Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A dorm would be such a good idea. There are quite a few minor league teams so maybe not completely viable but I wonder how other minor leagues are? Not sure how hockey minors are housed/fed but the Phillies aaa and flyers minors are right in my backyard 20 minutes from eachother. Dorm situation could be funded/shared by both. Iím sure there are other minors from different sports close in geography that itís make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yeah, a baseball dormitory sort of situation seems to make a ton of sense for both the players and the ownership group at large.
    I would agree it's the most logical solution, but I could also see some piahback from players though too. Cuz you also start running into guys who have families with them and all sorts of things. The cleanest route is probably attempt to provide monthly housing stipend of some sort.

Hopefully the housing won't be this miniscule crap that they give to homeless people here in Los Angeles.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    A dorm would be such a good idea. There are quite a few minor league teams so maybe not completely viable but I wonder how other minor leagues are? Not sure how hockey minors are housed/fed but the Phillies aaa and flyers minors are right in my backyard 20 minutes from eachother. Dorm situation could be funded/shared by both. Iím sure there are other minors from different sports close in geography that itís make sense.
    Problem is building those facilities given most cities probably wouldnt have a place where you can just house 40-60 people for 6 months of the year available like that.

Though I wpuld hope they take advantage of it. Maybe those houses that elon musk lives in for 50k each could probably house 2 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Problem is building those facilities given most cities probably wouldnt have a place where you can just house 40-60 people for 6 months of the year available like that.

Though I wpuld hope they take advantage of it. Maybe those houses that elon musk lives in for 50k each could probably house 2 people.
    Right. Itís make sense for year long use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I was gonna suggest share a facility with G League but those guys already get nice housing covered.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It amazes me how much people stick up for billion dollar entities when their employees make dog **** wages. I guess its better these guys sleep in their cars instead.
    The parasocial relationships people form with companies will never make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Hopefully the housing won't be this miniscule crap that they give to homeless people here in Los Angeles.

**** that housing is better than where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    You get billeted with a family. Or at least I did. The team pays teh family X amount per month and you live there and they treat you like family. It's a pretty easy solution. At least for the young guys. I don't know how older guys and families would feel about still being billeted.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Billet guys 25 and under. Teams pay $500 or whatever per month to families to billet them.

Guys over 25 have the option to live in a quarters or dorm type thing that the team still pays for. I don't know if there's any similar rates but maybe you could work something out with sponsors.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Do teams realize how much this could affect the development of players? A comfortable/safe place to get a good nights sleep Wtf are the high performance departments?

^

Most of the guys subject to this probably arent gonna make it. Your higher level round picks (guys who normally make it) will have signing bonuses to cover a decent rent probably.

^

Most of the guys subject to this probably arent gonna make it. Your higher level round picks (guys who normally make it) will have signing bonuses to cover a decent rent probably.
    Most minor leaguers don't "make it", period.

^

But the cost of the whole thing is so minimal in the grand scheme of baseball revenue, that even 1 or 2 extra guys making it every few years would pay for itself.

And those signing bonuses can dry up quickly too. Sure, your first and Seco. D rounders are probably okay. But 4th round slots are usually $400k or so. 5th rounder can easily go into the $200-$250k range. Factor in losing likr 40% of that to taxes and stuff, and now these guys are looking at making $120k possibly last 5 or more years on top of some paltry yearly salaries.

And then loop in some of these international guys. Some make big money, but a ton sign for $100k or less at 16 or 17 years old. Outside of the absolute phenoms, most those guys aren't making it to the majors until they are 23-26 or possibly even later. So now you're talking about making a $60k signing bonus be your supplemental income for 6+ years.

Then add in the NIL deals college athletes can sign these days, and if there's a kid who's on the fence about baseball or football/basketball, you're competing with potential big money coming from their college career, its going to be hard to convince kids to stay with baseball. The idea that they get more money and/or a housing stipend so they don't have to dip into their signing bonus may not keep everyone in baseball, but it's at least something to consider as these guys are potentially getting 5 to 7 figure deals as a college football player.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 10-28-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123