me over these first three games, just not very aggressive for his own offense, which the Nets need right now with no Kyrie. He's flirted with triple doubles in each game, just hasn't seemed to find a rhythm, while trying to get others involved. Almost forcing it for everyone else. To anser your question... No. I don't think he's going to digress from perennial MVP candidate superstar to just a perennial all star.

So far I think the adjustment has, in some ways, gone too far. I've seen a bunch of defenders making considerable contact from behind on offensive players and having no call made.

The arm sweeps, grabs, jumping into defenders, and side stepping into contact ... I love them being the exception now.

I do wish they would clean up the travel rules and the screen rules, but maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    Harden's games is so far from it being getting to the free throw line, as casuals still oddly seem to believe. It seems to me, like the refs are making it a point to NOT calling ANYTHING on Harden. Which has been weird, but a foul is a foul. Harden has just seemed to me over these first three games, just not very aggressive for his own offense, which the Nets need right now with no Kyrie. He's flirted with triple doubles in each game, just hasn't seemed to find a rhythm, while trying to get others involved. Almost forcing it for everyone else. To anser your question... No. I don't think he's going to digress from perennial MVP candidate superstar to just a perennial all star.
    He's incredibly skilled, but he used that threat of contact to get a little extra space and to overcome his relative lack of quickness to get just that little bit more open. I think he leveraged the threat of the foul a lot more than just the FTs he took.

That said, I suspect he'll be fine, he just won't be as deadly as he once was, but he's not alone in that.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I think Harden being in (visibly) the worst shape he's been in is the bigger issue.
    Agreed. I'm guessing he plays himself into shape. He's usually a slow starter so I don't think the alarm needs to be sound but he definitely doesn't look much like himself currently.

Well heís averaging like 5 less free throws per game. But I think heíll adjust. Heís just not getting as many cheap fouls called for him

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    Agreed. I'm guessing he plays himself into shape. He's usually a slow starter so I don't think the alarm needs to be sound but he definitely doesn't look much like himself currently.
    Harden is focused on the party life. I live in Miami and hear a few things. He's not 100% committed to winning a championship otherwise Brooklyn should be runaway favourites. As soon as he takes it all the way serious, he can definitely be an MVP candidate again.

At some point his body is going to react like Baron Davis' when he tried to get back in shape at the start of the season.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    At some point his body is going to react like Baron Davis' when he tried to get back in shape at the start of the season.
    Yeah, it's like he doesn't realize he's already 32.

Saw a hilarious meme that said "When flopping and yelling no longer gets rewarded with FTs" and it was a pic of Harden/Lillard/Embiid/Booker and their significantly reduced stats so far this year. Friggin priceless.
    Last edited by JAZZNC; 10-28-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    He's incredibly skilled, but he used that threat of contact to get a little extra space and to overcome his relative lack of quickness to get just that little bit more open. I think he leveraged the threat of the foul a lot more than just the FTs he took.

That said, I suspect he'll be fine, he just won't be as deadly as he once was, but he's not alone in that.
    I think the threat too had that little bit of a psychological advantage too. Make you're guy pick a cheap 1 up early and it may alter hwo he defenses you, even just slightly. And for a scorer like Harden, even slight changes cna be enough to get him going.

The free throws were also a safety net too. The bottom rarely fell out on his offensive output because of the free throws. Anyone is subject to bad games and poor shooting nights, but if you're capable of getting to the line 12 times, it doesnt take a ton of makes to have a respectable offensive output.

I think he'll be fine though. The good teams know they'll make the playoffs, so the regular season these days is just about trying stuff out and staying healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This. He's down from 7.2 to 3.2 free throws per 36 minutes. His field goal percentage is down by 10%, I think partially owing to the less space he has to get a shot off. His free throw attempts have gone from .44 per field goal to .19. He's taking more threes and only down in accuracy by about 3%. This is all despite his usage still being essentially the same as last season.
    Harden is too much of a savant not to adapt and excel. I hope he loses some weight too. But I take his slump about as seriously as I take Lillard's, and Harden is still better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast