Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    40,205

    Teams to provide housing for MiLB players starting in 2022


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,428
    Took long enough.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    44,121
    Good. Now give them better meal stipends too. Most of these guys are making 1200 bucks a month. How are they expected to survive on that?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,428
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Good. Now give them better meal stipends too. Most of these guys are making 1200 bucks a month. How are they expected to survive on that?
    Are meals not provided by team catering?

    If not, that seems pretty pathetic considering these are athletes who should be eating high quality foods.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    44,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Are meals not provided by team catering?

    If not, that seems pretty pathetic considering these are athletes who should be eating high quality foods.
    I do think they provide small meal stipends daily. Its not much and it depends on the team. Some teams will feed their players pregame with meals like this. I've seen this a couple of times on social media where these guys get like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and maybe a bag of chips. Its really sad.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,264
    Considering that the salries are paid for by MLB not the minor league teams, one thing they could do is...idk pay them a living wage.

    If every team paid their players a living wage over the course of the year, I think it would come out to something like 3-5 million pers season per team.
    For the price of a bench warmer, you to could sponsor an entire minor league system.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,428
    Yea pbj sandwiches and chips is pathetic. Go prepare some pasta or salads for these guys ffs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    44,121
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Considering that the salries are paid for by MLB not the minor league teams, one thing they could do is...idk pay them a living wage.

    If every team paid their players a living wage over the course of the year, I think it would come out to something like 3-5 million pers season per team.
    For the price of a bench warmer, you to could sponsor an entire minor league system.
    Never going to happen. MLB owners are probably disappointed they only phased out 42 teams that were affiliated with MILB after 2019. The sad thing is it wasn't even pandemic related because they made that decision before COVID.

    I'm surprised they didn't use the excuse that they bled revenue in 2020 and 2021 as to why they couldn't accommodate minor league players better.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-17-2021 at 08:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Never going to happen. MLB owners are probably disappointed they only phased out 42 teams that were affiliated with MILB after 2019. The sad thing is it wasn't even pandemic related because they made that decision before COVID.

    I'm surprised they didn't use the excuse that they bled revenue in 2020 and 2021 as to why they couldn't accommodate minor league players better.
    Right?

    They don't need to sponsor hotels if they just pay them a livable ****ing wage.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,428
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Never going to happen. MLB owners are probably disappointed they only phased out 42 teams that were affiliated with MILB after 2019. The sad thing is it wasn't even pandemic related because they made that decision before COVID.

    I'm surprised they didn't use the excuse that they bled revenue in 2020 and 2021 as to why they couldn't accommodate minor league players better.
    I'm not sure the reason for phasing out those 42 teams but shouldnt they actually get rid of more minor teams?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    44,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    I'm not sure the reason for phasing out those 42 teams but shouldnt they actually get rid of more minor teams?
    I mean I get why they did it to some extent. They are trying to streamline the process, cut travel time, and some minor league affiliates like in the APPL barely draw fans but did they really have to do it? Hundreds of people who worked for those teams now don't have jobs and players in some of those leagues who were paid professionals are now instead back to amateur status. Maybe its a god send for some of those players who had no shot to make the majors anyways but now they have to pursue those dreams elsewhere.

    Its all about cutting costs. Could you realistically get rid of more minor league teams? Sure but does MLB have a monetary issue? If they are going to do that then at least start covering more expenses for existing minor league players.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,428
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I mean I get why they did it to some extent. They are trying to streamline the process, cut travel time, and some minor league affiliates like in the APPL barely draw fans but did they really have to do it? Hundreds of people who worked for those teams now don't have jobs and players in some of those leagues who were paid professionals are now instead back to amateur status. Maybe its a god send for some of those players who had no shot to make the majors anyways but now they have to pursue those dreams elsewhere.

    Its all about cutting costs. Could you realistically get rid of more minor league teams? Sure but does MLB have a monetary issue? If they are going to do that then at least start covering more expenses for existing minor league players.
    I dont mind getting rid of the teams if the savings are redistributed back to other channels.

    Obviously you dont want to squash peoples dreams but I would assume majority of those hundreds of people would be better off pursuing something other than baseball.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    44,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    I dont mind getting rid of the teams if the savings are redistributed back to other channels.

    Obviously you dont want to squash peoples dreams but I would assume majority of those hundreds of people would be better off pursuing something other than baseball.
    For sure. I think you could say that about most minor leaguers who are still playing even after those teams and leagues were cut off by MLB. Eventually you get to a point where MLB owners could justify keeping instructional leagues around of the most talented players and nothing else if they really wanted to. I hope that doesn't happen.

    My thing is MLB had to be embarrassed publicly before they even made some basic concessions for minor league players. Really sad it got to that point. Glad they raised pay and are now affording these players housing at least.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    15,503
    So motels/hotels aren't adequate enough?

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    40,205
    Not when you've got four dudes sharing one motel room who have to live off of fast food more frequently than you'd expect or have to rely on a host family as employees of a billion dollar organization.

    I mean, really, NOBODY should be upset with this news AT ALL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •