Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Offseason Thread - What does 2022 Look Like?

While we are all dealing with the disappointment of falling short of winning another championship, I'd like to look forward.

Some posters are jumping off the cliff, convinced we are the worst run organization in professional sports, while others are delighting in their predictions and patting themselves on the back for being right about the Dodgers' pending demise.

I don't recall a season in recent memory with so many key players on the line. Below are my ramblings...

1) Corey Seager - I love this guy. I know the history of his injuries and the rhetoric around them - it's hard to argue when he hasn't put together a full season without significant down time. For me, the guy shows up in the biggest situations, and when he is right, he is the most consistent and dangerous hitter we have in the lineup. He is a grinder who uses the entire field, and the situation is never too big for him. His injuries, while many, have all been unrelated....back, hip, hand, elbow, etc. He is still young and we could enjoy many years of he and Mookie at the top of the lineup. Maybe his injuries will lower his price a bit as well -- let's hope?

2) Trea Turner - I know he has another season, but I would rather we sign Seager, and leverage a trade for Turner to bring in talent in other areas. Turner is going to be looking for ridiculous money after 2022, and I don't want to see us pursuing that. Maybe it's just me, and I'm sure I'll get trashed for this opinion, but his numbers don't tell the whole story. Yes of course he led the league in batting this year, and his stats are fantastic. He is fast, has power, etc. etc. He also remind me of JD Drew. He can hit, but also misses opportunities to take team at bats when needed. His approach during the playoffs was disappointing. He got some hits, but he also chased outside the zone, and some really short at bats at times when we could have used a selfless approach to move guys over or work the pitchers a little more. I also don't care for his defense. Forget that he is playing 2nd....I have never seen a displaced shortstop struggle so badly to make consistent plays at another position. Everything that i like about Seager's quiet, grinder approach, I dislike about Turner. My personal feeling and opinion.

3) Jansen - Let him go. We got a great season to end out his current deal, which is more than most of us expected. His velocity will drop again soon, and we have too many other options here.

4) Knebel - Sign him. For all of the disappointments and injuries on the starting staff, our bullpen was amazingly fun to watch. What a powerhouse and strength of the team, the pen turned out to be. We can bolster with quality arms, and have enough depth to take a flyer on a couple of re-treads looking to rejuvenate their career, or a young arm looking for consistency. Really happy with our options here.

5) Scherzer - love the talent, the intensity, and everything he did for the team after he came over. I just don't see him taking a reasonable offer to stay. If he took a 1 or 2 year deal, and we could actually maintain a full rotation that doesnt destroy his arm, it could be fun. My vote is no, but the right situation could easily talk me out of that stance.

6) Chris Taylor - Sign him. I can't believe I just typed that after watching his very frustrating swing and miss antics over the last few years, and periods where he completely disappears. He's had too many big moments for us, and is too flexible to just let him walk. That utility depth was really tested this year, and the guy came up huge all year, and especially in the postseason. he is an easy guy to pull for, and I want him on my team.

7) Kershaw - What can you say. There is likely no value in signing him that would match the numbers he could command, but how can you let him walk. He is a Dodger legend, and means more to this team than the innings he throws. I couldn't help but wonder how different our postseason would have been with his arm in the mix - and yes, I know the narrative of his postseason roller coaster ride. I've been as vocal as anyone as to how disappointing some of his performances have been - not because he's a bad pitcher, but because he's the best pitcher I've seen in a Dodger uniform in my entire 50 years. I wanted him to be Sandy Koufax. In the regular season, he has been, and more. In the postseason, he wasn't. I don't care. He's a Dodger. He's a legend, and he stands up to all the criticism. He should never wear another uniform.

My ramblings....what are your thoughts?

Keep: Taylor, Max,

Walk:

Seager. Injuries, defense not worth 200+ million

Knebel. Can be replace by Tommy Kahnle. Probably will be asking for 10+ million

Jansen look great in the 2nd half of the season but he is already like 33 years old. Not worth 12+ million Brusdar
    and Treinen are more than capable of closing

Kershaw. I would love for him to retire a Dodger but his arm is falling apart. Can't throw harder than 92 MPH anymore. Still a good pitcher but not worthy of 30+ million. Would only resign him to be the 4th/5th starter and for 15-18 million per year.

Joe Kelly. Would want him back for 6-8 million per year not worth 12+. 2-3 years.

Turner is time for him to be the odd man out. He should become the Albert Pujols to the team. Will get a few starts here and there but we need a solution to 3rd base.

Lux either needs to stay @2nd or SS. Don't like him in the outfield. But honestly I would trade him for another stud young pitcher. I don't think he is SPECIAL. Will be a good but not great MLB player.

Bauer. I think he is gone. Reports that most Dodger players didn't want him back. Bauer has been silent on twitter, youtube in regards to the Dodgers, so maybe he is mad @ us for no letting him pitch when his restraining order was dropped. Either way Bauer needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Doc. You guys already know how I feel about him. He is a yes man to Friedman. As long as Friedman is in charge. Doc is safe no matter what. I honestly feel that if we had any other manager we would have at least 2 WS titles by now. Doc screwed us over many times by making Kershaw be the hero when we know Kershaw isn't that great in the postseason. Plus many other times where he has mismanage the pen in key games.
    Last edited by lamar2006; 10-24-2021 at 08:21 PM.

It's been dark days on this side, but life goes on and so will the Dodgers.

Cory Seager ... Despite the injuries, he's a solid player in the field and always a threatening bat in the line up. I would keep him.

Trea Turner ... I like his speed and batting average, he deserves his payday, but I thought he slumped when we needed his bat the most when injuries took out our best hitters. I would still keep him, give him is money and find a way to play him.

Gavin Lux ... I also don't think he is anything special. If he was, he would have played better in the outfield. I prefer keeping Trea Turner and letting Lux go.

Joe Kelly ... I love Joe Kelly and was rooting for him to be the spark we needed in his NLCS start. Keep him if we can sign him for reasonable money.

Cory Knebel ... Frankly, didn't see him enough to really comment. But agree with the prior post, the Dodgers always take on players looking to make a comeback and usually the results work out for us. After prior years where our bullpen was lame, and it hurt us, you can't let good arms walk out the door. Sign him.

Trevor Bauer ... I never liked him and was puzzled why the Dodgers would bring his baggage and a-hole personality into a "team first" clubhouse. Will not shed a tear if this whack-job doesn't play pro ball ever again.

Kenley Jansen ... Easy to hate on Kenley when he gives up the big home run, but I admired how he learned from his shortcomings, adapted and added to his pitch mix...he put in the work to stay dominant. I would keep him, knowing that Graterol is showing that he can be the Dodgers' future closer.

Chris Taylor ... Despite his struggles, this guy is a gamer and comes up clutch when the playoffs come around. No brainer, you keep him.

Max Scherzer ... I think he his best days are behind him, but he was the big-game ace pitcher I wish the Dodgers could have signed way back when pitched for the Tigers. I was surprised that his arm fell off after one inning as closer in SF and that leaves me concerned if he is worth another big money deal. The Dodgers have the money, and if they can sign him for another 2 years (max), I think he has enough gas to perform as an elite pitcher during the regular season.

Clayton Kershaw ... Clayton should be a lifetime Dodger. You don't let him walk and disgrace the Dodger legacy pitching in another uniform....unless that is what he really wants to do. I don't think is the case though. He's our generation's Koufax, a first ballot HoF'r, WS champion with more than enough money...with really nothing to prove. If you can pay David Price to take up a roster spot and not pitch in the postseason, you can do the same with Clayton...so I think you sign him as the Lakers celebrated Kobe's final years. My hunch is that Clayton is smart enough to know his current health, declining abilities and is willing to ride out his career with the Dodgers.

Dave Roberts ... Since day 1, Doc has done nothing but win. I know and have seen Dodger disappointment in the passed with lousy managers. The manager will always get the heat when they lose, but he is the right personality for this franchise...a franchise that has done nothing but win and compete for a title since McCourt's stink left Dodger Stadium. Doc is our new Alston, Lasorda...keep him as long as he wants to stay...its the Dodger Way.

Bring them all back. Baseball doesn't have a true hard cap and we have more than enough money to spend so why not do it? In basketball and football it makes sense to limit your spending because there are hard caps, but this isn't the case in baseball so I'm really not sure why anyone cares how much these guys are commanding in contracts. We can likely afford to double or triple whatever our payroll will be and the organization would still be massively profitable.

The only issue is if we can't convince Trea Turner or Seager to either play second or third. Guys are often willing to sacrifice to be a part of a great team and so I think there is a decent chance we can make this happen.

I remember Seager playing some 3B as a September callup in 2015. I think Justin Turner was playing 2B at the time.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    I remember Seager playing some 3B as a September callup in 2015. I think Justin Turner was playing 2B at the time.
    I think Seager is definitely capable of it, he just has to be willing to make the compromise

All I know is that I'm glad Houston Cheaters did not win the series. Congrats to the Braves.

You guys think Lux would be traded for a starting pitcher? Clayton and Max are 1st ballot HOFs but they should be paced during the season.

The Dodgers did not pick up Joe Kelly’s option. He will be a free agent now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm I the only one that would keep Taylor over Seager? I love Seager and arguably he is our best hitter but he will command 250-300 million, 12 year contract. I don't think he is worth that much considering he is always hurt and his defense is questionable. If we keep Taylor we would be able to afford someone like Bryant or Castellanos to play 3rd base. 2 birds for the price of 1. JT needs to be our Albert Pujols and only start occasionally or maybe we have a DH next year. Honestly, with what Seager will command we would probably be able to afford Taylor for 4-5 years at 75-90 million. Castellanos or Bryant for like 5 years 125-150 and Max for 2/60-66 million.

Would rather have those 3 guys over Seager. I think FO will be more careful spending money this year. Having the best players doesn't always lead to a title. If that was the case we would have like 4-5 rings by now. Sometimes you need average players that shine when it matters and some star players disappear when it matters the most.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    I'm I the only one that would keep Taylor over Seager? I love Seager and arguably he is our best hitter but he will command 250-300 million, 12 year contract. I don't think he is worth that much considering he is always hurt and his defense is questionable. If we keep Taylor we would be able to afford someone like Bryant or Castellanos to play 3rd base. 2 birds for the price of 1. JT needs to be our Albert Pujols and only start occasionally or maybe we have a DH next year. Honestly, with what Seager will command we would probably be able to afford Taylor for 4-5 years at 75-90 million. Castellanos or Bryant for like 5 years 125-150 and Max for 2/60-66 million.

Would rather have those 3 guys over Seager. I think FO will be more careful spending money this year. Having the best players doesn't always lead to a title. If that was the case we would have like 4-5 rings by now. Sometimes you need average players that shine when it matters and some star players disappear when it matters the most.
    Baseball doesn't have a salary cap. We can literally afford every single one of those guys. We offered both Seager and Taylor qualifying offers, so it looks like we're planning to keep both.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Baseball doesn't have a salary cap. We can literally afford every single one of those guys. We offered both Seager and Taylor qualifying offers, so it looks like we're planning to keep both.
    no it's not. It means that if we fail to sign any of them for whatever reason. Dodgers will get a comp pick if they sign elsewhere. Both are not accepting the QO. You would be stupid not to offer the QO and lose them for nothing in return. Didn't the Angels use one of the comp picks to pick Trout???????

Yes, we can sign anyone with our money but sometimes, you have to spend your money wisely. Seager isn't the generational talent like Mookie, Harper, Trout, Kershaw, Tatis etc etc. Seager is a really good player, elite @ times but not worth 300+ million IMO. I said before having the best talent doesn't automatically equal titles. If that was the case we would have 5+ titles since 2010.

Would I want to keep Seager? Yes, I would. But I feel the money he will command can be spend elsewhere to strengthen the team. Seager is a great player but he can be replaced. I would honestly prefer to sign Marcus Seimen over Seager. Marcus will cost about half of what Seager will cost us and has been great these past 2-3 years. Then use the rest of the money we could save to sign Max, Taylor and another arm or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    no it's not. It means that if we fail to sign any of them for whatever reason. Dodgers will get a comp pick if they sign elsewhere. Both are not accepting the QO. You would be stupid not to offer the QO and lose them for nothing in return. Didn't the Angels use one of the comp picks to pick Trout???????

Yes, we can sign anyone with our money but sometimes, you have to spend your money wisely. Seager isn't the generational talent like Mookie, Harper, Trout, Kershaw, Tatis etc etc. Seager is a really good player, elite @ times but not worth 300+ million IMO. I said before having the best talent doesn't automatically equal titles. If that was the case we would have 5+ titles since 2010.

Would I want to keep Seager? Yes, I would. But I feel the money he will command can be spend elsewhere to strengthen the team. Seager is a great player but he can be replaced. I would honestly prefer to sign Marcus Seimen over Seager. Marcus will cost about half of what Seager will cost us and has been great these past 2-3 years. Then use the rest of the money we could save to sign Max, Taylor and another arm or two.
    My position on spending money is that it's not mine and they can afford to pay these guys far more than theyre asking for so I really don't know why we wouldn't. Until there is a salary cap, I really wouldnt worry about spending. Maybe for a smaller organization, but we're the one of if not the most profitable organization in the league. On a side note, you guys would destroy Semien if he played on this team. Seager is a far better hitter and 3 years younger. The only real knock on Seager is that he's injury prone.

https://twitter.com/CoverageMLB/stat...58420018274310

What do you guys think of this? From Corey's wife.