Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2022: What's Next?

Not sure if there's anyone out there at this point but, what the heck...

I was a bit more optimistic about the 2021 version of the Red Sox but there was no way in the world that I expected them to get to the ALCS. Realistically, I still didn't think that they'd get through the Yankees when they squared up in the WC game and never conceived of them handling a Rays team that had handled them pretty easily during the regular season. For a "bridge year" (yeah, it was that) it turned out pretty well.

Looking at 2022, the Sox have positioned themselves for a lot of flexibility. They may also have positioned themselves to stare down the first work stoppage in over 25 years but let's hope that doesn't actually affect the season.

Strictly speaking, the Sox have seven players under contract (Barnes, Bogaerts, Eovaldi, Kike, Martinez, Sale, and Sawamura). Vazquez will be #8 when they pick up his option.

Beyond them are eight more arb controlled players with Arroyo, Brasier, Devers, Piveta, Plawecki, Renfroe, Taylor, and Verdugo.

Club controlled guys (1-3yrs) who've made an impact or been on the radar include Bazardo, Dalbec, Austin Davis, Duran, Darwinzon Hernandez, Groome, Houck, Mata, Seabold, Philips Valdez and Connor Wong.

Currently the payroll guesstimate for this group is just under $175M with a project cap of $210M. That includes arb estimates for the arb controlled guys and an assumption that the guys in the 0-3 years of service time are paid the minimum.

What would you like to see happen with this group?

• Let JD Martinez walk after his opt-out.
    • Give half of the JDM money to Bogaerts
    • Sign Devers to $175M/7yr extension
    • Sign Alex Wood $28M/2yr+opt

This puts the team close to the expected cap and isn't the most sexy list of options. Bogaerts gets in the neighborhood with guys like Tatis but the case can be made for him being slightly below that. Hoping that getting him in the area code is enough. Similar for Devers who has got a great bat but not quite enough defense to be paid what they're getting. Letting JDM walk is a necessity for pulling that off. If he doesn't, then those two need to be put off by a year (or you don't bring in a SP).

I've always liked Wood and his numbers are fairly steady. He's a mid-rotation stop-gap while you wait for guys like Groome, Houck, and Seabold to mature. He's not going to blow you away but he'll keep you in games. If Sale can find his groove and Eovaldi can do his thing for another season then we can compete while letting the kids continue to grow.

And yes, I'm letting Rodriguez walk in favor of Wood. I'm sure that the market for Eduardo is going to be based on his 2019 season and the potential to get there. I don't have that confidence, even after seeing him pick it up later in the season. He's just been a bit too inconsistent for me. Wood won't necessarily be better but his cost is more reasonable. That's the price we have to pay for what was paid to Price (thankfully done after 2022).