Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pig Kidney successfully transplanted on to human.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/surgeon-t...214407308.html

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place for this, if this should be elsewhere then feel free to move it.
    But it's pretty freaking cool.

The patient is legally brain dead and was being kept alive on a ventilator, the family had agreed to let them use her body for this experiment.

This is called xenotransufusion.

What do you guys think are the ethical implication of something like this? How long until the Govt approves more things like this?

Pig Kidney successfully transplanted on to human.

Cool. What is the controversy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place for this, if this should be elsewhere then feel free to move it.

The patient is legally brain dead and was being kept alive on a ventilator, the family had agreed to let them use her body for this experiment.

What do you guys think are the ethical implication of something like this? How long until the Govt approves more things like this?
    This is fantastic. I have no ethical concerns with this.

Sounds like this may allow for us to do away with donor lists for many organs and get people what they need.

I imagine this may be the middle ground scenario until they are able to take your own cells and grow a replacement organ.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Cool. What is the controversy?

That depends on how big you are on animal rights...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    This is fantastic. I have no ethical concerns with this.

Sounds like this may allow for us to do away with donor lists for many organs and get people what they need.

I imagine this may be the middle ground scenario until they are able to take your own cells and grow a replacement organ.

It is a little odd to be putting animal parts in us.

However, this will save a lot of lives, and improve the quality of life for a lot of other people.

Also, this is sort of a depressing note. But for children it's often hard to get them the donor organs they need, since, you can't put an adults heart into a small child, but this could be a real solution to that.

It could also lower the cost a lot, since, how ****ing expensive could a pig heart be considering how many pigs we ****ing eat every year.

We have been using animal parts for a long time -- heart valves are frequently transplanted. If this works, it is great news for those on dialysis, as it will move them up the "list" quickly.

I don't think the organs themselves are extremely expensive, but the medical skill, machinery, and recovery time expensives. Add insurances and drugs, as well.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

When it comes to animal rights, there are only meat eating, dog patting, leather wearing lefties posting here.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

How do you know any of this happened?

"`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemic”" - @LOLGOP

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    How do you know any of this happened?
    They literally show photos of the patient with the kidney strapped to the outside of the leg, with blood flowing inside.

They literally show photos of the patient with the kidney strapped to the outside of the leg, with blood flowing inside.
    So media reports are to be believed only if you see pictures of whatever it is? Reports can't be trusted, but pictures aren't ever faked?

I'm just saying that it's interesting to watch you happily accept a media report on this when you would otherwise do the whole "you can't trust this source" song and dance.

"`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemic”" - @LOLGOP

So media reports are to be believed only if you see pictures of whatever it is? Reports can't be trusted, but pictures aren't ever faked?

I'm just saying that it's interesting to watch you happily accept a media report on this when you would otherwise do the whole "you can't trust this source" song and dance.
    Do you have evidence that these photos are faked?
    We have the tools to examine if photos are faked. And I don't think this doctor is lying about this, I don't know what you game is here.

Do you have evidence that these photos are faked?
    We have the tools to examine if photos are faked. And I don't think this doctor is lying about this, I don't know what you game is here.
    So you're saying you believe reports in the media by default, unless you have evidence that the report is faked?

I trust specific journalists and specific outlets more than others.

Like I'm not going to take something said by Fox or CNN or MSNBC at face value, any more than I would the national inquirer.
    And there are reporters and journalists at organizations that I don't really trust who do very good work and so I give them more runway on stories.

I trust specific journalists and specific outlets more than others.

Like I'm not going to take something said by Fox or CNN or MSNBC at face value, any more than I would the national inquirer.
    And there are reporters and journalists at organizations that I don't really trust who do very good work and so I give them more runway on stories.
    So Yahoo News is an outlet you trust, but CNN reporting this story you wouldn't have believed?

So Yahoo News is an outlet you trust, but CNN reporting this story you wouldn't have believed?
    CNN didn't report this, and Yahoo mostly aggregates stories. I believe this story comes from the Washington Post.

Also, while people should absolutely be skeptical of all media they consume, one of the tests you should use is "who/how does this story benefit this person/group" I just don't see what this doctor has to gain by lying or this reporter has to gain by lying.

Are you really this deeply offended that I don't take CNN seriously as a news outlet? I don't take fox seriously either.
    Like what's wrong with you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast