Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Comic Books, Timeline/Online

I have enjoyed almost all of the Superhero movies. I watch them for a break, not for them being some sort of new standard in movie production.

I would love to start reading the comics. As a collectible, that's going to be impossible, but perhaps the comics are online somewhere, perhaps with a subscription?

Also is there a timeline to boot? Like Superman starts with Action #1 and then branches out to whatever...(Death of Superman, etc)
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    I have enjoyed almost all of the Superhero movies. I watch them for a break, not for them being some sort of new standard in movie production.

I would love to start reading the comics. As a collectible, that's going to be impossible, but perhaps the comics are online somewhere, perhaps with a subscription?

Also is there a timeline to boot? Like Superman starts with Action #1 and then branches out to whatever...(Death of Superman, etc)
    Depends on if you are going for graphics or writing or re sell value. Action number one is pretty hard to find and expensive to own. I follow them with the kids until they lost interest thank god. X-Men and JLA for their diversity, and Batman, because he is Batman. Frank Miller is a good storyteller who did a run in Marvel's Daredevil, as well as "The Dark Knight Return' which revolutionize comic book story telling. Chris Claremount as well. Artists, Jim Lee, old timers Arthur Adams, Jim Bryne depending on the inker, George Perez on DC comic as well as Marvel, are collectables.

The Watchmen is also a classic comic if you are going to read only one comic this is the one. Excellent writing for it's genre, ok art. When good guys go bad mystery story. A lot political and social plot lines. It was a little rough for the kids, but I was pleasantly surprise I enjoyed it.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Sorry, I don't know nothing about on line comics or what is current in popularity.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know nothing about on line comics or what is current in popularity.
    no worries.

I am fortunate. I can buy any comic I want. I can also get murdered by my wife. So yeah, looking/hoping for an online solution to read and some site that has timelines

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Depends on if you are going for graphics or writing or re sell value. Action number one is pretty hard to find and expensive to own. I follow them with the kids until they lost interest thank god. X-Men and JLA for their diversity, and Batman, because he is Batman. Frank Miller is a good storyteller who did a run in Marvel's Daredevil, as well as "The Dark Knight Return' which revolutionize comic book story telling. Chris Claremount as well. Artists, Jim Lee, old timers Arthur Adams, Jim Bryne depending on the inker, George Perez on DC comic as well as Marvel, are collectables.

The Watchmen is also a classic comic if you are going to read only one comic this is the one. Excellent writing for it's genre, ok art. When good guys go bad mystery story. A lot political and social plot lines. It was a little rough for the kids, but I was pleasantly surprise I enjoyed it.
    Jumping into comic books is not an easy endeavor. I would recommend reading stand alone graphic novels first because you not need to know the history of the characters to enjoy the book. Like WES445, I would definitely recommend "The Watchmen" or "The Dark Knight Returns" as must read. I know it's a controversial call, but "Secret Empire" was a fun read, at least to me. I know there is outrage from the idiots but it was still fun read to me.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Jumping into comic books is not an easy endeavor. I would recommend reading stand alone graphic novels first because you not need to know the history of the characters to enjoy the book. Like WES445, I would definitely recommend "The Watchmen" or "The Dark Knight Returns" as must read. I know it's a controversial call, but "Secret Empire" was a fun read, at least to me. I know there is outrage from the idiots but it was still fun read to me.
    Thanks. What website has those online?

Just look DC comics or Marvel comics, I am sure they have freebies to read being online. I don't know if they will have the variety that free book online services have.

Will Rogers

Technically you can go to https://getcomics.info/ and download or read pretty much any comic ever created. I'm sure it's not legal, and you should support the artist but it's an option. If you do, and you like something, go out and buy it so the creator prospers. You can also pay for monthly services like DC infinite, or Marvel unlimited and read most of their comics online.

Look for good arcs collected in graphic novels or omnibusses. You're not going to want to read hardly any big characters whole line. Find some collected stories you think you might enjoy and have at it. The Hellboy and Sandman library editions are some of my favorite books in the house.

thanks sofnr